Costa Rica This November

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by yourdirtymomma, Sep 28, 2013.

1. rvb

rvb Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    also, if airfare prices matters to you, November would typically be a cheap month to fly to CR as opposed to their high season (Dec-April).

2. Blackfish

Blackfish Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I am going to CR in November as well, Mal Pais.....cant wait.

3. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    good choice. I always went to Jaco first(nearest break to SJO) then to Mal Pais. Stopping off at Boca Barranca on the way to the ferry.

4. wavehog1

wavehog1 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2013
    If you guys all go up to Guanacaste, did you know that you can fly into Liberia? Its about the same cost and is 30 minutes from Tamarindo. It saves a lot of driving and hassle of San Jose. You land, they throw your crap out on the runway and you leave. Only thing about Liberia is apparently they don't have runway lights so there are no night flights. Not really a big deal. Spent about a month doing the guy thing down there and then our wives flew down to meet us for the last couple weeks. We were staying with a friend up north so the girls flew into Liberia and it was sweet! Saved us about 6 hours of driving time.

5. pinkstink

pinkstink Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Chich, it sounds like you have a lot of experience in Jaco. I'm going October 12th for 7 days and another 3 in San Jose. Ayudame hombre! He hecho una reservacion en un hostal se llama Las Camas Hostel Mini al lado de Sol Dorado en Jaco Beach. What are your favorite breaks? Favorite bars? Any quick advice would great!

6. volcomsurf421

volcomsurf421 Member

Jul 21, 2008
  7. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    never been there, so don't know about the waves, but I do know I don't like black sand beaches...they just look kinda gross

8. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Jaco is kinda gross, underage prostitutes abound and the small time dealers work with the cops to set u up for weed possession
    mal pais is pretty and has kinda decent surf, but thievery is like the national sport or something

Id skip CR and always go to panama or nicaragua, if I had the choice, Nica in summer, bocas del torro in panama in winter

9. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    Playa Hermosa is as close to Jaco I care to stay. It's got tons of breaks and jungle nearby. there's a guy that posted on a CR thread with connections in Esterios Oeste. I'd try there. sweet 3-4 peak wave with a small boat channel nearby.
    there's a break north of there called Punta Mala. I nice rustic hotel sat right in front of a natural rock jetty that went way the fuggout. sweet left hander.
    then there's Dominical. Used to be a rock bottom break with a river mouth and long rides. the last time I was there was in 01, and all the rocks were gone. they were pulling rocks out of the river to shore up the new Pan Am hywy. Just a giant dumping wave. Like VB but bigger.
    we found a weird break north of that with a square tube. we called this place Mona's cove. She was driving when we saw 2 ruts going off the road and made to go for her first off road excursion

8043161589_36663c3e3e_b.jpg

but there was on ominous feel about the place.

8043161677_5def44c7cd_b.jpg

10. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    same deal with tamarindo - junkies will snatch a purse in broad daylight, if they have to

11. chad05gt

chad05gt Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    Same as New Orleans. Dont make yourself out to be an easy mark ( leave laptop, phone, camera, etc out; NO bright new 'steal me' vacation purse... ) use common sense and you'll have a great trip.

12. wavehog1

wavehog1 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Jaco really has become a ghetto! It used to be nice but now I don't go there anymore. The beach break isn't even good and when its raining you damn sure don't want to be out there! (poo-poo las olas) Like the others said, I would recommend going up north or down south.

13. imperial

imperial Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Headin down Nov. 24 and will be in Jaco for 10 days. CR always has waves although the southern hemi season is slowin down but Hermosa still has head high days. Travel to CR twice a year for the last 9 years... let me know if you want in info. There are many great breaks close to Jaco. Jaco is a good base camp and that's why I have my place there. Not a ghetto...way better than 90% of the beach towns in our country. November is a good time to go cause its just getting cold here in the states and its just before Costa Rica's "high" season which is like the fourth of july here. Kids get out of school for break on December 15 and don't return until February so it gets crazy over Christmas. Plus the government shuts down over Christmas and the whole country has a big fiesta!
    Pura Vida

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  14. imperial

imperial Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Clarita's Bar...right on the beach at the north end of town. Eat at Soda Tipica in the center of town next to El Hicaco restaurant. Raquels is a cool soda near Clarita's...

Buen viaje mi amigo!

15. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
  16. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Listen to this guy. He knows everything.

17. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    can anyone recommend a hotel for a night between mal pais and san jose for a night? maybe something in the mountains?

18. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    Hotel Boca Barranca. Long left hander. takes 15 min to walk back.

19. Blackfish

Blackfish Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Look for something in Cobano.....get across the ferry though for sure, Punterenas is sketchy. Montazuma is in the mountains and seems relatively chill from what little time I spent there, take the mountain crossing into Mal Pais near the fish market if you want a little adventure.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  20. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I totally agree jaco is NG - at least the main town area.. If you have to go stay just south of there... And stay out of jaco! Surf the pig farm... Or go here: http://www.travelzoo.com/top20/91976098-1587211