Surfing the North Sea: Is it worth the hassle?

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by brewengineer, Aug 6, 2013.

1. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Octoberfest will be over by the time I arrive. It is the last week in September. :(

2. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    Well, I hadn't really made my mind up yet. I was hoping someone would have some cool story about a secret spot.

3. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    BE,

This is turning into a pretty funny thread because your dread of the trip is just ooooooozing out all over SI. These folks are trying to get you excited about the trip. Rest assured that during that month we will surf in your memory.

4. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Well that's strange, I never looked into it too far to know that, I would think it would be in October , hence Octoberfest! hahaha

5. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    In that case, I'd be chasing all the German tail I could (if your single of course)

6. OC&SC-83

OC&SC-83 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    The Eisbach wave. Eisbach River in Munich.
    Think about 2 1/2 hours from where you'll be.

7. Bill Cosby's nephew

Bill Cosby's nephew Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Here's some advice: Don't worry about surfing while you're over there. Enjoy Germany. Best semester of my life

8. zrich

zrich Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I lived in Newcastle for a year, and while there met some guys who would surf Whitley Bay. I checked it out a few times and just couldn't get myself stoked enough to paddle out in 40 degree water to surf 1-2 ft windslop. I'm sure the waves are better occasionally, but it's probably rare. It's only a month - either follow margo's advice and look into cheap flights to somewhere with more reliable waves, or enjoy the culture for a month.

9. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    I used to get excited about this stuff. After 3 years straight of about 100% travel for work, I got burnt out. Now, I try to avoid all travel that isn't specifically to places I want to go to for vacations. It won't likely be as bad as I make it out to be, but I will miss SC while I am over there. I would be much happier if they were sending me to Italy. It could definitely be worse. My coworker has to spent the month in Turkey. At least the Germans don't generally despise Anericans.

10. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    Nice. Any suggestions? I am sure being a college kid in Germany would be pretty crazy.

11. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    I am married. That's why I refuse to have an assignment in Brazil. I hear all the guys that spend time working down there end up getting divorced.

12. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Seriously, I'd have to bring my wife with me if I ever went there. She's from Honduras so I kinda have that at home every day. But yeah, not smart to go alone if married, that's a recipe for disaster, unless you got serious control or a blind fold.

13. sandpiperIII

sandpiperIII New Member

Sep 9, 2011
    i'm originally from germany and although i don't really like there - that's why i'm here, i would like to summarize a few of the suggestions on this board.
    1.) by no means is it worth going up to sylt or any other place at the north sea if you are doing it for surfing. there are no real waves, it's windslop - think great lakes in ohio....
    2.) germany is FUN! it's not that bad !! go for a weekend to Berlin, it's an exciting, hip city...
    3.) if you really want to surf - either drive to the atlantic coast in france. it's probably not much further than sylt. check out the breaks on MSW. or get a cheap flight to FUERTEVENTURA - best CANARY island for surfing. it's 3.5 hours and you will have big swell there on the north coast - way bigger than in S.C. it's a wave machine and Germany tourists love to fly there on package deals, so it's a cheap flight and or hotel/car rental package.
    ENJOY EUROPE !!!

14. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    Thanks man. That is very helpful info.

15. dudeclimbing

dudeclimbing Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Buy a snow board n ride white waves. In Rome do as Romans! Adapt! not that bad for long white waves, and I mean as long as u want n no *** in your way. No wait. It's not that bad n keeps ya on ur toes n heels. Good luck
    Why wear a wet suit when rich gals r in hot tight ski gear waiting to buy ya a drink n dinner. I live in mts. Of Co. And they r there n Europe. B a play boy on there dime enjoy!

16. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    Hahah, yeah, I know what you are talking about. We used to hit Sauze D'Oulx in the winter when I would visit Italy. Lots of snow bunnies up there.