Back again for another season; Would like pointers :)

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by gruvi, Jun 14, 2013.

1. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Hey Dudes! Its been a long while and I began my surf season in earnest again this past week. It is like starting all anew again after not pumpin waves since last October.
    I was at my fave break this past week and waves were super inviting, but I discovered I lost all of the accessory muscle strength I had last year that helped me get to the line up!
    I plan to be back to the soup in a couple weeks, and before I do I want some pointers for weight bearing exercise that will make it easier for me to have that paddle strength needed to get out there again.
    Recently I went out in my 3/2 on my custom stick, a frierson "shortboard" and I feel it was mostly the effort of trying paddling a shortboard, versus my accostomed funboard, that made me go noodle armed at the break area, and I was left powerless to get beyond it.
    Now before I'm told to get back on the funboard, or told to get my virgin Bing soaked, I am asking for help with any dumb bell exercises I might be able to do until I get out again. So I can actually have strength to paddle past the breaks effortlessly on my SB.
    So far I do basic curls, extensions, rows etc with 30# bells, but are there better land locked techniques one can perform to help paddle strength while still landlocked? I don't have the luxury of a body of water close by to literally paddle around in when I'm away from the island.
    I should note to you I have an indo board I've used that has not been touched yet this season, but I don't believe it will help with my paddling needs (though I will be using it again soon), however add this item to my repoitoire when you advise me on strength gaining techniques to help my surfing.
    Alright Dudes, its great to be back and I hope to meet more friends soon to enjoy the stoke this season. Hopefully we can friend up on island this summer and be legend together :)
    Thanks for helping with tips and peace!
    G

2. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Work the f**k out of the FORUM SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!

Welcome back, kook.:p

3. MrMacdugal

MrMacdugal Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Let me start by saying that you should read some of the older posts about this topic. There's gotta be one or two, haha. Now that I have said the obvious, let the rest of the ridicule begin.

4. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Ha, well Rhode Island guys who were getting uneasy at all the attention..........you have been saved.

Now the attention will go to hassling Gruvi because of his unassuming and friendly nature.......

Plus, I reckon the whole thing aboot building one's self up by putting others down will come into effect.

Gruvi, real surfers don't train. Weight lifting is for high school football players from Kansas. Just surf as much as possible, drink beer and smoke herb, and you'll be alright.

5. surfinsteve

surfinsteve Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
  6. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Gents, I'm merely looking for fast, valid weight lifting tips from others that may be in my circumstance i.e. a kook, or whatever namecalling it is for a neophyte surfer.
    I tried searching and mostly found more of the same, sarcastic responses, and not helpful dumb bell or similar tips for conditioning. Thanks for the levity though :)

7. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Just a FYI, this isnt my first rodeo here :) I am fully aware of the vulnerability one places themselves in here when asking for aid :)

8. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I am using dumb bells and a sheet with a plate on the end, and that is the extent of my humble equipment :)

9. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Work your shoulders and back...I dont have a pull up bar and can no longer tolerate gyms, but you could throw a couple towels over a tree branch and use them for handles..maybe some lateral raises for your delts...plyo and single leg squats.

10. Dudicles

Dudicles Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Dumbell swings should work your paddling muscles. I'm no expert, but I've found that I'm sore in the same areas after I do a ton of kettlebell swings or tough paddling session.

Example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEJO-xdnxrk

You can also use single arm swings and/or increase the range of the swing over your head.

11. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    drop the 'season' stuff. there is no 'season' for surfing. you go when the waves are ridable.

12. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Thank you seldom! Lateral raises, check! I will start with these. Do you feel the curls exercise are hindering the paddle stroke? So far I am feeling that doing bent over dumb bell rows and raises as you suggest will help those accessory muscles. How do you feel on normal pushups? Should these hit the muscles often stimulated from a paddle session?

13. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Psi-Cho: I posted links to my favorite dumbbell exercises in a past thread. Look it up!

And what stage of life are you in this year? Are you married again or do you have that girlfriend you mentioned? You were never consistent with that, so I just want to know what the deal is this year in advance. Thanks.

14. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Like I wrote, I don't have the luxury of living near waves and work keeps me most of the other times I dream of being out there.

15. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Add some pull ups to your routine. It's hard to work your paddling muscles without actually paddling or using machines because you need to have resistance to pulling your hands from above your head to your waist. To do that with dumbbells you'd basically have to be hanging upside down. Bent over rows could help a little but you'll bee working more of your back than lats.

Caveat: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I don't even know what the inside of a gym looks like but I've had a few agro lifting friends/roommates in the past.

16. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    honestly, you should either find another sport or try to find work closer to the water.

17. xJohnnyUtahX

xJohnnyUtahX Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    More paddling is best. For you specifically I would recommend you paddle out the manasquan inlet about a mile then hang a left, make sure to pick all ur scabs first..no pain no gain!

18. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    LOL you are hitting on my personal life when all I asked for is exercise routines to help with paddling? PM me, tell me whom you are, and if I know you and feel comfortable, I will try to entertain your questions. As for now consider most of it all BS :)

19. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Yes, I do consider most of all you write BS.

Do you not know how to use the forum search function, or are you just lonely and looking for attention....again?

20. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    No problemo...what goose said too, paddling and pull ups. As far as push ups, absolutely. Obviously primarily a chest/shoulder exercise, but your lats act as a stabilizer on the negative so they'll be getting worked indirectly too. Also, whenever I hit my heavy bag my lats always feel great, good for shoulders and back, and getting cardio done at the same time.