skimmers

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by delsurf73, Jun 2, 2013.

1. BeachCruiser01

BeachCruiser01 Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2007
    One wave. One rider. Its that simple.

If you are standing on the beach with a skim board and the logger is already on the wave, you (the skimmer) are dropping in. Survival of the fittest is one thing, but running over a longboard already on the wave is something else entirely. I don't care how pro/am you are, give respect, get respect. Especially when it isn't your local break.

2. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    There was a skim contest at south side over the weekend, so i'm guessing it was mostly out of towners. Which kind of makes it worse... Not really sure how to apply priority rules when skimmers are in the mix? I'd say, if your surfing the wave first, then its yours.

3. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    there is just something very unicycle-ish about skimboarding...

4. Losttsol

Losttsol Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Ya, it definitely has something about it. It's kind of like surfing, except I see them keeping a lit cigarette going on the beach for in between rides. Mostly though they are kind of a counter culture to the counter culture of surfing. They don't talk much and at some beaches they are more of an urban myth than a physical creature.

5. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Having a hard time picturing how this could happen as well, I've never seen skimmers getting in the mix with actual surfers, too much space between the shore pound and the waves further out on the bar, but I’ve never been to this location so I can't really fathom how this dynamic actually exists. In general if you are riding a log into the sand where the skimmers frolic about then you are probably doing it wrong anyways and will eventually end up buying a new center fin because it will get snapped off doing that.

6. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Dudes, this thread is ridiculous.

Core skimmers are b!tchen. None of you sassies could rip up Balboa on a skimboard.

Besides how do skimmers, in Delaware the land of shorepound, interfere with a dude riding a longboard? So you just imagine that scenario in your head, and decide who the kook(s) is(are).

And before you submit to board descrimination, take a long look at your skills on the board you ride. Worry aboot that, not some other dude's board. There are dudes on different vehicles than yours that are wayyyyyyy better than you in the water. Think aboot that.

7. BeachCruiser01

BeachCruiser01 Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2007
    It might be helpful to know something about (or aboot) the break before commenting.

This isn't about who is the kook or not or who's got skills and who doesn't.

8. superbust

superbust Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
  9. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I'm a surfer and have more respect for the skimmers than the long boarders. If a skim boarder can ever get to the wave I'm riding after a toss from the beach he can have it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  10. Plover

Plover Active Member

May 12, 2012
    Exactly that

Give respect, get respect in the water or out. That simple. Cuz there is a few regulars (surfers) out there that will punish you.

Sucks they were manhandling you. But it was pretty small sat which usually turns into a free for all at that place especially on a weekend. Also, with the contest in town it was inevitable that it was going to happen. I don't foresee it happening again at least when it's over waist high cuz they usually lose steam getting out to the wave.

On a side note there are some rippa skimmers around these parts and they seem to know that's more of a surf spot when it's on. Plus when it's bigger they are at other spots not interfering with the rippa surfers. Some of them come out and surf instead of skim at that spot and they (except for one that I can think of) end up kuuucing it anyway. Then you can pay it back...

11. delsurf73

delsurf73 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2012
    thanks for the advice. I should had brought this up earlier I never longboard mostly shortboard and just the other day I take out the longboard and play around on some waves. Back on point These Skimmers seem to be doing this on purpose like aiming at most surfers one going in front and one in the back. I guess these guys were all stoked on the contest they just had.

12. unsalted

unsalted Active Member

Oct 9, 2012
  13. unsalted

unsalted Active Member

Oct 9, 2012
    I heard that Zippy. I tried skimming for a couple hours once. My legs were sore for days

14. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    That video was straight rad. Well produced in addition to impressive content. Still don't know how someone on a log is going anywhere near that shoreline. I'd put that on par to trying to park Gramma's 18-foot Buick ark '87 edition in a parking spot meant for a chopper or rice-cycle. Granted, I'm trouble on waves and a moving land/sea mine, but I wouldn't have gone that close to shore back when I was beelining straight to shore after a takeoff. Which I can hardly remember because that was at least 7 days ago.

Yea, let those skimmers skim. They're holding their own and as a whole, pretty sound on a karmic scale.

15. ShawnKenny

ShawnKenny New Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Oh first you talk trash on the beach now you wanna do it online...

Yes there were about 10 of us my self included. Myself and one other our professional skimboarders and two others compete semiprofessionally.

Now I am assuming you are either the 13 y.o. with the white rash guard who was trying to fight every skimmer ranging from age 8-21 or the older guy who kept staring at us like we killed your mom(who i was told later is unemployed and does drugs)...

The waves that morning were sub-knee high range breaking right on shore as the tide came in it became bigger maybe thigh as the tide peaked.

<size reference>
    photo-2.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    photo-1.jpg

The very first time you guys tried to talk trash was after i went BEHIND you on a wave, i shrugged it off and went back on shore. The very next wave a little grom that was ELEVEN went for a wave and the kid in the white rash guard cussed at him and threw his board. I stepped in told and you both to take a chill pill and we were all there for the same reason... to have fun.

Now everyone here is talking about skills... Who do you think deserves a wave more...? someone who stands up and stands there/poop stances it for a 10 seconds or someone taking the wave all the way down the beach throwing technical maneuvers?

A fisherman was surprised after two waves in a row of me making it down to where his lines were and said he didnt think anyone was gonna get down the beach that far and quickly moved his lines.

Delsurf73 if you noticed the skimboarders would NOT cut off the guys from liquid pictured above(the dad and son? in green ripcurl suits riding firewires) that is because they rode the waves with STYLE and did more than just stand up.

[video=youtube;V5JuFLmYVd8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5JuFLmYVd8[/video]

Also to an admin i kinda find it funny that you group the outer banks with Va Beach in the region section

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  16. meatloaf

meatloaf Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    skimmin isnt a sport its a lifestyle brah

17. meatloaf

meatloaf Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    ^^ such a sik video. had to watch it

18. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Getting my popcorn ready....

19. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    I went to the naval jetty last night... and, ya, there were about as many skimmers as surfers.
    And, honestly, the skimmers were ripping that wave more then the surfers. The waves that were coming
    inside were really good to skim... The ones that were breaking outside were obviously better for surfing.
    But, ya, the skimmers were essentially able to "surf" it better yesterday as they got way more speed.
    As for priority, I saw some skimmers skimming in after someone was on the wave (mostly little kids), but for the most part it was under control.

20. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Yeah man, you guys do some sick sh*t. Fun watching skimmers rip as far as I'm concerned, I like how skate-y some of it is.