Do cops like surfers

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by GoodVibes, Jun 8, 2012.

1. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    By no means am I disrespecting cops,but it just seems they are watching me a little to closely lately.I feel a couple times lately they would just sit there and watch me to see if im going to break the law.Im talking 2 Different towns.Like I said,no disrespect but man let me just change and go home.This isnt Point Break.

2. imperial

imperial Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Cops hate EVERYONE...suspicious or not! Don't take it personal.

3. Topo

Topo Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Answer: Sure, as long as you obey the law.

As long as you are not breaking a law there is no reason to fear a police officer. The police officer is a public servant that cannot arrest or detain you without cause. The Police Officer is governed by law just like you are. Helps if you know your rights.

I am amazed at TV programs when a citizen is given the "right" to remain silent & does not. The Police Officer will tell you; "Anything you say, can be held againts you." I have told my kids (now grown) if they ever were in that situation to shut up.

4. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Like every other profession some cops are cool, some are 8============D. Unfortunately the law enforcement business draws more of the latter than the former. I have had some horrendous experiences with the WB cops and some NHC Deputy Sheriffs when I was younger, seemed like having surfing and sailing stickers on the back of my Trooper meant "probable cause." That said, there were some stand-up guys too. Trey Benson in WB to name one. He's a private detective now--dude is a super nice guy and always has been for the past couple decades I've known him. I've had some good conversations and interactions with all the LEO's around here--especially on the water. It's especially nice when the Wildlife Officers and the Coasties already know you are competent, that way they never stop you.
    But, I have always found that a smile and good attitude go a long way. Don't give a **** a reason to be a ****!

5. wave1rider65

wave1rider65 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Surfers have always been watched close in surf towns especially if you're young......I'ts all about the stigma that comes with surfing, some warranted some not. It's always going to be there so just watch your P's and Q's if you get confronted. Cops are taught to be suspicious of everyone. You are not innocent until proven guilty so don't show your ass in public.

6. a2tall

a2tall Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Spot on, Be Respectful and it will get you a long way, its summer now cops are looking for any reason to bring you down, they deal with a ton of bull everyday

7. RonnieO

RonnieO Member

Jun 8, 2012
    It really depends where you are, and the environment you're surfing in. I live in a somewhat, as many would say (not that I like to use the word) 'ghetto' beach town area. It also depends on the kind of cops that are watching you.

At my local break, a major county beach park, there are both Park Police, which are sticklers for speed limit laws (etc. you WILL get ticketed for 27 in a 25 on the main stretch) but are mostly just looking out for people. There are fights that have happened here - locals and non locals, general public, as well as fisherman against surfers. There are also federal National Park Police at my break, but they are really not out to get people, especially not surfers - when they know we are among the most environmentally conscious people out there on the water.

Then there are the county cops, Suffolk PD...don't get me started about them. Although they are rarely seen at the beach - I'm not sure if they even have jurisdiction there, especially not down on the beach itself.

8. Flying eye

Flying eye Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    to answer the original question, I'm a cop, have been for almost 20 yrs. I surf, and I like myself. The real answer is this, the police could care less that you surf. I know quite a few that surf. What we do care about is this, as stated before, don't break the law, and if you get stopped in your car you probably committed a traffic offense. As far as not talking to the police when being questioned, it usually doesn't matter, if you are in custody I got you anyway, and I'm just trying to put the icing on the cake. But by not cooperating you could be jamming yourself worse. cooperation and honesty go a long way. Finally, yes there are a$$holes in law enforcement, just as there are everywhere.

9. TeddyK

TeddyK Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    "The police officer is a public servant that cannot arrest or detain you without cause. The Police Officer is governed by law just like you are."....ignorance is bliss

10. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    One of my best friends is a cop...and he surfs.

11. DAOCHUI

DAOCHUI Member

Jun 9, 2012

Yeah you sound like a cop...and an asshole

12. pyroarchy

pyroarchy Well-Known Member

May 6, 2012
    Cops hate anyone who is having fun while they are stuck working for the man. They don't even know more than half of the laws they are "sworn" to uphold and protect.

13. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    like flying eye said, just be respectful. if you act like daochui, we will write you up for everything we can. plus cops are disgruntled because they are hated until they are needed.

14. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    couldnt have put it any better lol.cops look at surfers like a bunch of burnout punks.iv been stopped a few times coming home and they look at me like im out there buying drugs.theres no beaches in elizabeth.dont take it personal,its just a police state!

15. fishnotphish

fishnotphish Active Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Really no one stirring the pot on this one?? ill kick it off then... F***K COPS. I'll say it till the day I die. I grew up taught not to speak/deal with them unless you absolutely have to and i will teach my kids to do the same. and love hearing the countless others I have met that hold that same life rule.

No man was created to hold as much power as the title was created to carry and by seeing it abused no matter what state i live in or country i visit with complete disrespect to the tax paying citizens. it is disgusting. seeing that there are cops in this forum (gross) I can't wait for the barrage of fire. so bring it. but i'll end it with a quote

“We cannot expect people to have respect for law and order until we teach respect to those we have entrusted to enforce those laws.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

16. super fish

Sep 2, 2008
    meh........

17. fishnotphish

Oct 11, 2011
    kinda hard to argue the truth. good boy. extra donut for you.

18. fishnotphish

Oct 11, 2011
    and you def aren't needed... so I guess you will just have to stay hated.

19. whitewater

whitewater Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    I feel like 95 percent of cops have better things to do than to harass surfers for surfing too close to a pier, writing a j-walking ticket, or writing a ticket for 27 in a 25. Go out and arrest the crack head that's breaking into peoples houses and stealing shi*. Go after the methlabs and meth heads and freakin "gangstas" who got nothin better to do than to rape, pillage and plunder. For the record, I'm totally cool with cops as long as they treat me with respect and treat me like a human being. For a lot of them I've seen a certain attitude "you're wrong, i'm right, and I know what happened despite what you say" that comes along with having a badge and a gun. I personally could not be a cop because I would not be able to sleep at night knowing I gave a kid a ticket for smoking a joint or drinking a beer.

It's the dirty and a-hole cops that give you guys a bad name.

20. super fish

Sep 2, 2008
    i guess it really depends on where you live. i havent seen any police bother surfers down here. even when the beaches are closed for big waves and rips, they allow you to surf. i dont eat donuts/coffee either.