Surf and College?

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by titsandpits, Oct 25, 2012.

1. titsandpits

titsandpits Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Thinking about a few colleges...UNCW, Coastal Carolina, Stockton, TCNJ maybe... Does anyone have any recommendations for a good surf community school or with surf teams/etc. Just looking for a school that has a large population of similar minded beach goers, spongers, surfers... Not looking to go any further than SC and East Coast preferably. Thanks oh and I live in NJ near Manasquan if that gives better insight.

2. meatloaf

meatloaf Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    HAh. Why in the hell would you waste your money on a surf trip to somewhere thats no better than the northeastern seaboard in the winter and is even colder? Couldnt be to avoid crowds...In the WINTER! Go to PUERTO RICO or BARBADOS.

3. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Come to UNCW and you will have no regrets. 10-15 min. from the beach, warm most of the year, and lots of people who actually surf. Even when there aren't waves I still make it to the beach 3-4 times a week. I love it here and definitely made the right choice staying in Wilmington.

4. sbrajer05

sbrajer05 New Member

Oct 10, 2012
    When I was at the University of Rhode Island there was a fairly sizable group of people and they had a surf club. For a super small state it packs a pretty nice array of quality breaks in. I went to grad school at Monmouth and it opened me up to a lot of different spots in that area that I'm sure you're already familiar with. Just make sure you can afford either- get lots of scholarships if you can.

5. sbrajer05

sbrajer05 New Member

Oct 10, 2012
    and ps if you're looking for quality waves i would stay away from Coastal Carolina-- from what i've read and my own experience SC just doesn't have very many quality waves

6. dlrouen

dlrouen Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I did not go to UNCW, but I live in Wilmington. UNCW has a top tier surf team and the area beaches have really great vibes. National Geographic recently came out with a list of the Top 20 Surf Towns - WB made the cut, among other world renown breaks. Wilmington gets its fair share of waves & OBX is only a few hours away. Excellent community and great people. You will not regret it.

7. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    ^What he said. If work and family commitments didn't keep me here, I could move to Wilmington in a second. I always look forward to visiting my friends there.

8. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    you can get plenty of waves in south carolina and still get your work done...which should be your priority if you're going to even bother spending your money to go to college.

Myrtle beach is one of the least consistent and smaller waved beaches in SC, but the college of charleston is only 20 min from the folly pier and just a few more to the washout (a few jetties to choose from and spread out any crowd).

The another good thing about SC is the weather. The water can get down to 45 deg for a while in the peak of winter, but air temps rarely get below 45 deg.

9. nyy5115

nyy5115 New Member

Oct 10, 2012
    Rhode Island colleges...i go to RWU. theres also uri and salve regina. all about 20 min away from good beaches except salve which is on 1st beach in newport

10. ridewaves

ridewaves Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2008
    I go to Stockton, and while there is no surf club, there are a lot of us who surf the many locations close to campus. There are so many great places to surf. Besides the fact that Stockton has a great Environmental Science program and that I am going to school for half price, the proximity to the beach was the deciding factor for me going here. It was my only choice; I didn't apply anywhere else. It's the cheapest option as opposed to moving out of state, but this is just my two cents.

11. tacoTC

tacoTC Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Echoing what ridewaves said, Stockton is a solid choice, especially for fall and winter surf. My sister went there. I'm from South Jersey, so it depends on where you're from, tuition etc. A growing school for sure, 20 minutes from AC's beaches, a 30-mile trip up the parkway to Long Beach Island. Plenty of summer jobs too if you're not from the area and plan to stick around for the summer. Also have a few friends who surf and who went to the University of Rhode Island. One studied Marine Engineering and works in the surf industry now. He loved it there. Good surf communities in both places. Hope this helps.

12. titsandpits

Sep 4, 2012
    Obviously you've never been to college because their harvard in Puerto Rico is considered to a community college in the states....btw I want to go to a decent school if you didnt get the hint.

13. titsandpits

Sep 4, 2012
    Ive really been deciding on either there or staying in NJ.. Im going through college on basically the Armys paycheck by joining the reserves, is there bases within a 1 hour distance? And do you know any guys that go there that are from Jersey and what their perspective is on it because for me its about a 10 hour drive and I know Im gonna want to see my mom and brother everynow and then. Thanks for the input guys one of the biggest decisions of my young life so far :)

14. titsandpits

Sep 4, 2012
    Stockon is a solid choice, but I heard about 60% of the school goes home on weekends is this true?

15. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Gnaractually is from Dirty Jer-z and attends UNCW, maybe you should ask him.

Closest Army base is in Fayetteville--closer to Raleigh.

But, in the spirit of my remaining consistent: DO NOT GO TO UNCW!!!! GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

16. titsandpits

Sep 4, 2012
    Why dont you life UNCW?

17. oar404

oar404 Member

Mar 29, 2009
    I went to UNH and the campus is about 20 minutes from the coast. NH may have a small coastline but it's packed with good breaks- as long as you don't mind cold water.

18. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I don't like 85% of the people it attracts--mainly those who instantly become "surfers" the moment they move here. My comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek though. I'm sure you're cool--especially if we're not surfing the same break. :p

19. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I actually grew up in wilmy so I can't really comment on the distance factor but one of my roommates is from up your way and on the surf club and he seems to enjoy it here. It really depends if you want to get away from home and be more on your own or not. But UNCW is a great school for surfing, studying, and partying as long as you can stay out of trouble; cops can be really strict down here at times.

20. gromsurfer123

gromsurfer123 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    The surf at UNCW is sad at best. have fun surfing chest high mushy waves. the wind is constantly onshore

it is not half as good as the outer banks, which is still 5 hours away by car. stay out of NC, their surf sucks unless you live on the OBX