Explosion at Boston Marathon!

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by nynj, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    so far its just the NY post who is saying that there are 12 fatalities.

2. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Sad day and true cowards that did this.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013

3. Eastend

Eastend Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    The only place we are safe is in the ocean...

4. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    ^ Exactly what I was thinking.

5. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Pipe down fella, wasn't blaming them, everyone is upset about this, so just chill and stop saying I blamed them. I think it's reasonable to say that they should step up their efforts. What should I say, they should do less? Maybe change nothing at all? You gotta do something man.

6. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    An 8 year old boy is dead along with two others. They are gone forever. Only their loved one's memories keep them alive. Think about that. Let it sink in. 144 injured. They will NEVER be able to forget what happened to them. You can feel hatred for the people who did this. Sad for those fallen, fear for our kid's futures. All normal. The real world is a f%cked-up place.
    We surf. Live our lives. Smile and nod at the stranger in the line-up. It will help. It helped me after 9/11.

7. NJxSurfer

NJxSurfer Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Chicharronne you're a scumbag for saying that. Why are you going after the Tea Party? What are you a Liberal?

Don't Tread on me

8. superbust

superbust Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Vermin Supreme 2016!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1s_U35nE6Q

9. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Sounded like you said armed forces don't care enough (some of them) and could have done something to prevent this... If that was not your intent , I apologize...

10. NJxSurfer

NJxSurfer Member

Jan 30, 2013
  11. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Not my intent at all. I believe that most do care a great deal, but caring and preventing things are two different things. I believe that there is room for improvement, that's all i'm getting at. There are always going to be the possibility of these things happening. But let me ask this question... If The President of the United States (doesn't matter who) was running in that race or was going to be anywhere in the vecinity do you think that this would have happened or do you think they would have scoped the area out a bit more and prevented it? I don't know the answer, but I find it hard to believe they would have let this happen in an area The President is at. My point is, they have the capability to do more. It's just a matter of resources and if they want to invest that much of our Country's resources on every single event like this. Is it worth it? Depends how much you value safety...

12. Dawn_Patrol

Dawn_Patrol Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Wouldnt it be a pretty major intrusion in peoples lives (not to mention pretty expensive and disruptive) if every major event that resulted is a large crowd being in one spot was treated to the same level of security as if the president were actually at the event and in the crowd? In other words, while you COULD do that, I'm not sure we actually want that level of security at every large public event, parade, sporting event, and I dont think it's necessarily a relevent standard to set

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  13. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
  14. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012

liberty > safety

just ask ben franklin

15. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I agree, going to that measure every event is a bit extreme but the point is you know it's possible with enough effort. To know that it's possible to prevent it is enough for me to think it's at least worth doing a bit more. Me personally, I don't go to huge gatherings like this EVER, it's too easy of a target. But those who do deserve to feel safe. Is the President's life anymore valuable than those who lost their life yesterday? Some might say so, but I believe that we were all created equal.

16. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    like all terrorist attacks this sucks and my heart goes out to the victims and their families. however, it is important to view these events with logic and skepticism in order to truly get to the bottom of it and find the truth. We can't turn to emotions like after 9/11 and get a buncha reactionary civil liberty limiting legislation like the patriot act and foreign wars. Keep in mind, that terrorist attacks are often used by governments to gain more power, and sometimes they are even behind them in the first place (like ours was proven to be behind the gulf of tonkin that started vietnam as proven by the justice department)

this is exponentially true when the current administrations ex chief of staff announces the administrations viewpoint on terrorist attacks:

“You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it’s an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.” – Rahm Emanuel, former White House Chief Of Staff to Barack Obama

keep your eyes open guys, see what reactionary policy passes based on this. Obviously respect and concern for the victims needs to be paramount, but don't let emotions take the place of logic and investigation, or well have another post 9/11 era of wars on nothing

17. bungalowparkbob

bungalowparkbob Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    And exactly what would you propose DawnPatrolSUP? If this is the work of one sick individual, there is little else that could be done to prevent these types of attacks. If it was an international terrorist plot or there were many people involved, then I am wrong and someone failed to do their job.

Goes political real quick, even in a surf forum. People love to spin things along party lines. Disgusting.

18. wontonwonton

wontonwonton Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2007
  19. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012

actually according to many eye witnesses there was heightened security at this marathon, in comparison to any other marathon event they have attended. bomb dogs, guys with assault weapons etc.

plus they arrested a saudi national within 1 hour of the events.

nice try tho

20. Dawn_Patrol

Dawn_Patrol Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2007
    No not saying more valuable, but when major political figures attend an event, the event itself becomes much more of a target for terrorism, so the level of security would have to be increased just to maintain a level of safety for everyone involved. Not because the politicians life is more valuable, because the level of risk is actually increased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.