Discussing Roy's surfboard designs.

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by Roy Stuart, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Roy Stuart

Roy Stuart Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Looks are a matter of personal taste, and in many but not all respects so is performance.

Have you seen the thruster in question being ridden, or are you merely assuming?

2. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013

Yes, at least in his longboard surfing.

3. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I'm still hoping for some design talk...

4. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    You'll be waiting a while, it's clear he's only here to shake things up. Solid troll job by him I gotta say. Anybody who can say a negative word about Joel Tudor and his longboarding style is obviously trying to get people's reaction. What's next? Kelly Slater's style on his HPSB is a "handicap"? HAHAHA

5. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    Firstly I didn't say anything about Slater's shortboarding, your comment is an unjustified extrapolation of what I said, used to make a counter argument, but it is an argument against a position which I don't hold. My position on Slater's surfing is that it is mostly style free, although the requirements of competition do of course predetermine the kind of surfing done.

Secondly I did not introduce Tudor's surfing I was asked for my opinion, and since his longboard surfing is a prime example of the celebration of inefficiency which is the current longboard paradigm, the answer is clearly 'yes' his style is a handicap. This is an honest opinion.

Thirdly I discuss surfboard design and my designs at every available opportunity, and if I'm asked any sensible question about design will answer to the best of my ability. Often the questions need to be re framed in order to make sense of them. For example the question "why do you think that your designs are the best ever?" is a non starter since I have never thought or said that.

The evidence shows that I have written many hundreds of thousands of words on surfboard design over the past two decades, so don't give me the BS line that I don't answer surfboard design questions or share my theories, insights, and cogitations on the subject.

6. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    What was described as gimmicky was when he lit his guitar on fire, eventually that's all the paying show-goers wanted to see and he refused to do it again...can you blame him?

RID, beautiful board!

And Roy, I can understand your decision to not conform to newer methods of board building and trying to be unique...maybe that's why the price is so astronomical. Negative reinforcement may be what your seeking.
    Your boards just don't appeal to the mass market today, and maybe that comforts you.

7. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I'd say they appeal to NO markets today... Maybe Art collectors (the boards are beautiful), but not surfers.
    But he does have a great gimmick... If you want a board that is slow, heavy and won't turn you can buy for only half a mil. Great deal!
    Tell some super rich guy that it's the best thing ever and every once in a while some schmuck will buy it... "Turns are for kooks. Buy my board and you can go sooo straight. For $975,000 I'll throw in a helmet."

8. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    Actually my method is fairly new and was never seen before I invented it in 1994.It was developed for the functional use of flex prior to the flex craze, as well as a low COG for a given volume. it was heretical then and still is.

'Trying to be unique' for its own sake is something I have never done, I am driven solely by surfing efficiency. The unique aspects of my boards are purely a result of pursuit of surfing goals. Obviously mainstream designs are what i compete with in the water so one could say that I strive for a unique advantage, but only in the practical surfing sense not in terms of fashion.

For the record, the parallel profile flexible torsion box construction came to me in a vision, a proverbial 'flash of inspiration'. I hesitated to pursue it in spite of the probable advantages due to the strange appearance and my realisation that it would take a very long time for it to be accepted, but proceeded nonetheless, have never regretted doing so and have had immense joy from the pursuit even though it has been a very hard road at times over the past 20 years.

As long as my designs are not mainstream, I have huge advantages in the water. Having said that, I am indifferent regarding their acceptability.... accepted or not accepted... both situations have advantages and disadvantages.

General acceptance is inevitable, it is only a matter of time, I'm ready for it and in the meantime enjoy the advantages which the current situation allows.

Your suggestion that I am driven by some spurious and childish emotional complexes is thus unfounded,but unique and heretical status is a necessary part of the cycle and is treated calmly and unemotionally as such.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  9. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    You speak from ignorance, so are forgiven for getting it wrong. The boards appeal to a small percentage of surfers, many of whom have built boards to my design from plans and kits. My finished boards were also easy to sell at regular 'mates rates' prices ( a practice which I stopped years ago).

If you like I'll post a review or two.. I have many.

You are wrong regarding speed and turning, the boards turn very well indeed and do so without fuss.

Regarding speed, one of my Makaha models has been clocked regularly at over 30mph in head high low period beachbreak waves, with a top recorded speed of 37 mph... the top 44 ran a speed test at better waves in Snapper Rocks recently and didn't come close. They regularly outpace the opposition. That is not to say that they are always faster in all situations, but excellent speed and 'long legs' are a feature.

Weight depends upon what I design for, a 9 footer can be in the 16 to 20 pound range which is lightweight for everything except trick surfing. Greater weights in proportion to length are used at times for the advantages which they offer and which are only understood by a few... more weight is an acquired taste and the advantages which it gives are really only available without penalty in properly balanced boards, this excludes the malibu type in longer lengths.

10. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    I have seen many videos of your board in action, and it always looks like crap. I know that any RC, Allison, or Island Inspired EC long board looks way better in the water. From that, I can make an honest assumption that RID's board will probably outperform your board in stability and maneuverability.

11. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    'Looking like crap' is a style assessment which has no meaning in terms of surfing efficiency.

Thus you are making a valueless performance judgement based on a spurious fashion based factor.

12. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Please do post a review from a guy who paid over $100K for a board... The $ is the entire issue with your board, or are you to ignorant to understand that... For $500, great deal. I'd love to have a board that pretty to hang on the wall. I have boards that work to take in the water...

If they perform well, please post a video of them doing so. Maybe it's just the lack of skil in the video's that make them look so bad.

I'm sure you clocked them at 37mph or your radar gun... And why compare to the top 44? They do all those silly pointless turns. And hide in those stupid barrels.

13. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Roy, how many boards have you sold? 1? more than 1? zero? what would happen to your board at chopes?

14. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    Incorrect this thread is about the designs.

I already have, you don't understand what you are seeing due to fashion assumptions.

15. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    Over 200, which board are you asking about?

16. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    the babble about that $300K plus boards...

how badly would your board fail on a big day at chopes?

17. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    "parallel profile flexible torsion box construction"

please explain... the words, taken literally, mean to me, "a hollow (box) construction with parallel template (rail outline) that allows a twisting flex pattern." Is that what you mean? If this is one of the key design features, please explain the physical/hydrodynamic principles at work and the advantages they give.

regarding weight to length... how does your theory compare to the principles governing how short, heavy tow boards used in very large waves at very high speed work so well? And... what is the performance envelope of your various length and/or weight designs?

If my questions need to be reframed, please reframe them, or tell me what frame I need to fit my questions into. These are sincere, genuine questions regarding design that might help everyone understand what you've been defending for 20 pages. Let's get down to the crux of the matter!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  18. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Wow. That ego.

19. Willis55

Willis55 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011

Wow way to give away your real purpose. Ok we get it, you make some big wooden boards, but I know that thing can't be more fun than my $500 board. Your a scam artist, you will try to convince some rich person that they want this, if they knew anything about surfing they would laugh in your face. You're just trying to separate a fool from his money. I don't give a fu&$ what you think your product is worth its still a surfboard. Unless some famous artists painted this thing it simply can't be worth that..i mean come on does it fly through the air? Have me doing airs? Kate Upton better pop out of that thing ready to blow me when I'm done surfing for me to pay anywhere near that. What a clown, quit trolling on here. No millionaires will be on the swellinfo forums looking for surfboards

20. Willis55

Willis55 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Can I get one with a flux compasiter? You know so I can travel back before people surfed so I could have pipeline to myself?