Joyce

Discussion in 'Weather and Surf Forecasting' started by weathermaang, Aug 23, 2012.

1. weathermaang

weathermaang Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2012
    I like the looks of her path. Making her turn right around bermuda, she may unload a nice little groundswell around midweek.. would be nice to get in the water for a little warm up session before Isaac rolls through!

2. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    ...and another wave behind her.

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    No matter what we are getting swell all up the coast, too much activity right now to not, time to hit the pool and get my laps in, WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

4. live aloha

live aloha Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    I am literally on my knees begging for waves. Haven't surfed a single f'ng decent wave in over a year and about to LOSE MY MIND!!! By the way, to anyone contemplating the inland living thing...DO NOT DO IT. Not only will you miss the half-decent days that show up unannounced, but random b.s. will pop up conspiratorially and ruin every single solitary surfing opportunity until you get to the point where you start saying things like "I think I might be willing to kill a man to get some waves" or start yelling at the NOAA wave models on your computer monitor, accusing Mother Ocean of being a "dirty skanky whore". It just gets a little too weird sometimes, and I think we'd all be better off living near the sea. Well, I actually believe everyone else should take a hike, and I will live by the sea. I need a slave or two to make my boards, but everyone else should go live in Baltimore so I can paddle out in peace. :p

Happy trails, here's to the start of another (hopefully for real this time) hurricane season!

By the way, about that whole murder thing, I am TOTALLY JOKING! No need to report me to the Fuzz. I will confess, however, that I did once kick a turtle. It was a total accident though, and I did cry so it doesn't matter anyway.

5. weathermaang

Aug 17, 2012
    I've gotta say, this is one of my favorite times to be an east coast surfer. Granted Nor'easters usually produce the best days in the winter/spring.. but there's something about this time of the Hurricane season, when Africa gets it's revolver loaded up and starts firing them off, one after another.. gives you something to froth about every day for a couple weeks... anyone else turn into a total cane junky in late August/Sept?

6. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I broke out my old short board this morning and got some surprisingly good shore break rides on some decent sized swell.... not sure whats sending todays swell, western Long Island...

7. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    live aloha, I do all of those things (and they all happen to me), and I live 10 minutes from the beach

8. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    My co-workers and family members think i'm crazy. "Aren't you afraid?" "You are praying FOR a hurricane while everybody else is running to Lowes and Home Depot? You're nuts".

9. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Joyce could be choice.

10. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    HAHAHA, nice

11. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
  12. Mid-Life Crisis

Mid-Life Crisis Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2012
    So how is that surf on the Severn River? :p

I hear ya about the land-locked thing and totally agree. Kinda took living near the ocean for granted for the 5 years I was there, but now that I've been away from it for almost 20 years, I realize my mistake.

Anyway, 3 cheers for the late summer wave machine. Let's go clean and green!

13. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    I'm not getting excited here in Jerz. She's looks to be weak, somewhat fast moving, staying east of Bermuda....yawn....maybe the next one.

14. apbb

apbb Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Well, on Wednesday its saying Chest high and clean for my beach which basically translates to head-high barrels with the jetty. Magic Seaweed has Tuesday (??) as a 5 star day basically all day, which i find surprising. Good thing i have basically all week off from preseason to finally get a bit of a tropical storm swell.

15. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    looks like tuesday and wednesday are gonna be the days....lets hope this holds! also have the 5 star for down here which is very rare

16. Mid-Life Crisis

Mid-Life Crisis Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2012
    From the 5pm AST NHC discussion on Joyce:

SATELLITE DATA INDICATE THAT THE CENTER OF JOYCE HAS UNEXPECTEDLY
    BECOME EXPOSED.

Sounds like Madonna, minus the "unexpectedly" modifier...

THE DEEP CONVECTION...WHICH WAS EARLIER THOUGHT TO
    BE PARTIALLY COVERING THE CENTER...HAS BEEN CARRIED FAR TO THE
    NORTHWEST ALONG WITH A STRONG MID-LEVEL CYCLONIC CIRCULATION...
    LEAVING THE LOW-LEVEL CENTER BEHIND...

ONE OF TWO OPTIONS SEEMS PLAUSIBLE IN THE SHORT TERM WITH REGARD TO
    THE INTENSITY FORECAST. A NEW LOW-LEVEL CENTER COULD FORM IN
    ASSOCIATION WITH THE MID-LEVEL CYCLONIC CENTER AND BECOME DOMINANT.
    THE OTHER POSSIBILITY IS THAT NO NEW CENTER WILL FORM AND JOYCE
    WILL DISSIPATE.

So, not the most robust of forecasts, but if Joyce can survive the next 24-48 hours, some of those early/mid week swell forecasts should verify.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  17. weathermaang

Aug 17, 2012
    NOAA has updated their max winds forecast... looks like IF she does restrengthen, it won't be until after she rounds the bend... there's too much dry air in her vicinity right now.

Still hoping for the best though.

18. holyokesurfer

holyokesurfer Member

Feb 26, 2012
    The days from August 20th to September 10th are my favorite 30 days to be in Jersey.

19. rtftfwd

rtftfwd Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2008
    hummm...
    31 minus 20 = 11
    + 10...

BUT Aug 21-23rd DID feel like 6 days, and Labor Day weekend always feels like 4.5 days, we'll all agree that the following Tuesday feels like 3 days, then Sept 5th is Giants opener, so that only feels like a half day, though the 6th feels like 2.5 days, and that 8-9th weekend always feels like 3.5 days.

Yes! - I agree, August 20 - Sept 10 are my favorite 30 days too!

20. apbb

apbb Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Wow, i need to find something else to do next summer. There was pretty good swell up until and on Memorial Day and then all of a sudden it just went flat all summer except for some wind swell here and there. Now its all picking up again around Labor Day.

I know this always happens but this year just seemed a lot worse than the last few. Hurricanes need to start sooner like in July next year.