Who has the right of way in a contest, competitors or locals?

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by Norwell9, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Norwell9

Norwell9 New Member

Mar 8, 2013
    Here is video of a collision at Ventura Point, Cali. Who has the right of way?

[video=youtube_share;_oe1E2k6lig]http://youtu.be/_oe1E2k6lig[/video]

2. Sloop John B.

Sloop John B. Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    First guy up. He had the peak and was up first and riding. Other guy dropped in on him. No question.

3. papadawg

papadawg New Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Agree with Sloop. This isn't even close to questionable. If this is a heat, and the contest area had been "cleared",(usually voluntarily), then this could change how it is viewed; however, in 99.99999% of cases, this is blatant, and asking to get schooled. More than one of these, at almost any break, will get you a talking to. Do it again after that, and the smart money bets that you get run off.

4. K-Dog

K-Dog Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    First, you won't find me at no contest. The kook dropped in. The rules are the rules. Now go shred!

5. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Yeah 1st guy's wave no doubt! Go back to the valley kook, goons trying to drop in!

6. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    What? How can you even ask that question?

7. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Oh I see first post and a retarded one at that.

8. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Funny, people defending the self-important jerkoff who can't seem to find another peak or break and let some kids have a contest for a day.

Is that how it is in California? It's too much to expect for people to respect a surf contest (nssa school teams at that) enough to stay out of the lineup? If so, it just reinforces my lack of desire to ever go there.

If I were that kid's dad I'd be waiting for that piece of chitt when he came to the beach.

9. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Just call Kainoa in to clear out the contest area.

10. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    the first guy in the vid obviously has the right of way.... and in the slow motion you can see the contact was very minimal. the guy simply raised his arm up and the kid just sort of jumped off the board.

BUT... I mean c'mon if they are trying to have a contest show a little heart, you know, let them have some waves... that being said, if they couldn't lock down the spot or a section of the spot as contest only then they should have held it elsewhere.

and as a general rule of thumb... I have the right of way in 99.9% of situations. :)

11. dmonster

dmonster Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    This is a high school surf contest. There's no reason for someone not competing to be sitting at the peak taking waves from competitors; its just disrespectful to the students and NSSA.

Obviously the first guy had priority on the wave, but i think its a very grey area as to who was in the wrong, but i think the locals should have cleared out for the contest.

12. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I remember as a kid one time I inadvertently paddled out in the middle of a contest... felt like a total jagazz

13. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    The difference is, you have to obtain a PERMIT to run a contest. Permits with municipalities are for specific dates at specific locations. It's not like you can just pick up and move a contest because some localistic piece of carp decides he has a "right" to the spot.

14. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    How could you think the dude was right? Total **** move.

15. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    When sitting waaaaaaaaaaay outside, these are the advantages, right Fitzpeedo?

16. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    load the Fitzpeeedo bay doors!!! lol.

So, the universe gave me a little payback for sitting waaaaaaay outside! I drive to a spot about 15 minutes from where I usually surf yesterday, no one out. but the wind just shifted and now its chop and slop but decent size for the day. I paddle out and catch a few waves.... when I glance a look at the beach and like 4 softtop gnarlaroo kooks start paddling out and are flopping all over the place... it ruined any chance of surfing there.... I picked up and moved to a lesser but empty jetti left.... I felt I owed it to the cosmos to move this time and let the newbs have the spot. lol.

17. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    at least drop the aquaduece before you leave!

18. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Good for you Fitz, fighting those inner deamons is tough at times, especially when you see a handful of softtops headed in your direction.

19. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Oh this was during a contest? How did I miss that? If the guy was sitting in the middle of a contest and taking waves I guess he was in the wrong. I hate contests when they shut down a beach but you should fight it someother way other than paddle out in the middle of it and snag waves. How could that be fun?

20. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    the kid's jersey is pretty clear...green, i think it was.

in normal day-to-day surfing, the bald dude definitely had right of way...but surfing in a contest area? c'mon...what is this? california in the anti-contest 70's? get over it & go surf someplace else for the day. bald dude's a douchebag, no question.