3/2 Winter

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by eshore, Oct 5, 2008.

1. eshore

eshore Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Has anyone ever tried only wearing a 3/2 in the winter? I dont want to buy a thicker.

2. EwrWrop

EwrWrop Active Member

Jun 11, 2008
    I wore a 3/2 Xcel Inifinity last winter. I was pretty cold, but if you throw a top on under it, you'll be fine.

3. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    i don't recommend rocking a 3/2 in the middle of winter. You are not going to last long when the water is in the low 40s. You are going to need 5mm gloves and boots as well as a hood for mid winter.

4. tbing

tbing Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    I had an Xcel 3/2. With 5mm gloves, boots and a 3 hood, I was fine for 1-2 hours. Its chilly... really chilly.

5. eshore

eshore Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Have any of you tried waearing 2 3/2s

6. DPR

DPR Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2008
    543 Hyperflex is nice. I didnt even feel the cold water. Also get the claw gloves there better then the other ones, your warmer and they dont smell as bad.

7. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    when i first started surfing, i remember, i wore a spring suit underneath a 3/2. terrible flexibility. I dont think a 3/2 over a 3/2 would even be possible to get on.

8. bonaire126

bonaire126 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    I have worn my O'Neill Psycho II 3/2 through December depending on how cold the water is. I will tell you that my upper body will get very cold, but the unbearable part is in the shins, where you have 2mm on a part of your body that has little fat on it. You will def need a thicker 4/3mm+ suit come Jan, if not well sooner.

9. conljw

conljw Active Member

Mar 20, 2007
    i have done it for the last few years, wore a 3/2 with a 3mm hood and 5mm gloves and booties but it is down right cold. even with a 2.5mm rash under it your going to be cold. Underarmor works but not as well as a real winter suit.
    it really all depends on how cold you want to be

10. tbing

tbing Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    If the air is warm, and you don't take many spills you should be fine.

11. wavehunter

wavehunter Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Until last year, I wore a 3/2 all winter every winter. I surfed ALL winter (Ing NC for 3 of the past 5 years) but was really really cold alot of days. Finally this past year I got a 4/3 and it has made all the difference and I think this year I'm going 5/4/3. I would definitely not recommend a 3/2 for the winter but if you've got nothing more and no funds to upgrade, it's doable.

12. Freedom2Surf

Freedom2Surf Member

Oct 3, 2008
    this kid jerseysurfrat89 will go bareback this winter he is a frikin walrus hahaha

13. ZionWorks

ZionWorks Member

Feb 1, 2008
  14. steelwave42

steelwave42 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2006
    I did this and trust me, it sucks. You'll get really cold, and your hips/legs will go numb, definately not worth it.

Layers just make it worse, and you feel real heavy and have no flexibility.

My advice is to hit all the shops till you get someone to cut you a deal. Thats what I did and came out with a sweet winter suit for 150$ cash, brand new. 350$ suit new. Usually someone will have a 4/3 or 5/4/3 that they want to get rid off, so just walk in and make them an offer. Good gear makes all the difference, bite the bullet and spend the money.

15. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    go for a 4/3 xcel infinitie or ripcurl fireskin, then where a thermal with hood attached, 7mm boots(must have) and 3mm psycho gloves, it lasted me through jerseys winters

16. bbnj

bbnj Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    i wear a 5/4/3 quicksilver ignite for the winter along with 5 mm boots and gloves and that keeps me warm. I couldnt imagine only wearing a 3/2 in the winter especially on cold february days with a hard wind

17. JerseySurfRat89

JerseySurfRat89 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2007
    whats the deal

with billabong wetsuits..theyre cheaper than ever(which is really good for me right now) but i dont know about the quality, durability and flexability..if anyone has one or has used or has a buddy with one please give me a little info on how they are...(ive surfed oniell my whole life and never tried anything else..the oniell is too small)

18. Freedom2Surf

Freedom2Surf Member

Oct 3, 2008
    i have a billabong 3/2

19. JerseySurfRat89

JerseySurfRat89 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2007
    and u complain about how much it sucks everytime we go

20. pvjumper05

pvjumper05 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2008
    i rocked a 5/3 with 3mm booties and gloves and it was definitely manageable. hands got cold after 2 hours or so but thats about it. id absolutely get a thicker suit than 3/2 for jersey winters