Small Wave shortboards

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by mgshevs, Mar 13, 2013.

1. mgshevs

mgshevs Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Hey does anyone have a used or maybe new but cheap small wave shortboard for sale? Im 5'6 and looking for a smaller board that works great in small waves.

2. es-dot

es-dot Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2013
    got a 5'6 sweet potato but im pretty sure its gonna have to much volume unless u weight 180

3. Andrew205

Andrew205 Member

Mar 14, 2013
    I have a barely used, 5'6 Fred rubble with stock dims that might work for you. In about the same height as you and it works great for me

4. SHREDSLED

SHREDSLED Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Where / how much?

5. ThatSlyB

ThatSlyB Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Wish people would leave the shortboards at home for the small waves personally. Never understood why 2 people need to paddle out on shortboards and get in the way of the 30 guys on longboards sitting 20 feet outside of them. Not a personal hit just decided this was as good a place as any to put this out there lol.

Though I guess this might not even apply depending on what you mean by small waves

6. SHREDSLED

SHREDSLED Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Look at it the other way around... why do dudes on longboards need to sit 20 feet outside and take all the good waves from the shortboarders? Both can be fun on small waves, ride what you like.

Disclaimer: I ride both, not trying to start any kind of longboarder vs. shortboarder battle.

7. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    i think there's a difference between "small" & "weak" waves...i hate riding my log in small but punchy waves...it's just too awkward to maneuver & fit into tight spaces. a short, stubby board works great in those conditions. when it's small & weak, then yea...log it up. no reason to hop & flail around like an epileptic pinniped on meth.

8. ThatSlyB

ThatSlyB Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    I'm refering to the days when the waves are small and not pitchy, where the longboard is obviously the best board choice for the day. And for that reason is the reason the longboarders should be sitting outside in packs

9. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    well, then you can get into the mini-simmons/biscuit/fishcuit/plank/bottom feeder discussion...i, for one, have found that there are very few longboard-only days since i got on my bing puck last year. it's opened up a whole new world of small, soft, yet rippable waves.

both have their place & it comes largely down to personal preference & what the surfer feels is the best board for the conditions. this is why i love having a large & varied quiver; it allows for personal choice while still matching the conditions w/ the proper equipment.

10. Driftingalong

Driftingalong Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2008
    If there are already 30 longboarders out, then the two guys on shortboards should find a different peak.
    Same thing applies the other way around...

11. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Shouldn't matter what the equipment is, it should only matter that it's already crowded, regardless of what they are riding. If it's crowded move on down the beach.

12. mgshevs

mgshevs Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    How does that Fred Rubble work on small mushy days? Im looking for a board for mushy summer waves in Jersey

13. mgshevs

mgshevs Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Does anybody still have a Tommy Moore slop rod for sale? and would any of you recommend it? I heard it rips in New Jersey slop waves

14. Brode

Brode Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Got a 5'6 fishcuit the will catch a ripple...may sell it for the right price.

15. meatloaf

meatloaf Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    get a mini simmons

16. RIsurfer

RIsurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    5'5'' Disc is my magic small wave board. Amazing!

17. mgshevs

mgshevs Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    are you selling the 5'5" disc?

18. es-dot

es-dot Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2013
    pm me for price

19. Driftingalong

Driftingalong Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2008
    For what it's worth...There was/is a guy on here that whenever small wave boards were discussed, he would always bring up the slop rod and how great it is. So much so, that you almost wonder if he was Tommy Moore :p

20. TX Shreddin

TX Shreddin Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    HA HA HA....sounds like a girl I once dated. She was kinda fun though!