Say Goodbye to Surfing in NJ

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by stinkbug, Apr 16, 2013.

1. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Everything gets sand, from Sea Bright to Barnegat.
    Just when alot of breaks had finally come back....
    Get involved to save your breaks and jetties however you can.

Shore towns in Monmouth and Ocean counties will get new beaches starting as early as this summer, thanks to hundreds of millions of dollars being drawn from the Sandy aid package.

Rep. Frank Pallone Jr., D-N.J., said the federal government could spend as much as $200 million on a beach-replenishment project that will stretch from Sandy Hook to the Barnegat Inlet.

Pallone said he believes the federal government will fund 100 percent of the project, but that has yet to be made final.

“It’s the largest beach-replenishment project ever,” Pallone said. “Such a massive amount of money is going to make a difference. That’s about 15 times what we would normally get in a year.”

The project will fill beaches with sand, bringing them to a height and width that will provide a buffer against future storms. Chris Gardner, spokesman for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ New York Division, which covers Monmouth County, said the beaches will rise to the original level authorized by Congress more than a decade ago, generally about 100 feet wide and 10 feet above sea level.

The schedule of what towns will be affected first will come out in the coming months, at the beginning of the contract process, he said. The project is currently being designed and engineered.

“We’re looking to put sand on the beach sometime this summer,” he said.

Pallone said he expects the project to go out to bid in May.

The project should take at least a year, Gardner said. Only sections of beaches will be closed at a time, he said

Gardner could not confirm the amount that will be spent on the project nor whether the federal government will pick up the entire tab. He said he is not even sure that towns that did not participate in the original project to build up the beaches in Monmouth County between 1994 and 2001 will be able to take part in this new project. Word is expected soon.

A spokesman for the Philadelphia Division of the Army Corps of Engineers, which covers Ocean County, did not immediately return a call.

Pallone mentioned two other projects in Monmouth County.

A flood-prevention project to protect the low-lying areas of the Port Monmouth section of Middletown also is being drawn from Sandy funds. The plans will include the construction of nearly 7,070 feet of levees, 3,585 feet of floodwalls and 2,640 feet of dune and beach replenishment. The project has been on the books for years.

Pallone said he expects it will cost $90 million.

Another $50 million is expected to be spent on repairs to levees, a pump station, a floodwall and closure gates that were constructed four decades ago in Keansburg.

Manasquan officials welcomed the beach replenishment project.

It will restore the beachfront in Manasquan to the level at which the Army Corps engineered it in 1996, borough officials said.

“Basically, our beach will be bigger, wider and cleaner than before,” said Borough Councilman Joseph Bossone, beach committee chairman.

2. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    oh boy looks like more influx of new jersians to other breaks...if they can beat the gauntlet of traffic out of their state

3. staystoked

staystoked Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Wow we can spend half the money on artificial reefs. But exactly How does beach replenishment destroy waves? Does it still destroy waves if the break is not dependent on sand bars. How long is the recovery?

4. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Yes it destroys surf spots. Shallow slopey breaks become 8 foot high sand berms. They pump about 100 feet of sand right out into the breaks. So where you were surfing previously is now dry sand. Then the waves crash right on the shorebreak. They also remove or cut jetties as well sometimes.
    Recovery is about 2-3 years before a spot will work again, sometimes longer, depending on storms.

5. Gilman Photography

Gilman Photography Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    this will be very problematic, they still havent figured out how to fill the sand in in a safe way for beachgoers, a few years ago when the replenished the beaches in harvey cedars there was a rise in impact injuries from swimmers being slammed into the sand by waves. the beach along the waters edge was so steep that it created powerful shorebreak unsafe for most swimmers and now they want to do this all over again....

6. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    I was just looking at the 7th street OC surf cam. Did they just "fix" the beaches there? if so, its a great example of there goes the break!!!

7. SJerzSrfr

SJerzSrfr Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Everyone on here constantly b!tching about beach nourishment. A couple days after they finished filling north street in OC, we got a swell and it was some of the best ive ever seen north street break. i think everyone just likes to hop on the i hate beachfills bandwagon.

8. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    SJF - good to hear since they dont seem to be rolling in gently on the cam. Maybe i'll see you out there this next swell after i finish shoveling the new gravel around my driveway to replace what sandy gifted to my neighbors.

9. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Beach fills have destroyed waves in Delmarva...
    Its not just if they fill beaches, but how they go about it.
    For example, the type of sand they has an impact.
    One of our beaches got filled in with coarse grained sand, and completely destroyed the sand bars, where previously fine grained sand was used and it wasn't a big deal.

I've also heard of beach fills, building up better sand bars in areas down current from the fill.

Beach towns are going to keep doing the endless cycle of replenishment, because it is their best economic option. The other option is to concede defeat to the ocean and retreat away from the shoreline, but I dont see that happening any time soon. Unfortunately, outside of our surf breaks, the tax payers are the victims for the home owners and businesses who setup camp right on the shore.

10. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Wait till Mitchell Chimes in. He knows why it kills beaches, has something to do with grain size.

11. Spongegnar

Spongegnar Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Just go to Delaware if you want to see the effects of beach replenishment

12. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Dude... if there was a reason not to hate these kinds of projects, believe me... I wouldn't be hating. But because I've experienced nothing BUT negative impacts from beach replenishment on surfing in my area, I'll by the first to say "let me lead the haters' bandwagon."

Your comment shows EXACTLY why a one-size-fits-all concept of beach replenishment does not work. Replenishment efforts have to be SITE SPECIFIC... what works in one area, fails in another. It's the total lack of engineering that causes the problems. It's like a giant organized crime operation... a big "make work" job. It's borderline criminal in my mind to intentionally spend mountains of taxpayer money on something that you know is sub-standard, temporary, outdated, and futile.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  13. bags of jay

bags of jay Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2008
    the question becomes "what can we do about this? how can we fight it?"

please, enlighten me. **** this.

14. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    they are taking bids for dredging in rockaway beach. we need it. beaches have been washing away for 30 years. However, the sandbars are so far out right now Im not so sure the dredging will kill them.

15. travy

travy Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    if there are still jetties in place i'd think the sandbars will reform and guessing removing jetties would be very difficult and expensive but i haven't lived up here long enough to see it first hand.

16. brek

brek Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2008
    It's true... I spent the first week of april up there and was surprised how surfable it was after just being replenished. While it didn't really seem to line up very well except off the jetties, there was none of that super shallow shorebreak I would expect to see after these projects.

17. Feesh

Feesh Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Hopefully they don't remove the jetties but that is what the did at Harvey Cedars and a good break in between a couple of jetties turned into only shorebreak after the jetties were removed. If they are looking to lengthen some of these beaches the jetties will have to be removed.

18. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Any idea why they removed the jetties in Harvey Cedars? Every beachfill i've seen in a community with groins or jetties, they just widen the beach, bury the jetties in the new sand and forget about them until they start poking through after some erosion. I was up there for the Anything But 3 event a few years ago, and that was a fun wave.

19. Feesh

Feesh Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Yea the anything but 3 is how I remember it, it was a fun wave and a great event...to be honest I am not sure if they just covered it I just know its gone. The beach is a lot longer so I guess they could have covered it. I'm telling you, you wouldn't even recognize the beach.

20. surf05

surf05 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    i lifeguard in LBI and last year they stationed all of their EMT certified and most experienced veterans on the beaches that were replenished. by pumping sand out into the water they not only destroy our surf breaks, but also make swimming extremely hazardous, especially for the typical tourist beach goers in the summer.

the amount of neck and back injuries sustained because of the replenishment is unbelievable. when i tell people the number they don't believe me. last year they had to close one of the beaches because there were 3 serious neck/back injuries by the end of the morning at that one spot. i just don't understand why these lawmakers can't wrap their head around the fact that beach replenishment is a huge waste of money, and does far more harm than good. some of the areas in lbi that suffered the most damage were the ones with extended beaches, and the sand fallout on the streets was ridiculous.