VB July Extravaganza

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Big Wet Monster, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Big Wet Monster

Big Wet Monster Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Looking for best advice on surfing in VB area in July (weekend). I am expecting weak summer windswell as I think is normal for July. Is there a place where swell concentrates so I can get the best of my 2 day trip? I am staying around the fisherman's island area. (maybe one of those islands around fishermans where I can paddle to and get some fun surf?) I do not have a longboard so punchier the better. thanks to all for the help.

2. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    ha. well be lucky if we have 5 surfable days in july but hey i could be wrong (hopefully i am!) as for the eastern shore, i havent explored up there. i really need to. if not you can come to 1st street at the oceanfront with me and the 50-100 guys at it and surf.

3. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Last year sucked for waves here. The bottom on the north end is gone and every touron east of the Mississippi are packed in the south end like sardines. best bet, as I mentioned before, is False Cape, South of Sandbridge. bring a bike with board rack for that.

4. no6rider89

no6rider89 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2008
    I can get some of my buddies to do some wicked jack-knifes and canon-balls for you?

KiDdING- what 757 said, gotta get real lucky for July. dont step on the beach on fisherman's island because its all protected.

5. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    fisherman's island is accessible only by boat. the place gets giant. a hard NE wind is off shore with a south swell is best. I did repairs for a supermarket that had a bunch of stores on the E S of Vs. I've seen a guy (who looked like a dot) on a clean left hander(looked 2") ride from the point to under th bridge. boat was waiting under it to jockey him back. the current is horrendous and the sharks are plentiful.

6. GrantLee

GrantLee Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Now that we're on the topic of VB in summer, how flat does it really get on average? I'm about to spend my first summer down here and am dying to know how bad its going to suck? I've heard plenty but sometimes I wonder if it's exaggerated? How about May and June? How are the OBX in the summer months, a lot better or only slightly?

7. trashnmore

trashnmore Member

Dec 12, 2012
    when the fat ladies get out of the water the water level drops, then it's flatter than a peta chick

8. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Flatter than a PETA chick!!! HaHA. That's funny!!! It's the EC. Most likely gonna be flat, but you have always have a shot for some fun surf

9. Stranded in Smithfield

Stranded in Smithfield Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Already expecting too much

10. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Croatan early in the morning. There will be something to stand up on

11. GrantLee

GrantLee Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Hah, that's a good way to put it. Guess I'm gonna have to get a log for those shin high slapper days when I'm just fiending to ride something

12. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    No, come on man, july will be FLAT. Maybe a little southern pulse down at the lighthouse, but I'm still talking thigh high, tops.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  13. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    I hate summer in VB. No waves and the roadblocks from Jersey are in mass. I own my own bidniz and I don't go thru tunnels just because of tourons. They freak out going into a hole in the water and fuggup traffic the rest of the day. I head into VB early because those same azz wipes go 50 in the left lane.

14. PumpingDrainerz

PumpingDrainerz Member

Oct 30, 2012
    He's right about down south, actually last summer was great down in buxton/ frisco area. At least once a week in the summer would be chest high and sometimes better. I didnt surf vb at all last summer, hope I didnt miss much.

15. no6rider89

no6rider89 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2008
    ReSPeCT.DaT ToO tROoF.

16. Kuono

Kuono Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Ditto,

maybe just maybe do a dawn patrol and you may get nice long board waves,

best bet is just keep driving south

17. Big Wet Monster

Big Wet Monster Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Thanks. Things I have learned from this.
    1- I will need some luck on this trip
    2- I need to buy a longboard
    3- See you at 1st st
    4- In vb, apparently they callem tourons, in Nj they callm shoobies, and they drive trucks with salt life stickers and PA tags in OCMD.

18. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    In NJ they call them locals.