**Official wetsuit review thread**

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by mOtion732, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Jandl

Jandl Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2012
    If anyones got some reviews on theses suits i would love to hear them. I'm looking for a new 4/3mm for a decent price. Here are some of the suits I'm looking at (all chest zips);

- O'Neill Superfreak F.U.Z.E 4/3mm
    - Xcel X-Flex X-zip 4/3mm
    - Billabong Foil 4/3mm
    - Quiksilver Syncro 4/3mm

2. cmurr73

cmurr73 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Dudes
    I love my RC 5/5/4 Ebomb! I use 7 mil boots and 5 mil l claws, both flash bomb . I was gonna get the RC 3/2 Ebomb or Flash....does anyone have the flash? Do you feel it really dries faster? My boots and gloves are comfortable but I am not convinced they dry any faster.

Thx

C

3. paddywaddy

paddywaddy Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I have a rip curl e bomb 5x3mm and it fell to bits.:( i purchased from this company surf shop they replaced it and it been good as gold, had it now for around 3 seasons. Really flexible and super light, great wetsuit and service from the place i bought it from!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  4. dpokeefe3

dpokeefe3 New Member

May 21, 2012
    Im thinking of buying a Hurley Icon 403 4/3 suit. Does anybody have any comments on hurley wetsuits or that one in perticular?

5. ajonesey26

ajonesey26 New Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Hey guys quick question. Started surfing in the winter and bought an O'Neill Epic 4/3. Works good. It is getting warm though and I don't go enough to justify buying a springsuit just yet.

Is it better to go shirtless or wear the 4/3 in the warmer months? Living in NJ btw

6. PatSayJack

PatSayJack Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Hey dudes & dudettes, I'm about to pull the trigger on the newest Xcel 3/2 dry lock and wanted to get a review on how deep into fall/winter it could go. I'm trying to be a two suit guy (3/2 & 5/4 only) and ditch the 4/3 entirely, and I'm thinking that the 3/2 dry lock is just as warm as any other 4/3 on the market--but I could be wrong, so that's why I'm asking you all. Any help is appreciated!

7. donalddemon

donalddemon Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    I have a hyperflex shortsleeve comp and it sucks. It was the cheaper model and it feels like it. Really stiff and the arms are too short/tight while the legs are super long (I'm 6'2") for an XL. Maybe their higher end stuff is good but I hate this thing.

My O'neil Psycho II 3/2 is the bomb though!

8. SJerzSrfr

SJerzSrfr Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Looking at a XCEL 3/2 X-Zip Comp. Anyone have one or have any feedback. I currently have a 3/2 ripcurl dawn patrol that is really not that warm so im looking to upgrade. Also any feedback on sizing compared to say ripcurls. Im 6' around 185-190. according to their sizing chart, a Large should work for me, but just wanna get some thoughts before i purchase cuz some suits im a Large tall. its on whiskey which is why im asking (for sizing)

9. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    i just got the drylock 3/2 chest zip off whiskey. it came yesterday. it was my first xcel so i just went with the size chart. @ 5'7" 160lb the chart had me with the MS. it feels just alittle too snug and im not sure if i should return it and get a larger size or did i finally get the right sized suit and it will loosen up a bit.

i wish i would have bought the MS and a M to compare them and then returned one. maybe you can do that.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  10. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    i think they let you return. you should try a M or LS

11. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I got a 4/3 xcel x-flex x-zip 2 off whiskey a couple weeks back and the medium fits me great, I'm 5'10" 140lb.

12. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    that makes me think i might have the right size and just need to surf in it.

13. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Just wanted to see if any of you could point me in the right direction, I currently have a pair of Ripcurl 5mm F-Bomb gloves, but they seem so big and bulky that i hate wearing them. I've been looking around for a 5mm glove that would be less restrictive, and less bulky. If anyone has any feedback, i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  14. viajerodevida

viajerodevida Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Have you considered switching to a 5 or 7 mm single-fingered mitten? You just rotate the covering to an uncovered finger when needed.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  15. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    http://www.oregonsurfshop.com. I've used this site for all of my wetsuits except for my very first one. These guys are very friendly, helpful, and will answer your questions. Plus they do not apply sales tax and there is free shipping. Always have great deals as well. Gonna be getting a 3/2 Xcel Infiniti comp for Xmas. Xcell is the best bang for the buck in my opinion

16. Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen New Member

Nov 29, 2012
    The results of my summer spent reviewing wetsuits in Iceland just posted. If you wanna see 'em, you can check 'em out at www.outsideonline.com. I'd be curious to hear your feedback and happy to answer any questions.

17. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    can you link the actual article please

18. Stranded in Smithfield

Stranded in Smithfield Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    +1 on http://www.oregonsurfshop.com when I can't find something I need suit wise or fin wise...oddly enough I tend to find it here...good selection...have used them quite a bit on the past...in fact just ordered some...5mm xcel drylock boots from them...everyone else only had the 3mm in my size
    +1 on Xcel

19. joecal4

joecal4 New Member

Dec 25, 2012
    I've been wearing a 4/3 Body Glove Fusion back zip that is in its 5th season and its served me well but it has been starting to leak, has a lot of ware-and-tare and is just getting old so I have been looking through some websites for new suits. I am going to stick out the rest of winter with the Fusion but I am looking to upgrade. I've been looking a lot at O'neil wetsuits and wanted some peoples opinions on them. I have narrowed it down to the O'neil Mutant 4/3 chest zip with the detachable hood or the O'neil Psycho 1 back zip. Has anyone had either of these suits that they could give me their opinions on? Also I was wondering what people's takes on back zip vs chest zip were? I know the chest zip allows for a lot more flexibility and not as much water getting in the suit but I have also heard that they are a pain in the a$$ to get on and off. Thanks for the help.

20. littlerhody

littlerhody Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    My Oneill front zip 6 mil is great actually first front zip I've owned so e my old 6 mil was 5 years old and the suite has an inside seam you step into. I never get cold in the winter. Don't know brand offhand but booties are equally important got Oneill booties too changed from excel 7 mil and the Oneill booties are way better other booties I had issues with them ripping as I pulled them on ( the tab in the back). Stay warm we got good cycle of waves coming!