workouts for surfing?

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by hcsurf15, Mar 12, 2013.

1. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I hope you're not bragging about benching 135 lbs... unless you weigh 100 lbs...

2. MrMacdugal

MrMacdugal Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    if i can, an ideal week would look like this... bike 5 days, stairs 2 days, beach drills 2 days, weightlifting 1 or 2 days.

So When do you go surf?

3. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Thanks for the info. Always looking for ways to stay in shape. Just ordered a used copy on Amazon. Was a competitive runner for 40 years on and off... Have coached track and Cross country for 18 years. Hope to compete again but I'm having JOINT ISSUES. It's not necessarily a form thing; it's wear and tear and genetics. I come from a family of runners and I am the least accomplished and I was pretty good. I'm pushing 50 and my siblings are older and they are starting to get some parts replaced. But I have a 60 year old brother in law who just completed his 100 marathon with all his joints intact.

4. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    i agree i need to exercise more,SURF MORE,eat better,eat less.i have a job and a marriage/home and that takes up time pro surfers can exercise and surf every day for their job.i'd be more fit and paddle/surf better if it was my job.

5. FERRARI

FERRARI Member

Mar 12, 2013
    I'll second CrossFit, but man boxes are getting crazy with their fees. Local box wanted $185 a month for 3 visits a week with a 6 month contract. I've stepped back from CrossFit and going back to doing my own thing.

6. Feesh

Feesh Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2008
    I play hockey in the late fall through winter, keeps my legs strong and also hit the gym 3 days a week doing 20-30 minutes of circuit routines that include all upper body muscle groups switching exercises, then run 1-1.5 miles. If I want to switch it up I do some of these workouts at home....

http://www.swellinfo.com/video/ezia-surf-training-with-ian-walsh

7. StuckontheGulf

StuckontheGulf Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Trudge man trudge. Get in about chest deep water and just try and run forward using your arms too. Do it as fast and as hard as you can and you will be surprised how it will wear you out. Also people will stop and look at you wondering what the hell you're doing. It's really fun too but stingray season takes some of the fun out of it. Trudge on dude.

8. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    The only runners I know of with joint issues have improperly attended to injuries or have tried to increase distance without adjustment time. I will say it again, running itself doesn't cause joint issues. Surfing is low impact, but extends and works joints more than normal. That is what causes soreness. It isn't permanent, so not a big deal.

9. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    yesterday i swam about 2000m. this morning i went to the gym & rode the stationary bike for 30min. at an average of 150 watts, then went surfing for 2 hours.
    fitness is where you find it & i second the "fit to surf" book recommendation. i got many of my resistance exercises out of it, & based some i do off of others in the book. i like that it offers a lot of options that aren't equipment intensive, so you can easily do them at home, in your basement, at work, etc...yoga's great, but not really my thing.

10. Dudicles

Dudicles Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2012
    The website that originally got me into crossfit actually was this one, mentioned in a thread a long time ago. I've lifted weights since I was in 7th grade and was basically a chest/back/arms/legs day kind of guy. Who am I kidding, I never did legs.

Anyway, I got to the point where in college I benched 305 once (I weighed about 160) and thought I was at my peak. So my life went on and then came work, family, kids, etc. I had some equipment at home but couldn't get into it for any length of time and my excuse was always that I had plateaued and could not make any more significant gains. I tried one year to gain weight like crazy and got up to 196, but wasn't really stronger and I looked puffy, not ripped.

So then came surfing. Now I found something I loved doing and semi-exercise related. So I started working out again just to get better at surfing. Someone said "crossfit" and I had some of the basic equipment so I just started fooling around with their WOD's (workout of the day) and man, I can tell you I wasted so much time lifting weights in college. This is the real deal. After every workout I have to lie down on my back to catch my breath.

I've never been to a box, I've spent about $1500 over 2 years to build up my garage gym. For about a year I was getting by with stuff I bought for under $200. 2 years * $185/month = $4440 for a membership so I've only spent a third of that. I can tell you: my core is stronger, I can paddle longer, my pop-up is faster and more consistent. Now some of that is surfing for 2 years, but hey, you have to do something when the waves aren't there.

The last thing I'll say is that no matter what you choose, the deal is you have to enjoy doing it and be able to stick with it. The problem with a lot of exercise programs is that you have fun initially but then it becomes more like work. The thing that is going to keep you at it is noticing gains. I've heard good things about P90x but I can't stand exercising in front of a TV in my living room, I'm a gym/garage gym guy. Anyway that's my opinion and take from it what you will.

11. NJshredmachine

NJshredmachine Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2013
    I can bench much more than 135. Not gonna get into this again last time there were some haters out who were a little fearsome. Just saying that all my jersey boys laugh at people that can't bench the bar with a big plate on each side.

12. KillaKiel

KillaKiel Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    The beach lifestyle...sex, surf, skate, run. Lifting up a 135 lb partner? Could be good motivation and fun. If you disagree, MEET ME AT MY BREAK! I will be the guy in the wetsuit

13. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Call me when you can bench over 300.

14. KillaKiel

Feb 21, 2012
    Honestly, good advice from all but id say surf all waves and paddle the longboard when it's flat. The water will get you ripped. I skated and snowboarded, played baseball, soccer, ran and did good enough to get a piece of metal my life before living at a beach. Great I suppose but surfing even on the east coast has done more than all of those. It's a better lifestyle and much more enjoyable. I reckon you do that all your life and eat well and you will be in the best shape. Buying a rvca shirt and calling everyone a kook might work too.

15. KillaKiel

Feb 21, 2012
    Best advice line of all from swellinfo and I quote...1) buy a gun 2) put on a billabong shirt 3) shoot yourself in the face

16. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Agree, way too expensive...I dropped out after about 3 months, the price is ridiculous and who wants to compete at exercising, I'd rather do my own thing and save the mula.

17. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Benching is old news, brah... besides the fact that it blows your shoulders out, try doing some close grip, wide grip and reverse grip pullups and cut the benching down to once a week.

18. Dudicles

Dudicles Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2012
    The exercise that opened my eyes was overhead squat. Hold a barbell over your head, arms extended, now squat down until your butt is below the bend in your knees. My shoulders were so tight I couldn't even do one with zero weight.

You want an upper body exercise, do a ring muscle up.

Koki Barrels likes this.
  19. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I noticed quite a few runners who surf, or surfers who run. I ran track and x-country in HS and one season of track in college. This was back in the early 70s in So Calif. I was a half miler. It's been all road running since. I'm 57 and still at it. In HS, we used to run down to the beach, put in a couple hours of body surfing and girl watching then head back home. About a 10 mile round trip. Steal a few oranges from trees and eat them along the way. Maybe sneak into the rich folks' country club swimming pool. Good times.

20. Scbe

Scbe Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2011
    After jogging: I will cross step forward and back on a 7' creosote pole on a concrete slab to improve ballence.
    After swimming laps: I'll swim some lengths under water to improve wind.