Back again for another season; Would like pointers :)

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by gruvi, Jun 14, 2013.

1. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Buahahahaha

2. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I think you always stalk me here, so what is your point Dude? If you really want to be of help, why not just post a link to this exercise thread you keep spouting off about? Believe me when I tell you I searched your posts and truly dont have as much time in a day to be online like you evidently do. How does one as yourself surf when you are online so often? I call your BS!

3. bassplayer

bassplayer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Groms and old guys make it out no problem. It's more technique and timing rather than strength. Push ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups regularly wouldn't hurt. I have to watch what I eat before I surf too. Can't imagine paddling out with a stomach full of greasy pork roll, eggs, cheese and bacon, that'll slow you down. :)

4. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Groove, just do pushups, sits up, pull ups, run for cardio, and do dumbbell throw backs while kneeling with one knee and one hand on a chair or something to stabilize with, focus on only moving your arm at the elbow and extend all the way back, going slow will increase the intensity and build endurance, going fast and explosive will build on the explosiveness of your paddling, I do some of each.

5. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I had a delicious bleu cheese Wave house burger with fries in my gut the one day, and I concur! Their food is the shiz, but yeah, it can slow the body down big time. I will try to load up on a good breakfast and heavy amino acid shake a couple hours before I go out next time.
    I get the point of needing to just surf to surf, but in the meantime, in between time I feel doing something to build strength while off the water is better than just waiting til the next session right? :)

6. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Will add these Dawn, thank you! :)

7. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Anytime, and another thing too, don't forget to stretch regularly, don't worry about Yoga (that's for women and really limber "men"), just do some good old fashion stretches like a man.

8. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Do the same thing you did this fall:

[video=youtube;BN-kl-_ePEI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN-kl-_ePEI[/video]

9. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    PURE GOLD! Thank you for this, made my day, i can go home now....

10. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    These are the little things I did do last year (groin/shoulder stretches etc.) that I forgot to do this time around. I was just trying to get wet fast and found it was only counterproductive. The next time out will be less hasty.
    Off on a tangent, has anyone come up with a good way to encourage other like skilled surfers to join up for shared sessions? The old pizza offer was an obvious failure so what are other surefire ways to make comraderie and friendships in the surf? Or are there just that many lone wolves out in the soup that can't be bothered to hang?

11. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Dude! Just the fact you surreptitiously videotaped me is creepy!!!! And poor form I must add. :mad:

12. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    "A friend in need is a friend indeed, a friend with we*d is better...."

13. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    LOL, unfortunately I don't partake :)

14. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    That could pose a problem then...

15. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    No arm push ups.... Best exercise for surfing

16. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    then you're not a "real" surfer...all surfers smoke the ganj. just ask SJB...or whatever he's going by these days.

17. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
  18. jasorod

jasorod Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    If you're not near the beach, you at least must have a pool close by ... there's really no excuse for getting "out-of-shape" over the "off-season" (there is no surfing "off-season", if anything, winter is where it's at) ... if you don't want to surf during the winter, go swim. While not exactly the same motion as the surf paddle, the freestyle swim stroke will work many of the same muscles you need for paddling, and will also develop the cardiovascular capabilities to paddle for long periods of time, something that simply being powerful from weight-work will not necessarily net you.

19. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
  20. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I get the swimming, of course, however I need exercises that fit my time frame and getting to and from a pool is much more difficult than having on the spot exercise regimens in place at home and on the job :)