Practicing Turns On Land

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by NewYorkSurfing, Feb 13, 2013.

1. GhOstFaCe

GhOstFaCe Member

Jul 24, 2012
    longboard 180 powerslides, both front and backside. It's not exact, but if done properly it's similar to a top turn.

2. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    go snowboarding. After a good snow I have noticed that large drifts accumulate on the sides of the runs. I will go all the way down cupp run (over a mile long) making backside snaps and big "bottom turns" on ~ chest high embankments. Then I'll ride the lift up and do it down the other side, front side. After about twice I get bored and start riding in the woods though, hey, that will prepare you for dodging crowds! The never ending wave, baby.

3. WeekendWarriorMdVaNc

WeekendWarriorMdVaNc Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2007
    I second that! Snurfin' is where it's at, especially Cupp Run. I ride a burton fish regardless of powder being around and it is insane. It just wants to turn, and without having a tail, it releases on banks like nothing else.

The carver boards are also amazing, however I tweaked my knee ripping a low frontside cutback to slide on my 'Da Monsta'. Nothing too serious I hope. But with that in mind, if you haven't been working out your legs, ie squats, leg extensions, in the gym, or warmed up, watch yourself on those Carvers! I love it though!

4. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    is the only difference between a carver and other long boards the width of the truck?

5. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    What is Cupp Run?

6. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    A ski run at Showshoe, WV. Kind of like the best point break in Texas compared to other breaks in the world. World class, no. One of the best spots around here, probably.

7. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    No, they have a couple different truck options that have different radius points. The C7 "surf skate" pivots in two different directions. Check out their website, they explain it.

8. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Fair enough. I've been boarding all over the globe, and with a few feet of fresh on it, cupp run IS world class. Only problem is the rarity of that occasion.

9. WeekendWarriorMdVaNc

WeekendWarriorMdVaNc Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2007
    I second Leethestud again. I scored second tracks down Lower Shay's Revenge (adjacent to Cupp) with 2' of fresh a few years ago. My best run ever. The car sized ice moguls from the prior day turned into a pillow-field straight down! So epic.

Next Thursday might be one of those rare days. Follow that crazy weatherman "wxrisk.com" on facebook for updates.

10. MrMacdugal

MrMacdugal Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Snowboarding is a great way to practice explosive turns. Do it going fast, in powder, on a bank, on ice. You can get good practice with that. The way you can explosively snap the tail of your board while stopping or turning is very similar to surfing. Especially if you try to simulate surfing with it. Give it a try, you will be surprised. As someone who gets to either snowboard or surf on a regular basis, I can say they can simulate each other very closely.... If you try.

11. vanman

vanman Member

Dec 22, 2012
    surfing crappy waves seems to help my surfing
    and half pipes with regular skateboards
    longboard skateboards will help with longboard surfing, not very explosive though

12. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    If you dont use a skateboard try finding a hill where you can run up and down it like its a wave. practice using your arms to motivate turns while running up and down and lengthwise to the hill. Its a different way to use the landscape but it really works..not to mention great cardio while your out of the water. the land along on and off ramps are a good example. Also sand dunes.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013