Definition of an "East Coast Surfboard"

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by haggi2, Jun 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. haggi2

haggi2 Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Hi, I recently moved to Boston area from Israel and been looking for a new surfboard. I heard many times that people talk about "east coast surfboards" and I just wanted to know what defines a good East Coast surfboard?

2. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008

3. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I think you're going to get a broad spectrum response here... but my take on it is that east coasts waves are more often than not... mushy and weaker than say the cali surf.
    I think a wider board with a squash tail and moderate rocker would be a safe set of features for an east coast board.

4. KookieMonster

KookieMonster Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Welcome to the area. I wouldn't use that term... go into a surfshop and ask for a groveler or a fish. These are good boards for the days when there is minimal swell, this is likely what those people were talking about.

I'd recommend going up to Cinnamon Rainbows up in NH, they do good business. Get three boards, one groveler, one board that will challenge you, and one log. Buy some thick rubber and keep some Israeli hard booze in a flask in your car during the winter. Good luck!

5. Franyfingers

Franyfingers Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2007
    I recommend you take the subway to chinatown and come watch me shape your new board!

I had a few boards go to Israel, too.

6. haggi2

haggi2 Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Thank you all very much for the advises it really helped me!

7. ocsurf32

ocsurf32 Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    East coast surfboard - a surfboard that is on the east coast! (definition provided by OCsurf32 True Surfers only dictionary)

8. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    He was asking about surfboards...

9. haggi2

haggi2 Member

Jun 16, 2013
    One more question about wetsuits: for the spring and fall, will a reg 3/2 do the job or should I get a 4/3?

10. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I feel like you will be using your 4:3 alot more even in the spring.A few weeks ago in NJ the water temp was still 58.

11. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    You're good with a 3/2 right up to January normally. Then again in May... I find that I use my 4/3 the least. I jump from 3/2 to a 5 mil in the fall/winter and then use the 4/3 in April...

And I get cold easy.

12. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Whatever else you do, if a guy in an orange jumpsuit contacts you in re: buying one of his 'specialty boards' ... run, don't walk.

13. jasorod

jasorod Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Go with the 4/3 ... a 3/2 in the fall and spring is really something that is good for the Southeast, like south of Maryland. I would recommend something like the Oneill Mutant, so you can remove the hood when the air temp is warm but the water is still chilly and you won't be doing much duck-diving. If you have a 4/3 with a separate hood, that can compromise the seal against the neck of the wetsuit, and give you quite a bit of flushing when the water is cold, reducing the effectiveness of the suit.

14. Thewaternerd

Thewaternerd Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
  15. haggi2

haggi2 Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Is a 3/2 going to be warm enough up in Maine and NH as well?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  16. haggi2

haggi2 Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Yeah that sounds about right thanks

17. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    You should get a 3/2 and a 4/3 or even a 5 if you want to go all winter. Waves are better in the colder seasons. It's worth it. If your just planning late spring/early fall a 3/2 will work. But you'll miss some good swells. I usually go till about jan with a 4/3 in jersey before getting the 5 out

18. Franyfingers

Franyfingers Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2007
    North of capecod 6/5/4 with thickest boots and gloves, water temp drops to 40 in winter time. some times the harbors freeze. summer time 3/2, shorty or shorts..

19. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    If you can only have one board on the East Coast and you are relatively new to surfing get a longboard.

20. newenglandflatness

newenglandflatness Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Yeah a 3/2 is probably not going to suffice for NH and Maine for spring and fall, unless you are a warmer person than most. North of the cape, a 3/2 should get you into November at least, maybe December. But you probably won't be able to put that 3/2 back on until May. We're well into June and water temps are still mid-50s. I wore a 4/3 a week or so ago in NH and was pretty much perfectly comfortable.