Cost Rica

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by Jfonseca, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Jfonseca

Jfonseca Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Im planning on going to Tamarindo in February, Best Western Vista Villas is where I was looking to stay. Has anyone here had any experiences at this hotel? Also if you have gone to Costa in February, what was the weather like?

2. Agabinet

Agabinet Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    I preferred staying up in Playa Grande, north of Tamarindo. Don't know the Tamarindo hotel scene. Weather in Feb. is high 80s and low 90s.

3. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    haven't stayed at the villas, but I have stayed in tamarindo. Weather is perfect in feb.

The town itself isn't as much of a surf destination as it's hyped up to be. There's the rivermouth which can be a perfect wave, but usually small and very crowded. There's also a good peak in the middle of town that only turns on at high tide and gets even more crowded than the rivermouth. Most people walk a couple of miles up the beach to Playa Grande...it only works at high tide, so it gets crowded, too.

Tamarindo is a sketchy town. A lot of dirty looking drug runners and ex-patriot fugitives slinking around. There are a lot of tourist robberies, so never leave money in your room and make sure your girlfriend keeps her purse in sight at all times...or it will get snatched.

4. blankp

blankp Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Tamarindo def sketchy I agree with Agabinet Playa grande better break and more laid back Rip Jack inn is awesome

5. waterbaby

Oct 1, 2012
    I've also stayed at the surf camp before it became the rip jack. Good times.

I will warn you I found a couple of cap-less syringes in the sand where people camp next to the beach. Watch where you're walking on the trail to the break and, sad to say, wearing flip-flops to the beach is probably a good idea.

6. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    ive been to tamarindo ran into no problems, lots of people will ask you if you want coke and ****. go futher south or to grande atleast.

7. hautemille

hautemille Member

Oct 19, 2012
    For some atmosphere, I'd rec La Laguna del Cocodrilo in Tamarindo...may a little pricey, but there's a real croc in a real lagoon! My Feb trip two years ago, the waves were overhead/double overhead everyday. Plan your trip and you can avoid the sketch.

8. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    the place with the french dudes that are brothers?

9. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Tamarindo is a cool town, a little shady after dark, yes, but still a good time. I challenge you to find the real costa rica. It's much cooler than seedy tourist towns. Don't just go to Jaco and Tamarindo.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  10. louistomassone

louistomassone New Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I rented a house right on the beach in Playa Negra. It was $2100 and slept 12 people. This is the way to go if you have numbers. Breaks werent as good as the north but it also wasnt as crowded.

11. chad05gt

chad05gt Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    Ive been to Tamarindo 4 times in last 2 years.
    No troubles, just dont make yourself an easy mark. New Orleans or Houston much higher chance of getting robbed!

Friday night at your hotel will get loud, just roll with it and have a good time.

Walk to Grande or get a ride to Avallenas... head south for heavier waves Negra, Marbella.

Get lunch from the lady selling home cooked meals out of the back of her car... good stuff!

12. JoeDev

JoeDev Active Member

Jan 25, 2012
    My wife and I stayed there a few years back along with another couple. In regards to the hotel, everything was pretty cool. People were nice and met a few cool folks who were staying there as well. We rented a 4X4 to explore and also took a trip to Ollie's and Witches Rock. We did go a different time of year then you are going but had a great time!

13. K-Dog

K-Dog Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    You could try Cabinas Las Olas in Play Avellanes. It's a 30 min drive south from Tamarindo. Cool people and good food. Plus there's security. The surf is usually better futher south @ Playa Negra.
    www.cabinaslasolas.co.cr or Tel: 506-658-8315. It's a 300 yd walk across an estuary on a boardwalk to beach.

14. Bill Cosby's nephew

Bill Cosby's nephew Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I'd advise, in general, to not do this.

15. mushdoc

mushdoc Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Hi Lee...I will be staying between Jaco and Hermosa. I WILL have a 4 wheel drive. Suggestions?

16. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Well, it depends on what you are looking for. The night life is pretty much limited to San Jose and the big three "surf towns", being Tamarindo, Jaco, and Dominical. You don't really need to know any spanish in these towns, you can spend dollars and not colones, and everything is priced accordingly. It's where you will see more white tourists than locals.

You don't even have to branch out very far, from Tamarindo, drive 1/2 hour north or south will get you there. From Jaco, everything between Jaco and Dominical (and south even) is lined with beaches and coves, most with no "access". That coast line is begging you to explore. There are 3 Hermosa's, try to find them all! and also there are at least 2 Maltapolo's too, it gets interesting. Once you get south of Dominical, you have another 3 hours or so of coast between you and the worlds longest left hander, Playa Pavones.

You have the opportunity to really take a heck of an adventure if you are going from Tamarindo to Jaco. Swing all the way south and stop in at Montezuma, Santa Teresa, and Mal Pies, THEN the ferry over to Jaco. The drive from Tamarindo to Montezuma takes you through plenty of "the real costa rica". I almost died on that unpaved road through the mountains doing a flat spin in a rental diahatsu near the cloud line...

I know that I'm "there" i.e. "the real costa rica" when I pop into a cliff side restaurant or food truck, pay, do the conversion in my head and go "DAMN that was cheap"

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  17. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    If Im going to Costa the two places I MOST avoid are Jaco and Tamarindo. These towns are both fine but super touristy. why nother when there are so many other great quaint places?

18. mushdoc

mushdoc Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Thanks Lee...that was what I sorta had in mind.Looking forward to just wandering around and exploring.

19. TDTubes

TDTubes Well-Known Member

May 30, 2007
    DSC_9651.jpg Nice views, gets super loud Friday nights for the their "world famous" party, with two kids under 6 we didn't attend just suffered in our room until 2 am. Still got up for an early morn sesh though. Be prepared fro small surf in Feb but beautiful weather and water. DSC_9830.jpg

20. waterbaby

Oct 1, 2012
    hell, just the small prop plane ride from san jose to tamarindo is an adventure in itself...especially in wet season. We also just drove it once and that was fine.