I'm getting me some Obamacare

Discussion in 'Non Surf Related' started by chicharronne, Sep 30, 2013.

1. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    You have a pretty sweet health care plan I bet. Who runs it? LOL.

2. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    against progressive taxes. the last platform of the libertarian party promoted a flat tax structure. People dont like welfare for the reasons stated above. there is actually a pretty easy solution that most people could agree on. do a top to bottom review of the federal budget (which the senate hasn't passed in years requiring continuing resolutions) and eliminate all duplication and waste. that alone could fund free healthcare for those who need it (but in voucher not some IRS run program).

3. rodndtube

May 21, 2006
    The devil is in the details. Very idealist statements above. The asserted statements of fact regarding why the Federal gov't is continuously funded by Continuing Resolutions is incorrect and tying that to a top-to-bottom review of the Federal budget is another fallacy. There are already numerous authorizing and appropriations congressional committees and subcommittees that are charged with that responsibility.

Yes, the Feds should always strive to reduce waste and duplication. Or fraud, waste and abuse. It goes by many names. Every little bit helps. But the widespread impression that waste and duplication is a major budget claimant is incorrect. The addition of unfunded prescription Medicare coverage during the Bush administration is likely greater that all the waste and duplication (that was passed by a Republican House and Senate), which at a minimum should have been means-tested. I've always wondered why the current Republican House hasn't proposed repealing that prescription drug unfunded program as part of their downsizing entitlements.

ACA is not an IRS-run program. You know better!

4. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    I used to work on the Hill and have seen the fed budget. There is tons of waste.

Here's a good example: take Pell grants...its free money based on need but what happens when the student gets a grant and drops out? Bye bye money.
    Another, TSA spend billions for scanning technology that it doesn't need.
    How about the NSA citizen surveillance program.

Don't get me started on the hundreds of studies. Do we really need to fund a study an the affects of alcohol on the promiscuity of college women? (this is a real federally fund study folks).

it's also EXTREMELY telling that 5 of the 10 richest counties in the US are around DC.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  5. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Safety nets seem to breed ****heads with poor behavior that dont take responsibility for their actions.

For instance, if I was a pregnant teen (which I'm not) or fallen on hard times (which I have) my fam and neighbors would be more likely to take care of me if I wasn't partying and being a jerk nozzle.

At one point I was layed off and on unemployment, I didnt know what to do, and then when it ran out, I had to do something...... for instance one neighbor knew I was out of FT work and I was able to cut his lawn, and then another and another, I got to work a lil in addition to a PT job that payed less than half the hourly of what I was making....another neighbor asked if I would garden her property, shed pay for the water and we would split the veggies, and my fam would help us out a little bit too by buying some groceries and putting word out I needed work)

Basically I should have ignored the UEI and gone right to PT work, and if there was no end to the UEI, I may not have gotten off my keister, I am glad I was forced to and it made me look at the handout as a enabling trainwreck

But If I can get handouts and act however I want......then can you see where I am going? Not saying I want to be a jerkoff, but there are plenty of arrogant ****s out there

bad things happen, they truly do, but if you are respectful and want to fix the situation you are more likely to get help back on your feet again. but if you have a crappy attitude and want to ride the gravy train, like an entitled ballsac, I truly have no patience for that and I shouldn't be asked to support it

6. rodndtube

May 21, 2006
    So... quantify that waste in dollars and program. I am not defending waste but am questioning the true extent and how it is defined (in the eyes of the beholder). My waste may not be your waste and v/v. My duplication may not be your idea of duplication and v/v.

7. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    the GAO report is a good example.

8. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    "Studies" and research make up a very very small portion of the federal budget. The biggest waste in this nation is the defense budget.

9. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    its still waste, just like secret service prostitutes, Gen Services trips to Vegas, Congressional use of military aircraft and presidential vacations. The money could be better spent helping people. defense budget is not immune as is entitlements.

10. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    [​IMG]

It is important to note that war costs us more than welfare.

11. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    Thats because they are prosecuted poorly. and my point above was that waste is waste regardless of the amount.

12. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    It was just a talking point. Most people b1tch about welfare and not war or defense. Personally, I am all for cutting out unneeded stuff in DC. However, I would like to see the defense budget cut back before we cut welfare. And I am no fan of welfare. The US being world police costs me personally thousands of dollars every year. I am not ok with that.

13. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    too much bloat in DoD too.

14. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Hey was that some "clever" way of mentioning Tom Forkin....isn't there some Jersey cat with that name...?

Yeah, I'm a trainwreck and proud of it. Trainwrecks are the interesting people.

Harris is my friend. We talk on the phone. He goes to Camden, NJ and tells me stories. Trevelution is my kind of revelutionary. He doesn't insult prominent members of surf predictin' website forums to gain attention for himself.

Umm, nahhh, I'm not "done." I didn't even get slightly grilled by you. I'm still red and raw, pancho.

Hey MakeitStop, one minute you want to create some utopia where everyone helps each other, and then the next minute you sound like Barry Goldwater. Make up your mind, dawg.

15. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    Barry Goldwater was my uncle

16. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Alas, PJB, I thought you were that man, and I insult you cause you are a bully, I haven't really insulted anyone else (on purpose)

and, "franchise gvt" is the goldwater esque comment you are referring too?

and I guess self proclaimed "prominent members of surf predictin' website forums" make you feel important
    LOL.

My purpose here: to be entertained, to share what I know about some things, and show bullies for what they are

17. rodndtube

May 21, 2006
    The first of 17 areas identified is a great one and surely to help beat back the debt:

1. Catfish Inspection. Repealing provisions of the 2008 Farm Bill that assigned U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service responsibility for examining and inspecting catfish and for creating a catfish inspection program would avoid duplication of federal programs and could save taxpayers millions of dollars annually without affecting the safety of catfish intended for human consumption.

Under the second section of the table, Other Cost Savings or Revenue Enhancement Opportunities, here is a beefier one:

19. Crop Insurance. To achieve up to $1.2 billion per year in cost savings in the Federal Crop Insurance program, Congress could consider limiting the subsidy for premiums that an individual farmer can receive each year, reducing the subsidy for all or high-income farmers participating in the program, or some combination of limiting and reducing these subsidies.

Act on those and give us a continuing resolution!

18. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Prostitutes are never a waste!

19. Paddington Jetty Bear

Apr 23, 2013
    Oh boy it's another one of these types......

Yes, saying, "Prominent member of a surf predictin' website forum," makes me very special. Just as special you must be if you took that seriously.

You remind me of a more intelligent PurpleheadedYogurtSlinger......maybe you've become more sophisticated.

You should look up the definition of "bully," if you claim that I am one. You can add that to your vocabulary list including, "Stasis." Is that the word you've been trying to get at?

Anyways, I'm not interested in some dude following me around taking pokes at every chance, and trying to insult each other. So if you have some problem, look me up on the outside world. And post your location on here. I don't take people too seriously when they won't even mention what state they live in.

20. Paddington Jetty Bear

Apr 23, 2013
    Oh yeah forgot.....

You know this word "Statist" you keep throwing around since yesterday.........

Where did you find it? It doesn't exist.