east coast Atlantic big wave expedition?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Sandblasters, Sep 26, 2013.

1. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    So you say it should be disclosed as long as possible:

dis·close (d-sklz) tr.v. dis·closed, dis·clos·ing, dis·clos·es 1. To expose to view, as by removing a cover; uncover.

But then say stopping the population progression should be a must. Which is it? Also if you think tons of surfers are going to flock to ride bombs like in Seldoms pic then you give the average surfer way too much credit.

2. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    F**k it I had to wash my hands of the situation. Pics gone.

3. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Yeah shame on you man for posting that secret photo from that secret sesh at a spot that breaks almost daily.;)

4. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
  5. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    There are little islands near Walker's Cay in the far north Bahamas. Sharky as hell but that is where the rad boyz go. Cherokee south of Elbow gets 25 -30 African swell that nobody wants.

I have seen Pumphouse and Reef Road get 25 - 30 foot faces. This was a decade before the Perfect Storm Halloween swell. It was a March no name swell. We had twin fins and got annihilated, but my bro from Cali had a Lopez Lightning Bolt and made the giant lefts.

I saw Evan G. paddle into a 15 foot bomb at Pumphouse during the Sandy Swell cause he couldn't get a tow and was floating out there waiting for a ride and got itchy and just went.

There is a spot south of the St. Lucie Inlet called Phantoms. It is a Cloudbreak about a mile out. It goes off once in a blue moon and from what I've heard it is strictly tow in when it does its thing. But Evan would go! For a skinny young kid he has sack.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  6. banman

banman Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Was the same at wrightsville. Looking north up the beach you could see 10 left barrels at a time, constantly firing. Thinking about it makes this season that much more depressing.

7. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    ive seen that pic on the internet before i think some new yorker was riding that wave.

8. surfer23451

surfer23451 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Good morning! I've never seen anything close to Mavericks on the east coast, but the biggest rideable surf I have ever seen (and ridden) was on Sunday, January 3, 1999. It was a beautiful day - sunny and fairly warm - with water temperatures close to 50. There were 12-15 foot faces all along Virginia Beach and a ton of people lined up on the boardwalk and a substantial number in the water. I was surfing at the 15th St. pier and we were paddling into waves about 150 feet past he end of the pier. It was pretty incredible! I wish I had some pictures! Since then I have surfed hollower and heavier waves of some size (Playa Hermosa at 10 to 12 feet and Haleiwa at 8-10 feet), but I have never had the chance to surf bigger faces than that Sunday. Aloha!

9. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Nice videos and good surf.
    However, none of that are "big waves" by today's definition of big waves. 12-15 foot is a small day at Mavs, and quite average on the North Shore. "East Coast" Atlantic is actually Europe, and that's where all the "big" waves in the Atlantic. Just like most big wave spots, they are located on the western side of the continents (with the exception of some islands), as that's the direction big swells travel.
    The only true big wave Atlantic spots along the eastern seaboard of North America may lie up in Canada, along the Canadian Maritimes.

10. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    I will gladly take a head high day. That would be epic right now. Everything is relative. Lack of funds to travel is not a big deal as long as it is consistently rideable ( waist high plus), but the lack of adrenaline rush takes its mental toll. Lets hope we get some decent size swell soon! One good well overhead wave well surfed can be replayed on an endless loop in the minds eye and cure the ankle high blues for weeks.

11. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    You are 100% correct. Our biggest freak swell events are considered 10 -12 foot Hawaiian scale, not even close to holding the Eddie contest. Most big wave hellmen surf waves that are 40 foot faces plus. We will never see it that big here on the US Mainland East Coast unless we get a tsunami. Right now there is a mulletnado alert for the near shore waters of Central and South Florida. Be careful out there.

12. Gilman Photography

Gilman Photography Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
  13. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Hahaha idk man, watching this discussion makes me want to repost, but I've decided that I have no business doing so. I've never been out there, nobody I personally know has been out there...from here on out the only pics I'm ever posting are going to be ones that i take. The internet is increasingly creeping me out, and I don't want to be responsible for f**king anything up.

That being said, I think that spot will be where the biggest wave on the US east coast will be ridden. Disclaimer again, not saying it's anything comparable to legit big wave spots. But I have seen certain well known points breaking well over 15 ft(not saying often, but it's happened), and not during the thick of the weather, talking 'bout favorable conditions type stuff.

14. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
  15. Vince Fontane

Vince Fontane Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2013
    On the east coast, there has not been a "legit" big wave spot discovered. Yea there are some spots that get big when conditions and stars align but nothing like Mavs.

16. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I don't think the entire east coast has been rocked by as huge and clean of a swell since the Halloween 1991 swell. It was big to huge and relatively clean for three days in a row October 30, 31, and November 1. At least here in the Delmarva, for about two days in there, it was light onshore to calm winds and the swell was in the 10-15' @ 16 second range. Needless to say, it was overloading every spot I saw on the two biggest days, but the sun was out and the ocean was glassy. Quite a sight.

The fact that south florida was getting clean swell like this (below) from a storm that was east of the mid-atlantic is pretty amazing

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  17. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    I always love seeing that pic of reef road it just makes the mind wonder when it will happen again maybe next month ,maybe next year.but when it happens everyone will be stoked for years.

18. Thewaternerd

Thewaternerd Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I don't think it'll ever happen... Living on the wrong coast. The continental shelf will most likely kill all chance of having a "mavericks in backyard"

19. ThatSlyB

ThatSlyB Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Not a Mavericks, but an offshore spot is just as possible as on the West Coast.