Was I wrong to take this kid down?

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by MFitz73, Oct 8, 2012.

1. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Has this surpassed the bongs/herb thread?

2. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    It says something that the biggest threads are about bongs, baby wipes, and taking out kids, but figuring out what that is would take too much effort.

3. newenglandflatness

newenglandflatness Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    As is generally the case with these questions on these forums, I feel the answer lies somewhere in the middle of these insane extremes being taken by various posters. Was it necessary to take out the kids legs on your first wave of the day? No, probably not. Is the kid going to be okay, and maybe learn a lesson? Yup. We live in a crowded world and surf in crowded breaks. Some people just suck, both at surfing and/or at life. Don't bring yourself down to someone's level with violence, and don't eviscerate someone for falling onto someone in a pretty harmless attempt to teach some respect. I get the sense by the fact that you even posted this, Fitz, that you might realize you toed the line there, but you certainly didn't go over it, and no one got hurt.

I've taken lately to surfing isolated, sometimes variable and inconsistent waves where at least I know no one will be, to avoid what has become an increasingly volatile and aggro surf scene. When I do happen to be surfing a main break on a small day, I'll certainly let some minor breaches of etiquette slide - surfing is meant to enjoy the ocean, not to pit ourselves against one another in the pursuit of that goal...until hurricane season rolls around that is.

4. Longtimerider

Longtimerider Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Lol..This is silly. Surfing has MANY risks, and getting pushed off of your board, after dropping in on someone and landing in WATER, is not that big of a deal. I've seen nasty fin cuts, people getting hit by the board so hard they had to carry them out of the water, horrendous jellyfish stings that looked like welted burns, and shark and bluefish bites. No one got hurt, and hopefully the kid learned a little lesson. Let's go check the waves. In the greater scheme of things, THAT was not even important..Later..

5. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Maybe taking out kids with baby wipes stuck in their buts while hitting the bong attached to a go pro?

6. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Pullin' tubes in the tube!

Imagine that with the little music set up you were talking about a few weeks back.

7. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    last time I was in Costa Rica, we were at Ollies Pt, me and 3 friends plus one other boat with 2 guys from San Diego had it head+ and perfect for a couple hrs, then a boatload of Brazilians showed up, there were a couple of families age range from about 12 to older than me, I'd guess late 50s. They surfed in that completely etiquette free manner they are known for. We had a longboard on the boat so I swam back and grabbed it. Nice 10ft RA single fin. I position myself way inside and say (in English) first person to drop in on me gets plowed. Of course, the youngest Brazilian, maybe 12, paddle-battles then drops in on me. So I stepped back onto the tail to try stall and go above him, but I miss-timed it and ran right over him. Nose of board then fin hit him right in the shins. I asked him if he was ok, he said si, and I paddled away. Meanwhile the kid's whole family has seen the whole incident. Father, grandfather, brothers/cousins. All tough-guy Brazilian MMA looking types. Seeing as how I'm in a completely remote place in a foreign 3rd world country, I decide I don't want to get my skull cracked open and I play it apologetic and humble to the kids dad, who looks to be in this mid-30s, the guy just looks at me, smiles and laughs and goes "no problem" - meanwhile his kid is bleeding from the shin and obviously in intense pain. He checks to make sure he is ok and we all surfed there for another 2 hrs and no one made the slightest reference to the incident. I saw the guy later that night at the bars and I apologized again. The guy said "no problem, he need to get tough, get beat up a little." Had this incident happened anywhere in America with Americans, one can only imagine the ensuing coddling, whining and self-righteous threatening and yelling on the part of both the kid and the elders. The kid in that video got way less than he deserved on the wave and deserved to get a backhand across the face for saying **** off in response.

8. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012

Yeah you're right... There are only altercations in the water in the US. Everywhere else in the world people are super friendly.... That is not only ridiculous, it is just wrong.

Did it make you feel good when you saw a 12 year old in pain? No... You wouldn't apologize if you weren't afraid of his dad??? Cool..

That could have easily happened to the kid in the video. Would that have been a good result? I dont think Fitz would have been happy if that happened... That's why it was a bad idea...

9. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Very well put sir. I applaud this.

10. austinj215

austinj215 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
  11. KillaKiel

KillaKiel Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012

Please put your YouTube video of this back up

12. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Ah yes, the birth of the infamous "Fitzpedo" One of the top 10 all time threads on this here forum.

13. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

14. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    bump

make si grate againe

15. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Ahhh I remember this threade!

Although I forgot what the video is like

16. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    This was an AMAZING thread for sure! Absolutely top 10!

I remember when it was first posted, and I thought it was hilarious. I pissed myself reading it haha.

17. KillaKiel

KillaKiel Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    All I know is fitz and SJB rocked the same monikers on YouTube and loved how it got folks in a tizzy. Took that from out. That was dope.

...And we thought it was bad back then.

Seriously moderators, you actually had a really cool thing with these threads. Outside of actually being in the ocean and surfing (except those times in the Chesapeake Bay and Typhoon Lagoon) these threads were it. Actually entertaining.

Seriously, the hijacking of MagicSeaweed. Even if it's kooky, that's funny. Surfing is supposed to be fun and everything about it minus stupid, dangerous kook behavior. Perhaps watching Riding Giants could put some perspective on it.

18. LI Waterman

LI Waterman Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Video on youtube not avail? Can you re-post. Dying to see it lol..