Does anyone sometimes think New Jersey is overrated?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by RIsurfer, Apr 22, 2013.

1. RIsurfer

RIsurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    No offense to Jersey, I've expirienced some great days down there, and I know how good it gets, but I keep seeing these features on Surfline and the most popular East Coast photos on MSW mostly of NJ. Maybe there are just more great surf photogaphers than up north?

2. sonfollowerssurf

sonfollowerssurf Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Great place to visit. Take Fla over NJ any day. Surfed more in Fla in the 5 years we have been here, than the 37 years I lived in SJ.

3. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    what do you mean "sometimes?"

4. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    yep, jersey is horrible. no idea what surfline is on about w/ that...

5. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    one word: NJSHREDMACHINE

6. tibu35

tibu35 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    we do have our 23 foot days though....

7. skimdog

skimdog Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Its common knowledge its a loser state all the way around.Loved the Sopranos however.

8. viajerodevida

viajerodevida Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2012
  9. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Sure is...let the NJ flaming continue...

10. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    i have a theory on jersey. ive surfed there for much of my life cause i gotta lotta friends on LBI. It gets good. it was better before renourishment projects. havent surfed it post sandy. anyway none of this is my theory.

anyone who ever has driven through jersey knows you get stuck in traffic on both the delaware and new york state lines. like ALOT of traffic. so much so that i would venture to say that most people who live in jersey are trapped because they know if they ever tried to leave they would be stuck in traffic for at least the better half of their grimy post industrial lives. This prompts most people who are trapped there to stay. However, when the day finally comes for a jerseyite (?) to leave the nest, by the time they get through all that traffic they have so much pent up fist pumping, and four loko chugging suppressed away in their souls that they proceed to **** all over everyone elses state, fist pumping their money into our tourist economies, and throwing trash everywhere and generally participating in a lot of yoloing and dubstepping. this is especially bad for us located in the southern states, such as north carolina.

again just a theory, but i have found it a proven tried and true one.

11. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Jersey is Wayyy overated.Our water is dirty,Guido's in the lineups,Rollercoasters in our waters,Bad pizza joints,and all the surfers are kooks.

12. Mattyb

Mattyb Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Mike Gleason, Sam Hammer, Clay Pollioni, yeah losers. Ive surfed in NJ my whole life except during 8 years in the marine corps and when I wasn't overseas I was stationed in so cal. Nj isn't as consistent as so cal no doubt. But when its good its really hollow and powerful. If you don't like NJ waves than stop surfing there. Good day sir.

13. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    if you base your opinion on surfline hype...
    but,we get waves,sometimes they're pretty good,we have good breaks,not as crowded as cal,oz,hi,it's cold 5 months,it gets flat like most everywhere,and it's home to a lot of us who are satisfied,or we'd move,as some do,and from cape may up to the hook it's like 10 different places with 10 different kinds of breaks and 10 different kinds of surfers,plus a lot of kooks flocking to surfline hype breaks,like most anywhere.this past saturday it was as good up my street all day as anywhere in the world

14. NJshredmachine

NJshredmachine Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Best waves in the states...

15. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    yea maybe if you huff some gasoline first and chug some four locos and doing fist pumps while dodging barrels with some of you jerzzzy boiiiis

16. NJshredmachine

NJshredmachine Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2013
    That's what I'm talkin bout!

17. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    ain't called the armpit of america for nothing brotha!

18. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    NJ has some good waves for the EC, but the people are what make it unbearable for me. Half my family is from south jersey, and every time I visit I have a bad time. No matter where you go, everyone seems angry and rude. It's like their world is more important than everyone around them, and they have no problem showing it. Aside from that, most of the beaches from Cape May up seem to be overcrowded from spring to fall. This is not NJ bashing, just NJ people bashing. The south may not have the best waves, but the people are very laid back and friendly. We do have our share of crazy backwoods hicks, but most of the population is rather normal. I also enjoy 69F water temps in April. I hate the cold!

19. JerseyRider

JerseyRider Member

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree you should write a letter of complaint to Surfline and MSW.

20. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    you don't have to pay to get in but you have to pay to get out!

ps--you get d-bags everywhere it's just a question about which flavor of d-bag you can take. personally I will take the guido d-bags in Jerz over the yuppie d-bags from OCMD any day.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013