Do cops like surfers

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by GoodVibes, Jun 8, 2012.

1. pyroarchy

pyroarchy Well-Known Member

May 6, 2012
    That all depends what area of the country you live in, what area of law enforcement you are going into and the actual city/town. Some places its rather simple to get in, especially if you have friends already there. I have some friends in high school that became cops, they said it was rather easy around here, and they come from doing drugs and hanging out in the "law breaking" circle of people. That said in some places its much harder, like places where the demand is not as great.

Cops will profile the heck out of people, and lie to people to try find dirt on them, but if you lie to a cop your obstructing justice. The only thing I hope for is more cop reform, otherwise the hate will only grow more for them. I have met some cops who let me off of simple victim-less crimes, and others who have charged me with crimes I did not commit out of pure spite, forcing me to hire a lawyer to get charges dropped. Here the corruption rate is high, every other month I read about cops stealing, selling, doing hard drugs and money. The good cop to bad cop ratio is about 5:1 i believe from my experience.

2. Etl1692

Etl1692 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2011
    No disrespect, but are you being serious? Most police officers were the losers in school. Never necessarily got good grades, and say to themselves well sh*t I'll just become an officer. Hard to be an Officer?????? really??? If by hard you mean "squeaky clean", no criminal background, education history, and volunteer work! Give me a break any other job requires that sh*t. Any scrub with a good background can just decide to be a cop. Half the kids that are cops now that I graduated are a joke, and I laugh everytime I see them!

Now dont get me wrong I have almost 5 officers in my family. So I am very aware, and do respect them and many others. But what I am saying is "MOST" cops are tools/loser/idiots to say the least. It does suck too because if an officer is having a bad day, and you have a run in, you can count on your day being a lot worse than theirs. I'm self reliant, have means of protection, know cpr and other skills required to survive, so I dont need to be relying on the POLICE!

BUT THERE ARE COOL COPS OUT THERE. SMALL %

3. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    so if you dont need to rely on police, you are going to rely on yourself to find out who the drunk driver was that side swiped your car last night, kidnapped your child, stole your car, killed someone in your family, stole all your surfboards, mugged you while you and your wife were walking back to your car after a nice dinner..."are you being serious". you knowing cpr and actually performing cpr when someone does not have a heart beat is a big difference. owning a firearm and actually pulling the trigger is a big difference. you must not be serious. next time your love one gets saved by a police officer you can laugh at yourself, because you are the real joke.

4. Etl1692

Jun 12, 2011
    Hahahah really? Wow man you must live in a pretty terrible place...... Jesus! Kidnapped my kid? terrible parenting. Killed someone in my family? What the hell are the cops gonna do if they are already dead? Stolen surfboards? dont leave em around like an idiot. All this can be preventable, maybe besides the drunk driver, but sh*t anything can happen. I rely on myself..... You go and rely on your Gov't. See where that takes ya bud. Obviously sometimes you need police (NO SH*T) but when they aren't there. You YOURSELF needs to be prepares.

(And at no point did I mean to offend you. But damn dude relax.) Just chiming in. Eat a xanax or something

Sorry grammar is all messed up. At work......... Lil busy

5. Etl1692

Jun 12, 2011
    You can't soley rely on other people. PERIOD!

6. Etl1692

Jun 12, 2011
    But back to my main point... Hard to be an Officer?????? really??? If by hard you mean "squeaky clean", no criminal background, education history, and volunteer work! Give me a break any other job requires that sh*t. Any scrub with a good background can just decide to be a cop. Half the kids that are cops now that I graduated are a joke, and I laugh everytime I see them!

7. super fish

Sep 2, 2008
    yes, those are all extreme examples but they happen everywhere all the time...but whatever. you can live in your bubble of strict self-reliance out in the wild wild west.

no, if you want to be a dental hygientist, there is no one knocking on your neighbors door asking about you. yes, i read that you laugh at the kids you graduated the first time you posted that. does a nurse require volunteer work? does a construction worker require a clean criminal history? does a person that works at a hair salon require no prior misdemeanors? not all jobs require anything close to the extensive background check of becoming a cop. your statements are full of personal opinions and no factual information.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  8. Etl1692

Jun 12, 2011
    Now we are talking! Sorry to anger you good sir...... I agree with both sides. Just playing some devils advocate.

9. Wattss

Wattss Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Negative experiences stand out in our memory, and make a much greater impact on us than positive ones.
    Thats important to keep in mind when coming to your conclusion with cops.

Also I'd like to point something out that has not been brought up yet, but is incredibly important. Say you live a
    clean life. You have an encounter with a cop. That cop does not know you, he does not know if you've got a gun under your seat, or a knife down your pants. He does not know that you live a 'clean' life. Because of that, and due to coworkers, friends, stories of friends of friends, etc. falling due to citizens who decided to break the law, cops have to treat you as if you are potentially dangerous. When approaching a car, I don't know if you've just racked the sawed off shotty on the passenger seat. I really dont. Go on youtube and search for cop killing videos. You will find thousands. I watched a vid about a year ago that still haunts me. Routine traffic stop, guy starts shooting, the cop is mic'ed up, and you hear him breath his last as he was shot in the throat. That same cop may have given you a hard time the week before for speeding, when you were late for something and were incredibly pissed at him for pulling you over.. thinking this bully is just power hungry.. I was only going 12 over.

