Looking for opinions on a longboard

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by Revderrick, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Revderrick

Revderrick New Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Hey folks!
    Looking for info & opinions on a longboard I'm considering buying. Seller listed it as a vintage mako. 9'8", 22" wide and almost 4" thick according to seller. I can't find anything on it searching online, so I figured I'd ask here. I've only been surfing a handful of times, but I've used an NSP about the same height but rather thinner as its foam. I'm a big fella (6'2", 240). Any thoughts on if this mako is any good or will even keep me afloat? I'd love anything you could give me. Below are links to the pics he sent me.

http://images.craigslist.org/3Md3L73H25He5Mc5J1d5obea0d8a815dc192c.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3Lc3Ic3Nd5Nf5If5E8d5oe9687affa5f61c4f.jpg

Thanks in advance!

2. dlrouen

dlrouen Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Potential vintage value aside, I would pass. I'm sure it's still ridable, but it's more suited to be a wall hanger.

*By the way, how much is this board listed for? Really high for "vintage" appeal or really low for the "I can't believe I'm selling this board so cheap, considering how much it's really worth because it's vintage" appeal? Either way, I'm sure you can find a better option.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Keep looking, not something i'd pick up, but that's me.

4. dmonster

dmonster Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    That board looks like it weighs about 50lbs. In my opinion; definitely better off waiting to find something that will need a little less maintenance and have a potentially longer life ahead of it. Great looking board though

5. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    There were a lot of popouts produced back in the 60s, and that looks like one of them. They were always too thick, and too narrow, with those funky pinched rails that don't work well. That'd be my guess, but I'm no expert. If you go to check it out, be sure to look for any twisting... a lot of those boards didn't have stringers, and twisted like crazy.

6. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I totally agree with the last two posts- its old and its a really heavy board - specially for a beginner... plus there is probably no place for a leash - and if theres a hole in the fin for a leashthe board is so heavy that youll hate it... plus- no leash and if your a beginner you will be swimming alot and putting others at risk when that 50lbs board comes flying at them...

I would keep looking for something newer- if your serious about surfing look to spend around 300... find a longboard in the 9ft range

7. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    my opinion on a longboard: don't buy one. It's like pushing mongo on a skateboard. My opinion will change with age, but as long as my nutz are above my knees I think longboards are for puss!es

8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    trevolution... hahaha! welcome back, brother!

9. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Says a wimp who probably doesn't have the strength to turn a LB.

[​IMG]

10. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
  11. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
  12. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    nah real number. i wish some dumb mother would try something in real life. Like i said, man of truth, i got a masssseburrrrg and nc is a stand ur ground state. just don't shoot the floor or thats submission and life in prison

13. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    I will still call for a good time.

[​IMG]

14. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    please do. if u rack up more than an hour then send me a paypall for my phone minutes. furthermore i reserve the right to record any and all conversations and use them for my own monetary purposes

15. Revderrick

Revderrick New Member

Jun 17, 2013
    okOk, thanks for the opinions guys. The weight was my concern too, glad I asked. It does look Damn cool though.
    He was asking $350, I offered $250 and he said sure.

trevolution: I've always liked the aesthetic of a longboard more. Plus, as a fat guy, it'd have to be a thick frickin shortboard. I could maybe use a fish, but I've never tried one, definitely don't want to buy one right out.

16. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    to each his own bud! u just asked for an :eek:pinion on a longboard: so i gave me own

17. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Well... you know what they say about opinions...

For example, Joel Tudor could kick all of our butts... on the beach, or on his longboard... or fish, or shortboard, or single fin, or...

If you think "longboards are for pu$$ies" I'd say you're a little out of touch.

Either way... these threads crack me up!

18. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012

i just surf cause its the less painful version of skateboarding. i don't like bombing hills on a longboard, so why would i surf one? its a different touch , i may be out of yours but your out of mine as well.

19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    You got that right, brother!

Anyways... I just try to appreciate everything for what it's worth... try to find the beauty even in the ugly. Makes me a richer person just for trying.

20. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    That is a good way to live.