Fukishima update: Leak

Discussion in 'Non Surf Related' started by archy 2.0, Jul 16, 2013.

1. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it appears that the Fukishima reactor is now leaking radioactive material into ground water and possibly the ocean.
    the following are some recent mainstream news articles on the subject as well as some scientific studies of the radioactive material and a 10 year time lapse of radiation contamination of the Pacific ocean.
    be advised that there is a massive cover-up of this situation by the Japanese and US governments as well as the nuclear industry. I will not get into the cover-up but will leave you to do research on that.
    regarding the news cover of the situation, it is likely that the situation is much worse and I personally would recommend avoiding all products from Japan. (rice, seaweed, fruits, etc.) also avoid eating fish such as tuna from the Pacific. Tuna will migrate the entire span of the Pacific ocean and is most likely contaminated with radiation above safe levels.
    also the safe level of radiation allowed for consumption in the US is six times higher than Japan's. So all fish from Japan with high levels of radiation is likely sent to the US market.
    again this is a very sad situation and nothing is really being done about it except to cover it up.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...-soaring-in-water-at-no-1-plant/#.UeXI0hXD_IV

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/...tium-levels-soar-on-coast-at-fukushima-plant/

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...-soaring-in-water-at-no-1-plant/#.UeXI0hXD_IV

http://www.biogeosciences-discuss.net/10/6377/2013/bgd-10-6377-2013.html

http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/7/3/034004/

2. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010

i saw a picture today of the way radioactivity levels have spread across the pacific, and it was pretty mindblowing. apparently the water coming out of fukushima is 90,000 times more radioactive than the official mark for "safe" drinking water

3. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Sad for Japan, but will not effect the US waters. All the more reason to eat local fish. There are more immediate dangers than radiation when eating imported seafood. If I walk into a place and they can't tell me where the fish is from, I won't eat it. I know the toxins in my local waters. MMMMMM Mercury!

4. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    [​IMG]

You mean that one? It is typical, and has happened before. This dispersion looks similar to the nuclear bomb testing dispersion. Luckily, by the time it hits the West Coast, the levels of Cs will be almost undetectable. Hawaii could see some increase, but still below "safe" levels. I would avoid seafood caught off the eastern coast of Japan for a while (decade).

5. newenglandflatness

newenglandflatness Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    I actually did an enormous amount of research and monitoring of the Fukushima disaster for about a 4 month period roughly a year and a half ago. Admittedly, haven't been as on top of it since (client no longer required constant updates due the decreasing severity of the situation as it pertains to their business interests in Japan).

Obviously, there is a whole lot of issues there, but the Japanese government is actually being quite diligent in the implementation of food testing and food bans in the wake of the fallout. Seafood products which can migrate across oceans are a different story, but crops such as rice and fruits are being monitored on a weekly basis from every prefecture and the food bans are implemented accordingly, you shouldn't be worried about eating agricultural products produced there.

6. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    yeah by raising the acceptable levels and lying about the amount found. the Japanese government told the people, right after it happened, that everyone should smile. If you smile the radiation won't hurt you. Fukishima makes Chernobyl look like 3 mile island.
    Of course they'll tell the people the food and water are safe. They're a "democracy", which means, they property of corporations. If they told the truth about what is really going on, TEPCO would have to supply uncontaminated food and water.

7. archy 2.0

Jul 5, 2012
    newenglandflatness, like I said there is a major cover-up regarding the situation. the situation there is that since the initial meltdown and radioactive plume from the blast, radioactive isotopes have been spewing into the air for the past 2 years, and now is seeping into the ground water. this is a major disaster, and Japan's gov is lying to its citizens and the world with the help of the US gov and financial interest like Gen Elec.
    and when you have c**nts like Anne Coulter spewing junk like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Pge9F5SpE , it all ads up to misinformation, propaganda, diversions, and lies.

8. newenglandflatness

Oct 12, 2012
    Food checks are being verified through 3rd party sources. Biggest issues are with freshwater fish from the rivers, ****take mushrooms, and cesium-impacted rice.

I'm not speaking to any of the other abovementioned issues with the disaster, that's not what I got contracted to dig into, jus tthe food - and I was not one man trying to debunk the massive cover-up you seem to think was going on with it. Client on this was a GIGANTIC multi-national corp (you would all know them, alas, I would be fired if I disclosed it, so I'm not trying to be flaky and not name the company - I just legally can't) that is highly invested in said food quality, there is data to back up the bans and documentation and tracking of food testing and (when required) subsequent bans.