There are so many horror stories of cops, why? Because people remember, and are proabbly more likely to retell a bad cop story than a positive, or much more even a neutral cop story.

Cops are a necessary part of society when a society has people that will regularly take advantage of you. Try to think of your situation in boarder terms. I can't emphasize the phrase "first world problem" enough. "Complains about cops bothering them....Here's a meme I feel appropriate for some people in this thread:
    COPS: "Oblivious them when they die in the line of duty, give a helping hand, and maintin a level order within society.... Complain when they harass me and my friends after the bar".

Obviouslly there are some bad apples. There are bad apples in every profession as was previously stated. It seems like some of you guys fail to understand that concept, and have not only a negative opinion of cops but a "COPS ARE SH*T, F*CK THE COPS ALL THE TIME" kind of mentality. Maybe it's time to appreciate them a bit more. It's the 99 days that you do not have to deal with them that you should be thankful. Why, because they did their job, preventing that DD from hitting you or your fam.

There are many more points that I could speak of....As fish stated, cops are hated until they are needed.... Keep that in mind.. Nobody ever PLANS to have something bad happen to them...You can prepare, but somethings are just unforeseeable.

/endrant

10. Etl1692

Jun 12, 2011
    A nurse absolutely requires volunteer work! Proabably more than most careers. Construction worker come on.... Hair salon misdemeanors. Bro your gettin a little carried away here. Almost all jobs require a background check, personal references, and so on. You send out an application without those and see how you do in todays world. I'm saying it does not take much to be an officer. I have seen it first hand. You gotta be joking man. Anyway your gettin way off topic. And they are farrrr from my opinion.

11. Etl1692

Jun 12, 2011
    Trust me I'm on the job search and in this state the economy is in, if you dont have a clean record, some volunteering work, references etc. you aint getting sh*t.

Plain and simple. And that bruddah is a FACT!

12. super fish

Sep 2, 2008
    our conversation is going in 0's

13. Etl1692

Jun 12, 2011
    Lets just go surf............... :cool:

14. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    You sound like a decent 5-0,We'll keep you around.

15. super fish

Sep 2, 2008

thanks man! i am not a dbag cop. if people mess up then they get in trouble, if they don't, i don't ,mess with them.

all joking aside, you should call up your local department and do a ride along for a shift. then you can experience exactly what it is like to do their job. it would be a very interesting experience for you and you can get a new viewpoint/aspect. all you do is call up and say hey i am so and so interested in becoming a police officer and looking to do a ride along for one shift. most departments allow you do them, some don't. minus seeing their daily work duties, you could even have some really good life experiences in those 8-12 hours. you never know what call you will get.

16. idsmashh

idsmashh Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    honestly a verry good read watts.. there are deffinitly 2 sides to this story.. And while I hate when cops talk down to me, I do feel like that type of attitude is neccessary when dealing with criminals and those wannabe thug types. And how do these cops know whether I am one of those types?? I deffinitly get where you are coming from, but i still stand my ground on one point. Most cops are drunk on power.

17. 1234austin

1234austin Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2008
    As stated before cops COULD treat everyone the same and COULD be soo easy to get along with if stopped for ANY reason, but you also have to take in that it is their job to profile people! I am in the academy now after taking 2.5 years of having an investigator rip apart my life to find every piece of info he could.(the poly was nerve racking too )I love when people say how cops profile because again thats their job! And its not even just cops, whether you want to admit it or not EVERYONE PROFILES people they dont know in their mind or aloud, its just the way it is.Again, if its 1030 at night aand i pull a car over for a tail light, how do I know the difference between a little old lady trying to get home and someone running kilos and holding that shotty on his lap...saw this vid in the academy of a dude who had a gun sitting on his lap and when the cop came up to the window he shot right through the door of his car into the cops chest...people are crazy man...

* just a side note, sometimes cops have to follow people, not really bc they are investigating you but I do know for a fact that in certain depts the laptops in the cop car lock you out if you do not run a tag every 30 min...*

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  18. pyroarchy

pyroarchy Well-Known Member

May 6, 2012
    So racial profiling is ok? Sounds like your on your way to becoming a real d*ck of a cop! Their laptops LOCK them out for not running a tag every 30 mins? How would they get any work done then? That does'nt even make any sense austin. You are a real good candidate for their brainwashing scheme it sounds like.

19. Dawn_Patrol

Dawn_Patrol Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Let me make sure i have this straight...you are in the law enforcement field and are saying that i might be getting followed by a cop simply because his laptop is telling him its time to do something???

20. Bronze Whaler

Bronze Whaler Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    who said racial besides you?

I've never had any trouble with cops because I don't break the law and I even when I did blaze a ton I didn't fit the obvious profile which, comically, always led to pot heads profiling me and asking me if I was a cop.

In my experience when I was interacting with law enforcement I was always truthful and it got me out of a few small jams.

If you think it's cool to look project the thug or hippie image then you are intentionally calling attention to yourself. If it's just what you think is cool and you're in compliance then you won't have any real trouble but I'd ask myself if it's really worth it to portray yourself in that way.