When did you start surfing?

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by TWC, Oct 15, 2013.

1. TWC

TWC New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    So tell me, when did you start surfing? And what was the board? Love to hear some good stories.

2. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Yesterday on a costco softtop. It was rad. After I learned (took only 10 min) I was getting barrels and boosting airs. When I came back in, there were reef girls lined up to the parking lot begging me for a date. I love surfing now.

3. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Last weekend, even though it was 23', or maybe just 8', and I was shotting piers all day on Sunday in defiance of the naked man in the white van screaming from within his white van about desecrating the sabbath.

And then, me & my crew poured lighter fluid all over my custom-made collector's edition 39' wooden $1.5 mln chucka-boo-boo gnome special & had us some broasted chicken.

4. RIsurfer

RIsurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    About 3 years ago on a 7'10'' NSP funboard in Narragansett during a tropical storm in May. Riding whitewater. I look back on that moment and I feel like such a kook.

5. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    50 years ago. Canvas inflatable air mat. Wore cheap, yellow-colored face mask & snorkel rig (w/ ping pong ball) and swim fins from probably one of the first K-Marts. Got bad mat rash and butt-fulls (or is it butts-full?) of sand from riding up onto the beach.

6. Mvsurfer

Mvsurfer Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Like 2 weeks ago after throttling out on a wavejet with my 7 mil wetty on

7. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    I don't surf, rather I perpetrate surfing forums and amass quite a bit of anecdotal knowledge in the process. Not related to surfing, but more pertaining to wetsuit design, open-hand striking tactics, contrails, hops & barley, pinning ceremonies, stock options, economy vodka, lacrosse glory day stories, the sham of "pro" surfing, the sham of "pro" American football, genome projects, large sealife creatures as medicine, the fall and subsequent further fall of New Jersey, the perpetual Civil War, how to singlehandedly own both North & South San Diego & Orange Counties, mummification via neoprene, prevalence of bipolar and schizophrenic disorders in surfers, assassinating poultry prior to deep frying it, vacationing in Puerto Rico and Costa Rica, the kingdom of Montauk, beach replenishment, and bad rap music.

8. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    It's "butts full", no hyphenation. Even though it's just your rear end (as far as we know...and please, don't answer that) its plural form is appropriate since we are talking about numerous single instances of episodic retention of sand via the anus. Just as you'd say "seven buckets full" when filling up the same bucket seven times.

Your mindfulness to grammatical correctness is noted and appreciated. Thank you for making SI a smarter place.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  9. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    A proper sacrifice to RoyCharlesDavidthegnome.

10. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Holy crap there have been some funny ones! I was gonna come in all joking but don't think I can live up to you guys origin stories so I will tell the truth. 22 years ago at high school spring break. Rode a early to mid 70's Jim Ovelin single fin. 6'10" pin tail, heavy and beat up as hell. Two of my buddies who were there surfed so after about 6-8 beers I decided I wanted to learn since Point Break had just come out and I wanted to be Bohdi. Took a few days but before the week was out I was standing up and riding. Been surfing ever since.

11. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    did the canvas mat thing for years (confederate flag and Budweiser models) then the morey sponge. got a real surfboard 9Sundancer twinnie) in 1980 and 'surfed' shin high slop at 27th st in OCMD.

12. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    I can just feel that this is gonna be a day where the SI break goes off. It's been flat all week. Couldn't even find an ankle biter. Now it's pumping.

FREE YOUR ALREADY SPARSE OFFICE SCHEDULE FOR ALL-DAY POSTING

13. Mvsurfer

Mvsurfer Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Dude its sucked, went out last sunday ready to do some robot surfing, and it was garbage. Long point then squibnocket, both were junk. This friday looks half decent though

14. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    Brah, I'm talking about the forum. The SI message board you're reading this on right now. Metaphors braddah. Doogie Howser calls it cryptic.

But yeah, swell coming our way. No advertising it or our schitty peaks will get crowded for once.

