Cold Hands

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by NewYorkSurfing, Feb 9, 2013.

1. NewYorkSurfing

NewYorkSurfing Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2012
    I dont know about you guys, but my hands are always what get coldest in the water. I have 7mm 3 finger gloves but they don't keep my hands very warm, i ordered some new ones but the order got cancelled. I plan on going surfing tomorrow morning and i was wondering if you guys know of any ways to keep my hands warm. Would i be able to fit my 3mm gloves underneath? Maybe i could put vaseline on my hands?

2. staystoked

staystoked Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    get some hand warmers, stick in plastic bag then put it in your gloves. let me know if it works.

3. dudeman

dudeman Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    its winter, what do you expect

4. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    You could try lobster claws or mittens. What brand are you using where 7mil doesn't work? Do they leak?

My feel get cold long before the hands. 5mil gloves, 7mil boots.

5. RIsurfer

RIsurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    I've got a pair of 6mil. ripcurl gloves. My hands have never gotten cold yet. I bet the 3mils. would fit under the 7mils. At least thats what I would do.

6. tibu35

tibu35 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Never really tried it before, but you could probably try rubber gloves under them. Something almost like surgical gloves.

7. LI Waterman

LI Waterman Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2012
    I always had the problem of cold hands before I switched to the claw/ mitten gloves, which seem to keep your hands warm much longer in colder water. I use the 5 mil XCEL drylock. Looking forward to tomorrow morning as well. Just wondering about access at my spot.

8. JakeZnaty

JakeZnaty Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    what spot looks best for tomorrow and how big do you think it will be? im going to check Long Beach and if its not that big ill head over to fire island where im hoping it will be better there.

9. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    get mittens. they are the warmest by far.

10. krl0919

krl0919 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    My girlfriend has cold hands a lot too......

11. LI Waterman

Dec 23, 2012
    I counting on it being at least waist to stomach high, hopefully bigger. Im not sure how accessible the beaches will be. Not to mention Suffolk roads are horrific.

12. JakeZnaty

Dec 28, 2012
    what beaches are accessible? am i able to surf at long beach tomorrow? yeh im hoping for waist to stomach but surfline shows 1-2ft and magicseaweed shows 1ft,its weird

13. Eastend

Eastend Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Hey I am from Eastern LI also and i have been all over the east end today looking for waves and can tell you if your spot is accessible or not if you are looking around here...

14. LI Waterman

Dec 23, 2012
    Did you score anywhere today? I usually surf fire island, roads were so bad I didnt get out. Maybe the county response will include not closing our parks or bridges, but instead to plow access to them.. High hopes, but Ill get there some how.

15. LI Waterman

Dec 23, 2012
    eastend are you in fire island , south hampton, east hampton areas?

16. Eastend

Eastend Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    East hampton area

17. JakeZnaty

Dec 28, 2012
    how big does it look like for tomorrow for long beach? does you think it will be atleast waist to shoulder? or should i go to fire island instead? which will have better conditions for sunday?

18. vanman

vanman Member

Dec 22, 2012
    might as well wear boxing gloves if ur gunna layer em up
    try and piss in em before u put them on
    surf sucks, stay inside

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  19. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Plane ticket: the easiest solution to cold hands

20. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    I always got my gloves boots and socks at dive shops. I loves mittens. claws always left my index finger lonely and cold. The socks make a big difference in ease of putting on the wet suit. Before the socks I'd use plastic newspaper bags under my boots. When I first winter surfed, I had multiple cotton socks, plastic bags, then duct taped it.