Sandy all inclusive thread

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by super fish, Oct 27, 2012.

1. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Thanks for the report^ Anyone know how central NJ is?

2. austinj215

austinj215 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I was out this from this morning til about 2 and it was/is pretty fun. I think the swell is dying down but there were still some decent waves when I left. Also for some reason no one's allowed near the road or on the beach but the cops are letting surfers in the water. Finally, that boardwalk is trashed.

3. juliaep

juliaep Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I heard that in Bay Head there are gas leaks and the possibility for explosions and they're not letting people on the roads.

4. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Anyone know if Assateague National Park is open tomorrow? Specifically the over sand permit area.

I've dialed the ranger station there, but the line goes dead after one ring. Sounds crazy, but have to wonder if the bay & ocean converged on the buildings out there.

5. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    yankee: Let me know if you find out any info on Assateague. Ocean City flooded over, so I'm sure the ocean met the bay down there too, hopefully it didn't wipe out the offroad section.

Hope everybody is OK up north, that was one hell of a storm. Good Luck.

6. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I was up in long branch around 2pm. Definitely some ones coming through. Chest high and glassy. Saw a few little barrels... Would have been super fun if I didn't have the fact that I lost everything in water up to the ceiling on my mind. Gonna be a long road back! Hope everyone is safe

7. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Will do, Koki. Driving over there tomorrow. Will try the Natl Park OSV side, then State side if Natl is shut down.

And ditto what KB said: hope things start to improve for you guys up north.
    One of my best friends lost his house in the carnage at Breezy Pt. And those Mantoloking fires, jeez. A brutal storm from hell.

8. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    I hope you guys can get back on your feet right away. You deserve lots of waves and lots of barrels.

9. RobG

RobG Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    To the people wondering how the waves are in NJ - you must not realize how much debris and raw sewage is floating around in the water right now. Surfing would not be a great idea.

To those who surf in NJ - why don't we all take a little break from surfing and instead volunteer our free time to help cleanup this mess. I may be without power but at least my house is still standing. There are much more important things than waves right now, NJ needs a lot of help.

Volunteer hotline: 1-800-jersey7

See you out there.

10. Recycled Surfer

Recycled Surfer Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Couldn’t agree more. Anyone who lives in or near any coastal town in NJ is not thinking about surfing right now. I live about 5 min off the island and have seen the damage done on both sides. While me and my neighbors had substantial damage its nothing compared to what happened on the islands. Anyone who can volunteer their help would be greatly appreciated. The video and pics on the news do show the magnitude of what happened but being on the ground and seeing, hearing, & smelling what took place will blow you away. Also, I spoke to one of the CDC people who were accessing health concerns - If you knew what is in the water right now you would stay out for a while till the runoff is done and the ocean has time to clean itself. Thanks to all who are or plan to help out. Take Care and Good Luck.

11. Henny

Henny Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Hang in there .Been through quite a few..hope everyone gets back on track asap...best of luck recovering from that big *****.

12. juliaep

juliaep Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2011
  13. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Assateague National Park was closed again today. NPS personnel at the entrance in a truck making sure that no one goes through. One of the NPS guys I spoke with said that crews are clearing out debris & sand on the roadways. He confirmed that the ocean & the bay did join up in 3 or 4 places during Sandy. He also said that North Beach may be open on Friday Nov 2. It's day-to-day, depends on the pace of the clean up.

Assateague State Park is open. Erosion is noticeable on the dunes. The bars seem re-arranged to some degree. The surf was exactly as predicted by SI; looked pretty good but it was mushy for much of the day; got better towards sunset today with nice clean sets rolling in, although most of the bigger stuff was dumping closeouts. Actually was fun waves out there today. Water seemed clean.

BTW, the Assateague wild horses were quite evident slowly walking through the state beach parking lot. I gotta say, it's amazing to me that those guys survive natural events like this. Maybe some horses didn't make it? Anyways, we were wondering how they survive in the maw of a hell storm like Sandy. Tough critters.

Continued rough news from guys in NYC (Breezy Pt) and NJ. Discouraging stuff. Just hoping that things steadily improve up there.

14. ScorchieLeWave

ScorchieLeWave Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Sorry for those of you in New York/New Jersey and elsewhere who have to pretty much sit this one out or clean up one beach well enough to surf. It's hard to sit out during the fall swell season. In New England, we've had a slow-fade of nice windswell/groundswell with clean offshores (at least at E and NE facing beaches). Probably large swell and mixed wind conditions at the south-facers.
    So Sandy really delivered fabulous surf with plenty of solid 13s+ sets sprinkled in there. Those of you struggling will have to wait a while, perhaps even beyond this upcoming week's noreaster which will be kind of sloppy in the mid-atlantic area, which is too bad. Hang in there and hopefully you can get the most important beaches cleaned up some. Perhaps some of the beaches cannot be surfed for a long time - you may have to travel somewhere else for a while.
    I won't say I took Sandy's panties off but at least got on top of some nice mounds of perfection.
    :cool:
    PS Good luck with the cleanup and my prayers to the injured and deceased.

15. ziptiespec

ziptiespec Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2010
  16. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    just found out we got cable back this afternoon...been out since sunday night. i've got a ton of pics of ocnj that i'll post up after i've cleaned myself up & had some food & a beer. i haven't even thought about surfing; the town is such a wreck that after cleaning up my fro-in-law's property & my own, i've been spending my time helping others.
    jerseyites are tough folk; we'll recover & be as good as new. it might take a while, but we'll get there.
    for those of you asking how the waves are & when you can get back on the islands: hopefully it's not to gawk & rubberneck at the devastation; we really don't need those types here.

17. 1vin

1vin Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    My prayers go out to all who were devastated by this storm. .lend a hand if you can or donate to the red cross.This is not the time to surf.

18. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    monday morning high tide:
    view from my front step
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

backyard/garage door:
    [​IMG]

19. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    mid-afternoon low tide:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

monday evening:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i couldn't take anymore pictures monday night as the flash on my phone sucks. the water came up a LOT higher, as you'll see. we never got any serious water in the house, a 1/2" or so in the laundry room, which is 6-8" lower than the rest of the house. the garage, however, had about 3ft in it. it could've been a lot worse...been w/out cable, but never lost power.

20. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009