What do you guys do?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by 34thStreetSurfing, Sep 25, 2013.

1. 34thStreetSurfing

34thStreetSurfing Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Yeah PJB... I completely relate to everything you said. I agree 100% with the comment about chasing paper and material goods. I honestly feel that people get too caught up with the money, the fame, the fancy cars and whatnot. I can confidently say that I'm lucky to know the few things that make me happy. For me it is getting out in the water with some of my best buds and sharing some empty winter waves. When I'm not doing that, I'm out on a field playing the sport I know and love, lacrosse.

What it comes down to for me, is that I could be doing any job in the world. For all I care, I could be shoveling **** in the dumps of SoCal, but as long as I have some waves to surf, and a field to play, I can't imagine life being that bad.

A little off topic, but I wanted to share an experience I had a couple weeks ago that make me recognize why I truly loved surfing. It was a couple fridays ago, Friday the 13th. I'm sure most of you jersey guys know the day I'm talking about. It was one of the first full days of swell in a long time. Where I was, we got the best of the swell and were seeing some head high sets rolling through, west wind all day. But my experience in the water that morning, was one I had not had in a long time.

I woke up at about 5:30 that morning and called my buddies to meet up and find a spot that was working. The first spot we drove up to was pumping. However, there were about 30 people out in the lineup. I usually hate surfing with a crowd of that many guys, but the waves were too good to pass up. I paddled out with my buddy and the atmosphere was seriously something I hadn't experienced in a long time. Among the guys who paddled out were some old timers waking up before work, some kids who were hopping in before school, and kids like me who were unemployed and just living life. But the vibe in the water, was just total stoke.

If you got a good wave, didn't matter if you were a 20 year veteran of the break, or a newbie getting their first head high wave, you could hear the hootin and the hollerin from the guys outside once you kicked out the back. Such a great day of surfing, I've never seen so many guys grinning from ear to ear in one day. Everyone got waves, everyone was stoked to be out, and I was pumped to be a part of it all. Now I know that this probably isn't something I'll find on the West Coast, but it is jut one of the many reasons I enjoy surfing, and hopefully I'll continue doing so for as long as I possibly can.

2. pinkstink

pinkstink Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    This is a great thread! 34th st, as someone who is a little over two years out of school (also with a business degree), I’ve gotta tell you that there’s no easy answer. My first piece of advice is whatever you do DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR PARENTS. They grew up when the rules were different, when if you worked hard and played by the rules you got rewarded by a cushy corporate job. Now, nothing is guaranteed so never ever feel like you owe the people you work for anything.

I never had a lot of direction coming out of college. The sales job I had throughout college was great because I made bank and got to travel a lot as a result, but it wasn’t something I wanted to keep doing afterwards. So I bummed around and surfed for a few months, sent out a handful of applications, and now I work for a large financial services company sitting in a cubicle and doing a lot of reports on excel. The money isn’t great (I made more money selling cutlery in college) but I get out of work at 5 every day, I have 4 weeks paid vacation and the benefits are good. I like having the balance, which is something I didn’t have in college when I worked every free moment I had. I can tell you I’m definitely a better surfer for it.

Whatever you do, make sure you keep a balance. But also never stop working to improve yourself. Don’t stagnate. Pick up hobbies other than surfing for when the waves are flat (I just started brewing my first batch of beer!). And save your money. I have lots of friends making much better money than me but most of them have nothing to show for it b/c they blow it all on partying, expensive apartments, new toys every week, etc. Live simply and keep your focus on what really matters. Surfing, your health, family and friends. If you can do that, then it doesn’t really matter what you do.

And sorry for the novel. I got a little carried away.

3. Cali-Chelu

Cali-Chelu New Member

Sep 6, 2013
    You guys are funny. There are some creative writers here. I'm a Firefighter, I can see the beach from my station here in Cali. I work 48 hours and then get 96 off. No, I don't surf as much as I'd like. Does anybody ever get to?

4. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    reminds me of a song.
    [video=youtube;xhNneU5shTs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhNneU5shTs[/video]

5. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    for someone from jersey, you sure know a lot about CA...and you're 100% correct. There are secondary spots, between newport and san diego, that you can get some fun waves without too much frustration, but the well known spots anywhere else in socal are over overpopulated by locals who are who have decades of experience at position jockeying, so you'll never get a wave, no matter how good you think you are. Malibu is the worst of them all...even if you do get lucky enough to even think caught a wave to yourself, there will be at least five dudes (mostly kids) dropping in on you somewhere along the ride....not even a longboard will save you.

The thing about norcal and beyond is that the water is always cold (high 50s max in summer and hovering high 40s in winter), but the ocean and air temps don't change drastically (unlike the east coast) the farther north you go. Oregon and Washington temps are relatively similar to those in Northern CA. Main difference is oregon and washington have a few more overcast days (of which norcal gets a lot, already).

6. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I completely agree that stressing about material goods is no way to spend your life... I spent too much time worrying about that.
    Money does not buy happiness, BUT is sure helps. And it does buy freedom. I was broke for a while. Working long hours and never getting ahead. I was miserable and always needed the next paycheck to get back to $0...
    Having money has definitely made things easier. I'm happier, not because I have "stuff", because I don't have the stress of worrying about how to pay the bills.

7. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    I am partners in a general contracting business...we build a lot of additions, but pretty much do it all except for mechanicals, and we also have an excavation business on the side. We have a Bobcat & a mini-excavator and dig a lot of foundations for masons.
    Sometimes the pressures of business/weather get to you...but not this week...good god, this weather is awesome! I'm thankful that I have a chance to work outside and not be cooped up in a little box and the fact that each day is different from the next; I've worked jobs before where I did the same thing over and over again and it's not for me, it drives me to insanity.

Good luck in finding what you want to do. It's not an easy decision, but you have to decide what's important to you...being happy or making s tons of $ and never having any time to do things you love. The way I see it, I'm living now, I am young, am able to surf for hours at a time, don't know what tomorrow will bring, if I'll be here or not...so I'm going to surf every chance I get instead of busting my ass so I can have a lot of stuff, all I need is waves.

8. johhnyutah

johhnyutah Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    I've heard there's some decent surf there and my father in law has a place there, so I will be driving myself and dog (while the wife and kid fly) up in the summers. I'd love to check out small point though I hear the locals (non-surfing) can be difficult to deal with.

9. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I like to come to swellinfo and see what paddington has to say.... sometimes when people complain about the surf being horrible this summer.... I like to politely remind people that paddington has been surfing all summer long on knee high glassy drainers... see there I go again.

lol... paddington you better not get pissed about this.

10. zrich

zrich Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I'm on my second career and thinking about a third. I started out as a R&D chemist after college which was interesting but I didn't love it. Went back to school got an MBA and work in finance. The money is good but the job is boring. I'm too far from the beach to surf during the week so only get to go when things line up on the weekends.

I work for a team based out of Orange County so thinking about using this job to move out West to get residency in CA so I can go back to school for physical therapy. The only thing holding me back is my wife. She's an attorney, so she would have to take and pass the CA bar and find a job out there. She's originally from CA and wants to go back, so I think it will happen in the next 12 months.

Take a chance now. You're young and if it sucks you can always make your way back. It's hard starting out but get your foot in the door and the opportunities will come if you're a hard worker.

Good luck!

11. Blackfish

Blackfish Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I want to do anything else other than what I do, but no opportunities at the moment. Waiting for an open position at Screen Gems Studios in the transportation dept. Or open a business with a friend renting Bicycles and surf / paddle boards..just so we can fix them, or a decking company. Half way through life and have no idea what I want to do.

12. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Wow man I miss one day and all this good stuff happens. Hey Blackfish, don't feel bad, I'm right there with ya, 32 tried a few things...taught, construction, lobster boat. Now pondering the next step. If there were still lobsters in the Sound that's what I'd be doing. IT gruntwork at the moment, which is ok cuz all my sicktime has been used to surf and i don't catch any shyte. Hey PJB spot on as always.

Man, Friday the 13 was a fun day for me too 34th.

13. wavehog1

wavehog1 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Couldn't agree more with Zippy!!!

and Paddington...

"Accepting jobs you hate only leads to crack and Kasser's vodka and opiates. Don't let the world define your existence, create your own. Really, this existence doesn't matter. Surfing is one of the only vechicles on this planet worth chasing, and it is one of the few things that let you even begin to undertsand anything. Dogs help, too. "

THE ONE THING WE ALL HAVE IN COMMON (on this forum) IS THAT WE ARE LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE FOUND AND HAVE SURFING AS A PART OF OUR LIVES!!! WE ARE ALL WATERMEN AND I TRULY BELIEVE THAT THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE THAT EVEN REMOTELY COMES CLOSE TO THE FEELING THAT SURFING GIVES US! AT THE END OF OUR LIVES I GUARANTEE THAT YOUR BEST MOMENTS IN LIFE ARE GOING TO BE BECAUSE OF SURFING!!!

I really feel bad for the people that never get to experience it or the guys that just watch sports on tv for fun.

Surfing keeps us alive. Surfing keeps us in remarkable shape. In the human species we as surfers are all above average when it comes to physique, stamina, coordination, overall health etc... For those of you that are 25 and over take a good look around at your close friends that don't surf. Its not just physical either... your mental well being, spirit, attitude etc... are all heightened just because you surf!

Cheers to ever started this thread... I think its really making everyone reflect for a moment.

14. 34thStreetSurfing

Aug 13, 2009
    Yeah I'm lovin this... keep em comin!

15. wavehog1

Sep 20, 2013
    Ya.... thanks for the good thread man!!!

16. wavehog1

Sep 20, 2013
    You get the "Good Thread" award!!!

17. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Please keep drinking Florida Orange juice, been in the business for 31 yrs., believe it or not, its been one of the best jobs i've ever had, love it, get to take off anytime I want to go surfing, seven more yrs. and somebody can take my position...I'm done...time to travel!!!

18. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I work in law enforcement (3 years out of college) and I am trying to transition into a different career field.

19. 34thStreetSurfing

Aug 13, 2009
    31 years is impressive! People seem to switch jobs to often these days. I think they say on average people switch jobs every three years now.

20. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Its been a dream job, before that I worked at a nuclear power plant during the construction phase that's where I learned the trade I'm in now.....full steam ahead captain. A little word of advise to all young people...keep working, don't be lazy, take care of what you got (family, friends) cause life goes by quick...trust me...and stay in shape by....yes...Surfing...O.K., I'll shut up now!!!