15. Cuck Taylor

Cuck Taylor Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Hey yank where did you play div 1 lacrosse again ? I have probably seen you before. Especally considering you played in New York. I frequent the round robin annual lacrosse tournament upstate there which is rife with division 1 athletes like you.

Beware the sonic ear claps come in vicious flurries yank.

16. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    It all began one summer in sunny southern California. I got a radical orange Morey Boogie at a department store, and my father and I headed to Zuma Beach. I waded out to waist deep water, jumped into white water, and rode it to the beach. 1980's chicks watched from the beach as I rode the whitewater better than any other person to set forth in humble Zuma Beach. Dudes with short shorts and bowl cuts looked on with jealousy......

I came home, after that first session, full of life and excitement. Dirty Deeds played from my stereo as I dried of from showering and admired my genitals. Such fine genitals they were. Ahh, my comfortable Californian ranch home(they withstand earthquakes better) in my comfortable suburban neighborhood, and now I had discovered what was to be my destiny and my world. Surfing's not a sport.... not some hobby....... Though Kasser's Vodka, PCP, ca-caine, and dope tried to derail me from my destiny, but they all failed. Notice I didn't mention THC. THC is good for you, and all real surfers should consume Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannibinol.

Then I started paddling into yet-to-have-broken-waves and dropped straight in and rode to the beach. The dudes turned greener and the girls moistened for Zuma Beach slams on the sandbars and has maimed and disfigured many a poor boy.

Then I really stepped up my game and moved my act to the Oxnard, CA area. Some cholos still speak of that Irish kid who used to ride straight at The Port Hueneme Pier on solid closeout days. At least I think they still do, as I do not speak Spanish. Except, of course, for montega, perrico, piedras blancas and mota.

They used to chant, "MANTEQUILLA...MANTEQUILLA..." as I approached the beach from the pier parking lot. Todd Young, Carter Slade, and Darren Cruz knew a legend was in the making, and I was invited to surf the Strand anytime I wanted to during the coming winter. However, daddy told me one day, "Son, we're moving back to Jersey....."

And I said, " But why, father, why?" And he petted my head and said, " Because mother hates southern California."

And that was that...........

17. dudeclimbing

dudeclimbing Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Spring break senior year high school. All my bud had was an extra was a short board. Had my bum handed to me. Did it in college in Lake Superior. Took off 12 years then got the bug again. Thank gosh I did.

18. MrMacdugal

MrMacdugal Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
  19. Lipsmacker

Lipsmacker Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
  20. wavehog1

wavehog1 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Classic..... some funny crap!

I'll just tell the real story cause its so pitiful some may chuckle.

Almost exactly 30 years ago ( I was 8 years old... I'm now 38 for those that don't have a calculator) I was a "husky" little 8 year old and my cousins took me boogie boarding for the first time. One of my cousins had a surfboard and since I like to skate I really wanted to try to surf. He let me use his board a few times and I was hooked! I think I was able to stand up and do the whole white water hop and shuffle till you either fall off or run a ground.

So for that Xmas I asked for $$$ cause I knew my parents wouldn't buy me a $400 surfboard. Yep.... I was going to have to go used. No Craigslist back then so I picked up the ol' Pennysaver. Saw a pawnshop advertising they had surfboards. Ended up buying a 6'4" Randy Richenburg with glassed wooden fins. Oh yeah, it had also been broken in half and repaired. Wasn't repaired real well cause it broke again, and again, and again but I just kept fixing it.

So my dad loved to fish and I loved to surf so he would take us surfing every weekend. Why not? He could fish and drink beer and not have to worry about us bothering him.

A few weeks into it we were surfing at the pier while dad was fishing. This is the time he gave me the best advice in my entire life..... He said, " I've been watchin you kids surf and noticed you go straight into the beach. Try goin sideways, I think it will make you go faster."

So with those words of wisdom my surfing abilities instantly skyrocketed! I was now going down the line, full speed ahead. A couple months later I started figuring out the whole turning thing.