Friday... Maybe some fun surf for Delmarva

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by ECSurfer, May 21, 2013.

1. ECSurfer

ECSurfer New Member

May 21, 2013
    Anyone else going out Friday ... OCMD .. looking to meet up and surf with some people if the forecasts hold. Its a 2 hour drive for me cause I work in DC, but I have Friday off and want to hit the water before this crowd starts to show its ugly head. PM if you want to meet up.

2. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008

New to the site, sportini? I ask this of you only because that green bar that you're salivating over will very likely change hue, and change often, between now & Thursday night.

Why, you may ask, does that green bar change like a 1960's lava lamp? I'll leave that for others to venture into. I'm not going there.

I will say that one site that seems relatively straight-up is windguru. If the west wind is on OC & AI, then you may have something to chirp about. Buena suerte.

3. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    That was very diplomatic, I was gonna tweak about the jinx.

4. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    That was a good one.

5. SkegLegs

SkegLegs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I think I speak for everyone when I say I'm super excited for you to come visit.

6. funkyspec

funkyspec Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    In addition to using the fabulous swellinfo PM asynchronous communication system to ensure there is someone else out in the water besides yourself on Friday, you may want to consider a complementary low tech method, like writing on your car windows with window markers before departing DC ("Going to OC to SURF in 2013! Woohoo! Follow me to FUN WAVES! Honk once if you're horny, twice if you're really horny!"). If you're having problems writing with the window marker, just start asking random graduating hs/college seniors for assistance. They should be able to help.

7. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Your initiation has begun, young ecsurfer. I tried to warn you. Sort of.

8. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008

I think i speak for everyone when i say you are more than welcome to stay in Delaware.

9. ECSurfer

ECSurfer New Member

May 21, 2013
    Well as long as i have stayed away from this site for this exact reason ... i thought i would make an account today and see if anyone on here was worth a s**t ... guess i was right the past couple of years. You guys have no lives. PS i didnt choose to work in DC and I grew up in OC so before you jump to a conclusion that i am some kook just driving down.

10. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Ah, jeez kid.

Yah, we're all not worth shiiiite here, as you say. Just a buncha doods with no lives, hanging out with our wall hangers & subscriptions to 4 surf mags, building massive piles of kindling, waiting on 23' beach break, daring one another to go trunks-only in January on the east coast. (Sigh.)

Self-validation is a heckuva thing, eh, especially when you're crankin' it in the mirror. Who cares if you chose to work in DC. Why even bring it up. You grew up in OC? What, does that make you a tribal surfer dood?

No one says you're a kook. Well, yet. Just sayin' that 3 or 4 or even 2 days out is way too early to plan anything but a clambake. And if you, as you claim, had been lurking on this site for the past coupla years (years?! yah ok sure) you would know this. Ain't that right, newb in your NWDC condo?

So lighten up, Francis. And go watch said movie.

11. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Drive down.. I think it will be worth it. It's been fun the last few days (in Monmouth)and it should be a little bigger Friday. Earlier the better as the breeze comes onshore in the afternoon.

12. SurfJetty

SurfJetty Active Member

May 11, 2013
    Yeah, Manasquan inlet was pretty good on Monday. Had some nice sets to shred on. Hopefully Fridays just as good.

13. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008

Friday morn in OCMD just went dead red as of now (Tues evening). And it may change umpteen times again by the time Friday rolls around.
    But we're all worthless idiots, as you say, sportcoat. Hey .... let us know how the kindling pile test drives for you on Friday.

14. Plover

Plover Active Member

May 12, 2012
    How about you grow a pair and say that in person. And you will find something out about yourself real quick...

15. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    yankee that's a good heads up on the Windguru site. Hadn't seen that one yet and if it's known to be accurate that is a good resource. I check them all. Only thing with Windguru is that it doesn't list some breaks I go to. Have seen some consistency with Surf-Forecast.com with a few breaks I've kept my eye on lately.

Good use of the Stripes quote. Aside from the entire script of My Cousin Vinny, that's my father's favorite movie line.

What do the rest of you guys use for accurate forecasting sites or methods? Charts, etc. With good days being fewer and fewer soon out East, knowing the times to hit it is of value and will save some frustration.

16. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Does anyone pay attention to the kilo Joules in the waves as being predictive to quality of surf? I've noted that over the last couple weeks and it's made a difference in the quality of waves I've sought out at different breaks in the area. I wonder if much higher energy in some waves is as good or better (in different ways) than clean conditions in waves that lack significant energy. There is some good power in the waves tomorrow in RI and I'm trying to determine whether to head down there. It's not the cleanest forecast there but perhaps the net net of riding them is worth the trip for waves that will be present here but in much less power in kJ.

If you want to daydream, take a look at the kJ in some breaks this week in Australia. Doesn't hurt that they have long period 15 footers with 5mph offshores. Utopia.

17. SkegLegs

SkegLegs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Don't be jealous I picked the right side of the line when it comes to property taxes.

18. 34thStreetSurfing

34thStreetSurfing Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    it's getting close to summer...

19. funkyspec

funkyspec Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I was just goofin' on ya, EC. No animosity intended. Thunderstorms in the forecast for Friday, so I will stay close to home and paddle out at 130th St in OCMD, in the AM. No need to PM me - just come on out. The lineup is pretty empty up here in North OC compared to midtown (where it does break better).

Friday is the last day before OCBP starts guarding beaches daily, so you may as well surf OC.

Peace and aloha.

20. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Wednesday in Delmarva wasnt too shabby!

[​IMG]