Back again for another season; Would like pointers :)

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by gruvi, Jun 14, 2013.

1. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Because it keeps business alive and jobs for my brahs at the shop ongoing. So what I support my local surf shop by buying boards et al. surf supplies.

2. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011

Me too, the difference is I actually use the stuff I buy.

3. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Just because you have or make the time to use your sh*t don't assume I don't try to get out on mine. You are a lucky guy in my mind to find so much time to be a better surfer related to your ability to get in the ocean way more than I.

4. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Stand up paddle-board.

5. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Try burpees - its like push ups on meth - it will help your pop ups. Paddle a mile or so on flat days. A small battery powered trolling motor can be a great advantage on bigger days :)

6. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    "Lucky" or dedicated...........?

Forget buying boards and buy gas to get your ass to New Jersey, which I assume would be the closest coastal area for a citizen of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. And buy some rubbber for the cold months. Really Gruvi, the whole experience is so much more groovy during the winter. Nature touches you better in January, and the seals come out looking to bro down. The aesthetics of summer just don't compare to fall, winter, and spring.

7. bassplayer

bassplayer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2012
    If I had the cash I would most definitely own boards I never use.

8. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I work hard to have cash for hobbies and like to collect things as well. I bought my bing after a summer season. I plan to get on it this summer when all the shortboarders are working on paddling ;)

9. surfordie

surfordie Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    This board is so much better when Gruvi is around. I might hit him up when I go to Assateague!

10. NJAZguy

NJAZguy Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2011
    I live up in north jersey by NYC, about an 1.25 hours from the nearest beach (without traffic mind you). I think what Gruvi means by "lucky" is location. For me at least, surfing in the winter is restricted to weekends only because of daylight and work. So I find that I actually get out less in the winter simply because of available days to surf. To me I think anyone who doesn't have to drive over an hour to get to a surf break is lucky. LOL. If there was employment in my field down the jersey shore, I'd move in a heartbeat. Problem is, there isn't much for what I do. So I've decided to move somewhere where I can live nearer to what I love.

Just my opinion though. Gruvi could mean something entirely different. Who knows what this guy is talking about half the time. No offense Gruvi, but if I met you I'd think something was wrong with you immediately.

11. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010

did anyone get this??

GRUVIIIII - happy your back!!!

Have you thought about a Stand Up Paddleboard???

12. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    That's pretty good stuff there.:rolleyes:

13. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    gruvi, honestly there are the things that have immensely helped my surfing:
    1. SURF YEAR ROUND AND AS MUCH AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE. the best way to get better is to surf, there is no workout that can do this. (not even those laid paddle board workout things he's trying to sell)
    2. EAT RIGHT. People can go to the gym all they want but if you don't eat right, it's pretty much all for nothing. stay away from fats, high amounts of sugar, and fast food. seriously cant remember last time i ate it.
    3. SWIM. I havent been in a gym in 2 years and i am in the best shape of my life due to swimming. when i dont surf that day, i try to swim at least a half mile. swimming is the closest thing to surfing and its much better for your body than running. i can out paddle a lot of people now just because of that. i can also surf for 3+hours during the coldest parts of the winter (as long as i can feel my hands and feet, i will stay out)
    4. PUSHUPS AND CORE WORKOUTS. Surfing really is all focused around your core (maneuvers and turning) and arms (paddling, the most important part to catching waves)
    5. HAVE FUN- Unless you are a professional surfer making a living off of surfing, go out there and enjoy yourself. try going switch, dropping in looking backwards, whatever. Just find ways to smile and be happy with anything.
    That's all i got man. get to work and have fun!

14. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    +1 Great advise for the Gruvdude!

15. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Gruvi, instead of spending your money on stuff you don't use you could be saving up for a little bungalow at the beach.

Just say'n.

16. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I love you guys! I don't care some of you would think I'm effed up either :) you all equal the stoke!!!

17. surfordie

surfordie Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    I mean this in a way not intending to make a fool out of you, or harass you. I actually like when you come around, because sometimes it gets a little boring in here! I lurk this board a lot, and don't post much cause I don't really feel like I contribute too much. Surf a few on Assateague for me! Can't wait to be there soon. Too bad I'm a little hurt and can't surf!