Say Goodbye to Surfing in NJ

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by stinkbug, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Plover

Plover Active Member

May 12, 2012
    Im dissapointed that Mitchell didnt relay the ways of the sand to us...

2. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    No rocks were removed...just a ton of sand was used. And come June more sand will be arriving...ugh.

3. tibu35

tibu35 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    They never removed the jetties in Ceders just pumped so much sand there that they got covered up. When they first had the replenishment there, the beaches were huge, like Wildwood beach. After several years and storms, the break is starting to come back. You can actually see the jetties again, but they are mostly still covered.

4. nilsen07

nilsen07 Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Putting extra sand on the beach does nothing unless there is something like dune grass to hold it in place. Its going to destroy our breaks and waste money at the same time. Maybe they should put more money into planting dunes since they actually make a difference, extra sand is just going to slow the erosion a bit.

5. JohnnyUtah

JohnnyUtah Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Did anyone read the article on "Surf-onomics". I think its worth speaking to your local counsel about the MONEY surfing brings--gas, food, exposure, tournaments--and maybe we can save at least one break per town...
    Perhaps a petition from surfrider?

6. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Of all the things they could do with 200 million they blow it on sand pumping.
    WHERE DO YOU THINK ALL THAT SAND IN THE STREETS came from after Sandy???

7. SJerzSrfr

SJerzSrfr Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    The DEP makes you dispose of it.... and not back on the beach. you can thank them for that one.

8. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    i mean if they didn't it would be a huge environmental hazard. I don't wanna deal with chromium and arsenic from contaminated sands in my lineup

9. SearchForShacks

SearchForShacks Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    What if you could some how convince these morons to use all that sand to create a giant perfect sand point break :) Know it will never happen but it would be intersting.

10. JohnnyUtah

JohnnyUtah Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    So true--i've been saying that from the start and here we go again. Greedy little towns and $10 to get on their beaches...

11. bbuzz

bbuzz New Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Hey stink bug where did you see this article? Thx

12. goofy footer

goofy footer Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    http://www.asbpa.org/publications/white_papers/Surfing_White_Paper_FINAL.pdf

Good article from 2011, see page 7 for prior N.J. Beach fills

Just an FYI, Army Corp prior studies of sand sites will provide you with vital information of sand size; sand less than 4 MM is finer sand creates better sand bars while courser sand greater than 6 MM doesn't help stabilizing surfable beaches. Nothern NJ is in the New York Army Corp District so they should already know where they're going to mine the sand and sand size if anyone interested upon pursuing the issue.

13. brek

brek Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2008
    That reminded me of this article I remember reading... turns out they did try that! It didn't work though...

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_50182e92-be53-11e1-8532-0019bb2963f4.html

That's from almost a year ago, and I don't have any personal experience up there so don't know how well the "bump out" has held up since then.

14. stinkbug

Dec 21, 2010
    The original article I posted was from Asbury Park Press

15. stinkbug

Dec 21, 2010
    They did a small one in Long Branch once. It lasted about 2 months then a storm took it away.
    Yes it was good while it lasted

16. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
  17. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    the first large-scale beach replenishment OCNJ did ('92-'93ish), they stopped for the winter just south of 14th street & created an absolutely amazing lefthand point...even my dad was stoked on it, & he's a regularfoot! being goofy, it did amazing things for my surfing; i just wish i hadn't been so new to surfing...i didn't have the ability to really take advantage of the happy accident.

18. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    as for "the end of surfing in nj", that's bs. it's sand. yes, leaving it be or making a serious attempt to match grain size w/ grain size would be better, but it's SAND, people. it moves, gets blown around by the wind, washes in & out w/ the tide...the bars, banks, & breaks will be back. in the mean time, go explore. go look at spots you normally wouldn't; you might be pleasantly surprised. i have been, & frequently, this winter.

19. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    surfrider is the worst.they get a free pass.it's like it's a crime to say anything bad about surfrider.they take your money,you display their stickers,license plate frames,and they do nothing for new jersey or hatteras,ever,not once.they don't protect our waves.

20. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008

There are some good local chapters still though.