Free Surfboards

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by sonfollowerssurf, Feb 8, 2013.

1. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    he's also a world class douchbag in real life.

2. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    I am guessing that matches most celebrity surfing personalities. I heard G. Mac is an arsehole as well. Doesn't change the fact that there is nothing wrong with riding an SUP.

3. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    as long as its not in the lineup......

4. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Hey anytime mang. In all reality my statement was tongue in cheek and honestly I have no problem with what people choose to believe provided it doesn't harm others. But you're still the man.

So if we swapped a few words in there, we could stretch the definition of church to include this very forum(and obviously the ocean itself):cool:

5. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Nice post CapeCod, you're always welcome in the lineup round these here parts. I'm sorry my story grieves you, but never fear, it didn't keep me from having a belief in God, because I certainly do, but I don't fit the Christian stereo type by any means. I'm a sinner if there ever was one HAHA, and having had that experience, it opened my eyes to how others can take things a bit too far, fanatical is a word, but it's more than that, it's creepy LOL I use to attend church, but never felt like I fit in. I have nothing in common with most of the people there, and it's very "clickish" for a lack of better words. I don't find that environment my cup of tea. So nowadays I paddle out in the ocean, find a spot to myself, have some time to reflect, and then I go on to have an inspired session. Hope my posts didn't offend you.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  6. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I own an SUP so i'm an assclown? You could tell me that to my face and then we could see who's the assclown, how's that sound there tough guy? I and many others who SURF also own an SUP, around here it's quite normal actually, as they are great to cross train with, as well as go fishing from, and from time to time sure I might ride a wave on it, but it's not my primary mode of wave riding, but you didn't deserved that explanation. Anytime man, anytime....

7. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    I don't care what you ride, as long as you show respect. Some of the better surfers around here have been known to break out the SUP, even on bigger days.

8. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I believe it, Brew, whether people want to accept it or not, having one will make you a better surfer, or better yet, better watermen. It strengthens your core and legs so much it's ridiculous. All that time spent standing / balancing makes your sea legs stronger and stable. When you switch to a prone board and pop up to your feet, your solid and on really good days your legs don't get tired from riding wave after wave because your so use to long periods of standing / balancing that's it's nothing.

9. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    It rarely works out in practice. Consider that the SUP rider surely must be aware that most of the surfers in the lineup are bummed when they show up, because it actually does impact surfing to have someone on such a substanially different watercraft in the lineup. I personally would feel like I was being disrespectful just by showing up and doing something that I KNEW diminished their enjoyment, much like i wouldnt want a kayak or ski puttering around in the lineup no matter how much the operator tried to show respect. I get on a sup once in a whlie, but i could never hover over a lineup of surfers on one knowing the impact it has. To each his own though. They have every right to be in the ocean, and in a lineup.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  10. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Never in crowds, it's just not worth it, for lots of reasons

11. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    I am not bummed with the dudes I know out here that SUP. They are out there with me and we take our turns on waves. It may be different in the crowded areas, but we have a long beachfront with plenty of spots. Even on a busy day here, there are only a couple SUP guys and maybe 10 surfers.

12. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    I have never seen or surfed with an SUPer who had any clue so maybe that's where my animosity comes from.

13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Understandable, I get frustrated with the noobs who try it out around here from time to time, I almost got ran over by one not too long ago at the Inlet, I was on my short board, he was on the SUP, and the guy came within an inch of my head, so I get it. If you ever want to see someone operate one with skill and etiquette, come on down and I'll show you how it's done. You'll learn a new appreciation i'm sure, and I'll make sure to call you into a few set waves too, not that you need any help i'm sure, but I don't mind throwing a bone here and there, with the view we get we can see them coming before anybody else and can see more clearly where they'll break. But honestly man, these days I just haven't been all that into it, been digging on the LB and Coil too much to bother with that lug.

14. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    It's cool. And +1 w/ the "no harm, no foul" approach. Shaka.

15. capecodcdog

Jun 22, 2012
    No worries. It's all good. My point was that your story illustrates a problem that's been going on a long time. In fact, the people who Jesus got intensely angry with was not the lowly sinner, but the religious hypocrites in His day. He had choice words for them.

16. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Good i'm glad, and you are correct, I guess that's what bothers me the most about organized "religion".

17. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    The thread that just won't die for your sins.

18. capecodcdog

Jun 22, 2012
    Indeed. Christianity is not intended to be a "religion" but a "relationship". Likewise, the Church is not intended to be an "organization" or "physical building", but an "organism", thus the NT metaphor of "the body" (this is what Wayne was getting at in post #249).

Unfortunately, it doesn't take much for this to degrade or get maligned. I suppose one issue is that humans seem to have a "control problem" (i.e., desire for) which causes things to move from relational/body to religion/organization, and that's where the simple and genuine aspects of Christianity get lost.

19. capecodcdog

Jun 22, 2012
    Comic relief appreciated.

20. sonfollowerssurf

sonfollowerssurf Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Thank you for clarifying that capecoddog. Forget the denominations,rituals,building,etc.Grab a bible and some friends, go to the beach and start discussing. It is real simple, you should try it. Whole idea is to follow Jesus.