got my first board, have a few questions

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by cole, Mar 14, 2013.

1. cole

cole Member

Mar 14, 2013
    hey guys, i am going on a trip to florida in april and was going to rent a board, but i got the chance to buy a used board for only a little bit more than renting one for a few days would be. It is a channel islands rob machado signature series 6' 4'' by 18 7/8'' by 2 3/8''.(It also came with fins, traction pad, leash, and board bag) I was just wondering what size rider and what types of waves this board is for. I just couldn't find this board online (probably an older model) so any info on it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. cole

cole Member

Mar 14, 2013
    heres some pics if that helps. 009.jpg 007.jpg 006.jpg 014.jpg 012.jpg
    Theres a couple small dents on the top and bottom but the only damage that goes into the board is the ding on nose, how would i fix that?

3. es-dot

es-dot Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2013
    what is your height weight and surfing ability .

4. cole

cole Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Im 5'9'' 140lbs and ive never surfed before haha, but i skimboard, snowboard, skateboard so ive got pretty good balance.

5. gojordy

gojordy Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Balance isn't the issue... more about timing the waves, catching them, and standing them... I am sure you would do fine staying on a board balance-wise.

That board may be a little short. I had a few buddies who were really good skaters and snowboarders, but bobbed around in the ocean like a cork on a 6'4" board not being able to catch anything. The guy I am thinking of specifically was a lot bigger than you though at like 6'3" and 200.

This may be a better board for long term, but your rides over the trip may be limited unless you get a short longboard or some kind of funboard.

6. gojordy

gojordy Member

Sep 20, 2012
    especially in florida... I am from NY, but i go to florida frequently (West Palm area) and I have a 6' 1" that I rarely use because its flat (Moreso, in late spring like April than in the winter). I usually end up just riding my log on ankle high waves if I am lucky

7. cole

cole Member

Mar 14, 2013
    thanks, im staying in cocoa beach for about a week and possibly go down to sebastian inlet for a day or two. What size waves would this be good for? and when the water gets warmer i will be surfing RI frequently, how would it perform there?

8. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    That is probably preferred in waist and higher waves. Normal FL waves are under waist high. I suggest finding a fun shape. It has some of the float you find in a log, but can turn fairly well. It also helps you get used to shorter boards. I can catch anything from ankle to waist high with my 7'4" fun shape.

9. fins369

fins369 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    when you go to sebastian inlet, make sure you paddle out to the main peak and introduce yourself to everyone. it's common courtesy when visiting a break.

10. suzyq

suzyq Active Member

Jan 7, 2013
    First off i agree with all these guys ^ borrow or rent a funshape, prob like a 7foot something, super floaty easier to catch waves, once you get the hang of it, might take a little while. Some excel faster than others, i got thrown on to a short board first and it was a little discouraging at first but i was a little 12 year old and didnt give a **** when people saw me eating it.
    HOWEVER, i would say if you dig it the first few days on the funshape, dont be scared to try out the board you got.though it will likely be a little tuff at first . Lastly try to go out when its kinda empty the first few times so you can get your **** together and nobody gets pissy that youre in their way.
    Have fun good luck

11. Salty

Salty Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Not a good choice for a board to learn on!

12. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I live in the North Palm Area....find myself using my 6'10 funshape more than any other boards...lots of mush here in FL bud.

Unless there's a good hurricane swell, the shorties don't get a ton of use.

13. ThatSlyB

ThatSlyB Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    A misconception is that surfing is like skateboarding and snowboarding, or that the basics of it can be learned fairly well in a day, as they can be with those sports. This is a wrong assumption. But good luck.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  14. cole

cole Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Thanks everyone, ill think about renting a funboard while down there.

15. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Don't forget to sit as close to other people as you can, touching is preferred. The locals are really friendly, touchy-feely people.

16. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Holding hands helps prevent drift in the lineup.

17. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Super friendly crowd at the Inlet, staying as close to the jetty as you can will show them respect and they'll welcome you into the lineup with open arms.

18. pinkstink

pinkstink Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    I learned on a 6'0 from the 70s (thing was probably 3" thick). What everyone's saying is right. It's a gonna be a b*tch to learn to surf on that thing, although it's a really nice board. If you're really committed to surfing then it's gonna be a good board to have in the future, but you might want to consider grabbing a fun shape for the time being. Since you've already dropped the cash you might as well try it out in FL but know that it's not gonna be easy or that much fun for the first couple of months, regardless of your skill with other board sports. Balance is only important once you've learned to catch waves, and unless you're exceptionally fit, catching waves is going to be tough at first. Despite all the wise guys, there's some really good info in the forum. Search through the older threads and you'll find plenty of info on surfing basics. Just starting out though, you might be better served just doing a bunch of push ups and pull ups before your trip

19. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    In all seriousness, try to rent or demo a Firewire Sweet Potato if you don't want to lug around something 7' long but have similar stability and wave-catching ability.

Don't actually surf IN the inlet, unless you are down with noodling Black-Tips and Bull Sharks.

20. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Cole, there are just as many sharks surfing the web as sharks in the surf.... Erock... you of all people!!!!:p