Flyer choice and size advice

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by ThatSlyB, Jul 16, 2013.

1. ThatSlyB

ThatSlyB Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    After posting a thread a while back about reccomendations for boards and doing research, the flyer seems like the board for me. I want to be able to ride the waist high stuff in the summer and the nice stuff in the winter on the same board. Now I just need to figure out size.
    And there seems to be two flyer types, which do I want?
    I'm 5'10 180-185 depending on the week, and surf the winter in a 5/4/3.

I want enough volume to be paddled somewhat easily even with the added suit. Is a 6'5 the way to go?
    Also, which model of flyer should I get? The original or the flyer 2?

2. ThatSlyB

Aug 20, 2012
    I'm aware of that link but it doesn't answer all of my questions. Thanks though. I want to know which size I would want to be able to ride winter, and also which flyer I would want.

3. AtanticO

AtanticO Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2013
    why ride Al Generic? for the super cool logo? east coast shapers not cool enough?

4. fins369

fins369 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    i'm your exact height and weight, and I have two boards that float me fine in the summer, even in the small stuff. one is 28.6 liters (and is a merrick), and the other is 31 liters. I've never ridden the 28.6 liter board in the winter with my full hooded suit, but i ride the 31 liter board all the time and it floats me fine.

with all this said, and maybe i'm wrong, but neoprene floats. i am under the impression that no matter the thickness of the suit, and the weight it adds to you when you're standing on dry land, when you are lying on your board, in the water, paddling, it should help your buoyancy. when you stand up you'll be heavier, but if the waves are worth anything, and you are a decent surfer, you should be fine.

what's other people's thoughts on this?

5. AtanticO

Jun 25, 2013
    true. wetsuits have tons of air in them now-a-days. makes you a little heavier, but you still float the same.

6. ThatSlyB

Aug 20, 2012
    Not all of us have a thousand dollars to pay a shaper

7. numbone

numbone Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2012
    theres alot of factors that come into play,what size was your last high performance,all-around board,how do you surf,for example bobby martinez might be almost your size but he rides like a 5'6" new flyer

8. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Most local shapers are much less expensive than merrick, plus I guarantee their boards are more durable

9. krl0919

krl0919 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011

if you look into it i think you will be surprised how much cheaper custom boards are then Merrics. When i was young and dumb i too drank the ...Lost Koolaid. then i discovered the wonderful world of full custom boards for $200 less. the only problem is now im hooked on the effing Hayden boards and they are $$$. talk to a shaper before you blow some wad on a merric. I dont know where your from but i just had a killer winter board made last fall by the guys at Greenlight. give it a shot my man and good luck.

10. AtanticO

Jun 25, 2013
    lol! you want a burton islands to save money? you must live in opposite land.

please tell me what shaper wants $1000. they must be making boards with angel tears and pixie dust!

11. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    yeah. every local shaper i know is way cheaper than Burton Islands (i'm stealing that name). As far as winter, I stopped having a 'winter board' a few years ago and ride my go-to Ashton (a variation of the flyer btw) all year long with no noticeable difference.