South Carolina surf spots

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by suzyq, Mar 4, 2013.

1. suzyq

suzyq Active Member

Jan 7, 2013
    going to school down in charleston this fall, was wondering if anyone could fill me in on some good spots to surf. I usually surf up near the lavallette area whenever i can. Going to bring a 10' and my fish. dont know what to expect ,though i have visited the area a few times.

2. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    We have many beaches in Charleston. Unfortunately, we are in the south, which doesn't get as much consistent swell as parts of the north east. I surf IOP, just because I can get there in less than 10 minutes. IOP has a few key spots, but when it is good you will find waves all over the island. I usually hit 25th or 7th on IOP. Folly has the best waves, but is also difficult to get to and tends to be crowded in warmer months. My spots on Folly were 6th st E, 6th st W, and the pier in the winter. Obviously, everyone talks about the Washout (head east on Folly until you see no more houses on the right), but it is crowded and can be less inviting for non locals. If you have a friend with a boat, Morris Island and Capers Island can get some decent swell. I have friends that claim Morris is better than the washout. If you want a longer drive, there is a public park on Kiawah Island, but I have only surfed there once.
    While you are here, expect mostly knee-waist high waves. Our chest-head high days are few and far between. This winter has been horrible, in my opinion. Only had a few solid days where the wind wasn't messing things up.
    Let me know if you need any other information about the area. I love this place, and hope you enjoy your stay.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

3. suzyq

suzyq Active Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Thank you heaps! i have only heard great things about it and im super excited! :)

4. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    The Battery turns into a gnarly point break during hurricanes, just make sure to time your turns around the cannons. Or you can head to Patriot's Point and attempt the slab in between the aircraft carrier and the subs. Say what's up to my peeps with the COC sailing team for me while you're there.

I've surfed IOP and Sullivans a few times--pretty much like all barrier islands, just look around until you find a good bank.

When the swell's more out of the South, make the drive to Pawley's if you have time. They have a series of groins on the South end that break nice and the inlets can go off if the banks are right. I've had the most fun surfing in SC there.

5. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    No problem. This is definitely a beautiful city. Just stay away from parts of the upper peninsula and North Charleston.
    Sullivans has the handicap of being pretty much behind the jetty in the swell direction. For that reason, I never even bother checking it out. That said, after any good surf session, I always hit Hometeam or Poe's on Sullivans for food and drink.

6. ecoastprock

ecoastprock Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2008
    As others have said, it's mainly just beach break peaks up and down the 3 islands. The sandbars come and go but the real problem is not the sand, but the consistency of swells. It's rare, maybe 1-3 times a month, that you get a swell over chest high with good wind speed/direction and a mid to rising tide. If you are going to CofC you will have more fun getting drunk and hitting on college girls DT than floating around waitin for a waist high set that doesn't close out with 100 other people. Charleston is an awesome city and has a lot of southern culture. It's been ranked the best city in America by a few magazines recently. Enjoy everything the place has to offer, don't expect great waves and you might be surprised once in a while. With that being said there are some real surf "spots" but you need a boat or a jetski, a crew of people and accept the fact that once you get there it may have just been better at the washout.

You may luck out the first few months because Fall is our season for warm water and good waves. Starting around late July to the end of November is our season. Each year is different but some years we get waves everyday from August to October. We are fortunate to be facing SSE so any tropical swell out there will send us a little something. Occasionally the perfect storm will set up near Bermuda and pump solid waves for days but that only happens about every 5 years.

7. suzyq

suzyq Active Member

Jan 7, 2013
    being frm Jerz,we had a pretty good febuary, but ill take any waves i can get as always, just lucky to be going to school in such an awesome place, near a beach.hopefully i can meet a couple kids around campus that like to surf too so i dont have to explore these spots all alone. Im always down for some good food so ill defiently check out sullivans! Thanks Erock &eastcoastprock
    info helped out alot.
    one last question. heard about the ferry from deleware bay to NC. is it worth it to take it down or should i just drive the whole way?

8. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Do you mean the Cape May/Lewes ferry?

I don't know much about that one but I do like driving the Eastern Shore route when going up North if I'm not in too big a hurry. It takes a little longer but it's much nicer than being of freaking I-95 the whole time.

9. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Good that your bringing a log. The pier on Folly is actually a pretty great longboard wave when it is small and long period. You can ride a knee high peeler there for quite a long ways when its lining up. It lines up longer than most waves on the East Coast. Its almost always gutless at the pier though except on the biggest swells. Also, Folly has been extremely eroded so you can't surf at the Washout and around there during high tides anymore. Winter sucks here but April and May can be fun with some south swells and the afternoon trades always seem to keep at least a little longbaord wave rolling in at this time of year. The only way I survive as a surfer here is to take a month or two long trip every summer. Otherwise I would go insane. For an example of what we are missing, check the forecast for east coast fla and then check the sc forecasts....wah wah wah wahhhhh. But charleston is an epic town to live in

10. suzyq

suzyq Active Member

Jan 7, 2013
    awesome thank you, and yeah luckily this winter in Nj has been pretty solid better than recent ones.

11. suzyq

suzyq Active Member

Jan 7, 2013
    yes i meant the cape may/lewes ferry whoops sorry,but yes iv heard the eastern shore route is better, ill probably take the scenic route to explore a little.
    Thanks heaps everyone!

12. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    I have taken that route to get from Atlantic city to Rehoboth to Richmond, VA. It is definitely more scenic.