It's flat and I can't take it anymore

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by shark-hunter, Jul 11, 2013.

1. shark-hunter

shark-hunter Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Bro give me a break. If there's swell it's going to show up at those spots. You're talking short period "barely a swell" stuff here. Not refraction with larger breakers at long period specific spots.

2. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Aint that the truth...

3. bassplayer

bassplayer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2012
    I do more logging in winter because I choose calm sunny days, 1-3 ft. On the big board you float more above water and the small surf keeps your top half dry. Maybe I'm a wuss but at least I'm not a bi*ch....

4. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    You what's really funny? You guys take this as an "attack" on east coast surfing. That's why you get your panties in a bunch when someone complains about flatness on the ec during summer. lol

Kind of laughable to take this stuff that seriously.

5. RIer

RIer Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2012
    I didn't say it was perfect. It was short period, light onshore wind, mostly junk but every 5-10 minutes a decent set would roll through. It's not a wave machine and IMO it was pretty fun for July. But whatever, stay home and watch the cams and wait for the perfect day we'll get at some point in the next 10-15 weeks.

6. RIer

RIer Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2012
    My reaction was more based on the fact that I was just thinking how this summer has been well above average and I can't even remember when the last truly flat (i.e., totally unrideable) day was. So it's interesting to me that we seem to be in the same general area and you have the opposite perspective. Doesn't really matter, just interesting.

7. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    The only reasonable reply was the longboard suggestion(doesn't apply to me, but it's totally reasonable). The rest of it is just nonsense. It's flat and I'm going to vent about it. I don't need lectures about surfing in winter and peeps lying about wave conditions to make it seem better than it is.

8. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    It was great until june 19. Right around the start of meteorological summer Then it fell apart. Rideable for me on a bodyboard is different than longboarding rideable. I really need waist high on sets and it can still even be mushy or at least thigh if it's barreling.

9. grom-ajb

grom-ajb Member

Jun 13, 2013
    I'll support shark-hunter in his frustration with recent conditions. In southern ME there has been nothing ride-able in the last 10 days even on the 10'2" longboard I have. We all love to surf so it's hard when the nicest days are here with nothing to ride. Nature of the beast. It's not bi***ing, it's venting. Subtle difference.

10. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    10-15 weeks?
    Once September rolls in you get days and days of good waves with clean conditions. This flatness is brutal.

11. RIer

RIer Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2012
    OK, I can see where you are coming from on the bodyboard point. Saturday morning looks promising at this point.

12. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    If this is as bad as it gets then ima be alright! Here's to summa!

13. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    None of this is unexpected. It's the same **** every year. Good until the middle of june....Dies.... then picks up last week of August with a hurricane swell.

I'm simply frustrated because I love it when it's warm out and it's been like 100 friggin degrees out with 73 degree water and no waves! Ughh

14. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Yeah I'm not good at doing big manurvers or anything. I'm not jeff hubbard...yet! ;) lol.....I just need some PUSH and speed and the excitement of taking the drop. Knee high mush barely even pushes the board. haha
    Just out of curiousity, anyone ever try like a 45 inch big kahuna board. Does that make a big difference on marginal weak waves compared to a regular 42 inch board?

15. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    When I first started reading this thread I was thinking, " What, flat in Rhode Island? Isn't that place the most consistent state in the union?"

Then as I continued onward, there it was - "It's waist-to-chest high" Then I said to myself, "Self, there ya go, Rhode Island comes through again. It just sticks out in the Atlantic and picks it all up."

Now, I think some of you Rhode Island guys, now I said some, not all, might be a bit confused aboot things up there. Might be some novice "wave goggles" going on up there. Maybe....maybe not.

Ha, just check SWELLINFO.COM's report for Atlantic City, NJ...........2-3' suckas. Yeah how do you like them apples? Man, we are getting the shred on down here. Wooo Hooo. OMG, it is so good out there. I talked to some guy this morrow and he was all, he was like, he went, " Man, those were the best 2-3' waves I have ever had."

I was all, " Totally, bru." And then we hugged and had a good cry and went our separate ways.

I will always wonder what happens to that fella. Godspeed good sir, and I hope you find even better 2-3' waves somewhere along your journey.

16. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This Summer has not been well above average. It's been exactly what an EC Summer is.

17. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    "At this point being" the operative word. That's another thing. We constantly have these marginal swells popping up on the forecast sites and the computers have a hard figuring out if it's actually going to hit. Sort of like today. So annoying trying to make plans around forecasts that flip flop like crazy are wrong a lot of the time. Even the night before. So much better in the fall/spring when the swell's are for sure.

18. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Yeah.

Man, y'all got to start going with the flow and living in the moment. Stop getting all worked up aboot what it is going to be like five days from now, and anaylzing the summer when it's not even half over.

If y'all are young, I understand, but take it from an addled wise man, and learn to just go with the flow. It will serve you well in all of life's journeys.

Listen guys, you have seen televangelists, right? You know, confused southerners/mid-westerners send them their social security checks in hopes of getting their prayers answered.......

Well, if you send me a $100 "wave donation" I will get you guys some surf. Allejululah. Praise my name. Hit me up and I'll tell you where to send your wave donation. For $200 I will meet you and smack you in the head so that you fall over. Then you will always have waves.......Allejululah. Praise my name.

19. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I have a 44'' DK shape, a tad thicker than the average sponge. My regular boards are in the 42 range, but I'm a stocky dude so I wanted to try it out. I will say this, had it out on a smaller day, and while not ideal for prone riding, the extra float makes catching smaller waves easier and maintains speed down the line, so short answer, yes.

20. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Great. I weighed the options of heading to RI based on a fair report and sticking around in MA/NH. Chose the second and a duck couldn't surf on what is out there today. Glad you got some though.