But that tin foil hat does look good on you arch.

9. newenglandflatness

Oct 12, 2012
    man, i can't even type a mushroom variety in here without getting all starred up.

10. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    its ALWAYS a cover up. Don't you people know that!

11. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    Life is one big coverup.

12. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    [video=youtube;YOn4vg0JIAo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOn4vg0JIAo[/video]

13. archy 2.0

Jul 5, 2012

hehe, avoid the rice and shrooms, and eat all the Pacific tuna you want, right? yeah I haven't seen any warnings on that. on the contrary radiation is good for you, right? according to Anne Coulter it is, right?
    to not warn the general public in the US of possible threats and stay hush on it and have popular TV journalists tell you radiation is good for you is umm, well to cover it up.

BTW the term 'conspiracy theory(ist)' was propagandized and made popular by the CIA after the Kennedy assassination. seems too many people questioned the 'official' story so they were deemed 'crazy' for actually having critical thought, newenglandzombie.

14. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    You do know that most pacific Tuna is not caught anywhere near the coast of Japan.
    http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch/web/sfw_factsheet.aspx?gid=74

Most albacore is caught of the coast of the US and Canadian pacific. It isn't really cost effective to import all the tuna, as Japanese seafood is $$$$. Ask a sushi chef. There is no increased radiation in US pacific waters at this time. This is monitored by many independent groups. Even the map I showed above clearly shows minimum radioactive isotope spread to take 5-10 years. Again, that map was part of an independent study. You need to stick with the facts and stop going on the doomsday rants. Yes, this is a bad situation for Japan. Yes, we need to be careful where we source our food. But this isn't the end of the world, or even a serious issue for the continental US. It may start to be an issue for Hawaii in a few years, but they have survived radioactive contamination over years of pacific bomb testing. This is no worse.

15. newenglandflatness

Oct 12, 2012
    well arch, again, I told you I am not talking about any ocean critters, because I really don't have any information to back it up. Maybe I should spew some BS and post some youtube videos (apparently that's verifiable and credible support for "critical thought" these days), but I really have no idea on the impacts on seafood. And no offense arch, but I'm not gonna start the learning process by taking your word for it. And, you don't need to avoid rice and shrooms, because the impacted ones ARE BANNED.

I encourage critical thinking. I don't encourage fear mongering.

16. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    **** Brewer

B=====D Brewer

**** Dale

B=====D Dale

****take

Skattake

17. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    **** **** ass piss piss out my ass **** NJSM.

18. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    what's the chances of 2 posters having Turrets syndrome. FARTING GODDAM PISSHELL!

make that 3.

19. archy 2.0

Jul 5, 2012
    The Fukishima incident is far worse. even a scientist such as yourself should know that.

http://mainichi.jp/english/english/newsselect/news/20130723p2g00m0dm038000c.html

the Pacific bomb tests were one shot doses of radiation, that overtime dissipated to safe levels. Hiroshima and Nagasaki are thriving cities now with so-called safe radioactive levels.

on the other hand look at Chernobyl. that city is not safe to live in.

but unlike Chernobyl, Fukishima is too hot for even robots to enter the reactor core to clean up the mess. and unlike a nuclear bomb/test, this is a continuous flow of radiation pouring into the air, ground, and now the ocean for over 2 years. the map you show gives one shot radiation contamination. and scientists are saying it may take more than 40 years to clean-up and decommission the plant.

http://news.yahoo.com/iaea-japan-nuke-cleanup-may-141217639.html;_ylt=AwrNUbIFWnVR.WkADRnQtDMD

Listen brewdude, what i'm giving here are not end of times prophesy rants, or fear mongering.
    i'm just giving truth bruddah. no this is not the end of the world but at the same time this is not only Japan's problem. or maybe Hawaii's in 5-10 years.

and your downplay of this not being a serious issue for the US mainland I think is a bit of denial or just plain foolishness. first off the Pacific ocean currents flow from Asia mainly to the west coast of the US, then to Hawaii. and with an unrestricted, continuous flow of radiation pouring into the atmosphere projected to go one for lets say conservatively 10 years, well I think it is a serious issue for the US.

hey man no fear mongering here, just truth. if the truth scares you too much to handle, you can stick your head back in the sand.

20. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    I heard that it's all part of japan trying to invade the USA and then THE WORLD.Man I am gonna look so cool surfin with my new radioactive friends...