Wait... NOT CORY LOPEZ!!!!! NOOOOOOO!!!

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Stranded in Smithfield, May 7, 2012.

1. Stranded in Smithfield

Stranded in Smithfield Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I had a wave jet banner on the swell info page... "Is that Cory Lopez? No f'n way!" My favorite surfer as a teenager is now a wave jet brand ambassador?

http://surf.transworld.net/1000139745/news/cory-lopez-signs-with-wavejet/

I don't know what I'm more sad about, his endorsement of this kookery or way it makes the man who was 1/2 of the '96 prototype for the modern day shredder (ward was the other 1/2) surf soooo sh!tty. Watch the vid... I'm depressed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh3agz6Hi0w

2. RobG

RobG Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Dude wtf Lopez! That shot of him on it with a helmet and a go pro attached completely ruined all respect I had for him. That wavejet thing doesn't even look fun, he looked like he could barely even surf.

3. pyroarchy

pyroarchy Well-Known Member

May 6, 2012
    Looks like it would create more drag than anything else helpful. Looks like what jet skis have under them...maybe they should just attach a motor on it too!

4. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lol now im going to buy one - specially since he is the new "Global Brand Ambassador"... wow ... soon to be seen in your line up... and you thought sups where wave hogs!

5. TeddyK

TeddyK Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    imagine the SUP version...they have them

6. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I dont see this as that big of a deal.... yeah having them in the lineup creates unfair advantages but the people using them will most likely be lacking in skills or too old/weak to be in the lineup otherwise.

7. Stayabovetheweather

Stayabovetheweather Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    He must be broke and need cash!

8. jwj72

jwj72 Active Member

Apr 2, 2007
    I'm not really bothered by new technology like this, but if the noise that's in that youtube video is the board and it's that loud, I'm going to have to pass on this one.

9. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    EXACTLY WHY IT SUCKS! technological "advance" that allows...hell, encourages...unskilled weak users to be in a lineup they would otherwise not be in.

10. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    But.... that is the essence of mankind... use technology for our benefit.... next time the surfbreak is going off 20 miles down the coast.... walk there. lol.

11. surfislife

surfislife Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    right on RMAC9 people always look for the easy way out.SUP is bad enough in the line up..

12. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Saw that Lopez ad in a Surfing magazine a month or two ago...couldn't believe...now Garrett MacNamara is in one too.

13. surfislife

surfislife Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    That's the problem people who wouldn't be in the line up will be out there now..

14. surftb15

surftb15 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Apparently h got paid > $1,000,000.
    Sheesh, I would do that too for that $.

15. yourdirtymomma

yourdirtymomma Well-Known Member

May 2, 2012
    Brahahahaha! I'm not taking a side in the conversation, but your point is well made and VERY funny.

16. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    Well I have no problems with what you're talking about.. But I think you're getting worked up over a situation that won't happen too often. But if Corey Lopez shows up at my break with this thing I'm probably not going to say anything.Lol

17. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Right. And most of us wouldnt take our car out on a trail where the other people are enjoying the peace and quiet while they walk.

Calling it a technological advance to begin with is questionable when 99% of surfers dont want a motorized surfboard in their lineup.

18. eastcoast

eastcoast Member

Mar 14, 2010
    You should have a license to own/drive one of these things.

19. WeekendWarriorMdVaNc

WeekendWarriorMdVaNc Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2007
    What scares me is Corey wants to ride a Wavejet at Teahupoo....sounds like a recipe for disaster. Look at what happened to McNamara at Jaws---wipeout of the year at the big wave awards.