Surfer Attacked By Shark At SC Governor's cup @ The Washout

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Erock, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
  2. dlrouen

dlrouen Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Glad he made it to shore safely.

Surfer or bodyboarder? "But as the shark’s jaws snatched his surfboard, the Myrtle Beach boy escaped unscathed about 5:30 p.m. when he unhooked the leash connecting his arm to the board"

3. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011

Idiot reporters. Hell, it could have been a large "Old" Red Drum. But, since it's Shark Week, it MUST have been a Bull Shark! IMO the story would have ended very differently had it actually been a Bull.

4. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    could be a barracude as well maybe alligator im glad he wasnt hurt and they should label it a shark attack when it wasnt i hate when the media mislabels articles 70% of the time

5. KillaKiel

KillaKiel Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Shark tangled in leash? Was that leash made from a 6 pack rings?

6. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    maybe it was just a dolphin.
    honestly why are you guys so angrily against the report that it was an 8ft bullshark?

7. Surfchic

Surfchic Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Since none of you were there you should keep your comments to yourself......I was there and it was in fact a
    8ft. bull shark that had been hanging out in the area all day we had to pull my longboard heat (when we had the first sighting) out of the water which I actually thought it was a black tip but I didn't see it very well but some SUPers and the judges saw it and it was of considerable size....not a baracuta (idiot) thank the good Lord it wasn't your kid in that heat...it's not all fun and games when this stuff happens it's real and it had a profound affect on us all. So before you starting making your stupid jokes about something you have no clue about maybe show a little respect for this little grom who could have lost his life on Sunday and his family and friends who have been affected by this event.

8. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011

You need to learn to spell before calling someone else an idiot.

In case you didn't know, Barracuda can be found in the surf and estuarial backwaters. A really big one used to hang out under my grandparent's floating docks when I was young.

Now, there is absolutely no way for them to tell unless they got a good look. It could just as well have been a Sand Tiger or Spinner. You can't tell a shark is a Bull unless you get a really close look at the front of their head and their eyes.

I don't see how any of the other posts are at all "disrespectful." But yeah, regardless, I'm glad the kid is ok...

9. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    I don't doubt it was a bull. They are quite common around here. An SUPer reported seeing a big arse hammerhead yesterday morning at 33rd on IOP (where I have been surfing lately). That is pretty rare. I was at 33rd all afternoon, but have no shark sightings to report. I did get stung about 6 times by jellies, which was rather annoying.

10. Surfchic

Surfchic Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Point taken I was upset and still am.....I am not a shark expert but it was definitely identified by more experienced folks who have been surfing and fishing in these waters for over 30 years who said that it was.

11. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Did you place in the event?

12. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    The Govt run media wants you to believe it was a shark so that they can kill sharks and sell soup.... Monsanto is pumping steroids and other chemicals in the ocean to beef up the sharks.
    Don't eat shark fin soup unless you know the sharks are GMO free.

DISCLAIMER: I am not serious.

13. Henny

Henny Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Sandbar sharks are one of the most common sharks in the surf zone.They do get large and are often mistaken for Bulls.Like the bull shark,they have a rounded snout and thick bodies.Sharks species in general(with a few obvious exceptions) aren't quite so easy to identify.This often leads to the "sand shark" ID...of course there is no such species as a "sand shark". That said,A bull shark committed to the attack would cause major damage.No one can be 100% certain what type of shark it was... I'm just glad the kid is ok!

14. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Sounds like a rabid manatee to me

15. surfsolo

surfsolo Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    all wrong! It was Megalodon BRAH

16. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Hey, I axed you where you're going on your honeymoon and I told you to change your name to NJNY.......

Why is this thread even on this site. So what, a southern kid got attacked by a shark? Yeah so? It's just some southern kid, not an important northern kid.

Disclaimer: I am confused and not sure weather or whether I am serious or not.

Didn't anybody tell the shark that it was a contest area and that they had the permits to prove it? The area should have been off-limits to non-competitors. People/sharks just don't follow rules.

Surfchic, don't get all bent. You got to toughen-up. It's a violent world out there. Somewhere right at this moment someone is getting blown-the-F-up. Though relatively rare, shark attacks happen especially down there. You guys should overfish and pollute your waters a bit more. It really clears out the sealife......

Thanks for listening.

17. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    HEY IDIOT welcome to the ocean they are sharks maybe next time you paddle out you might not be so lucky not that i wish that upon you, why dont you show a little respect for the ocean and go get a tampon and suck it the **** up.

18. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Surfchic you can be pissed all you want but the fact remains that it most likely was not a bull shark since they are quite pissy sharks and attack even with out provocation. According to NOAA Bulls are in the top three for fatal attacks when unprovoked what do you think would happen if this shark actually got tangled in a leash with a kid right there? It would have been a tragic scene. As Erock and others have mentioned looking at it from above would be near impossible to tell which is which even for a seaoned fisherman. It was likely a sandbar shark. But yes I am very glad the kid is okay. I had my 7 year old out last month in some small rollers when a 4 ft sandy swam by about 8 feet from us, we stayed out and my wife yelled at me later!

19. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Video from local ABC news affiliate

20. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Sup dude... I don't recall you axing me bout the honeymoon... Must have missed it. Still not 100%, It's between Tahiti and Nova Scotia.
    I will most likely move back to NY in the next year or two. Then I'd have to switch again