'Going Feral' Roy's upcoming book...

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by Roy Stuart, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Roy Stuart

Roy Stuart Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    We dropped out back in 1991, escaped to an offshore island and lived for 14 years off the grid, I'm writing about what happened. #Going_Feral Subscribe for updates and short stories, thanks.

[video=youtube;jTXRHvQVBtk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTXRHvQVBtk[/video]

2. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    here we go again i bet the only thing feral was all the gay sex yall were having.

3. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    No house no telephone no electricity no running water no sewerage reticulation no plumbing no vehicle no bank no eftpos no credit card no internet.

4. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    It would have been great if you stayed.

5. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Sounds interesting. Like Waldon but with surfboards. What about wax and ding repair?

6. Kahuna Kai

Dec 13, 2010
    What's with the extreme pintails and surf astronaut suits?

7. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I wouldnt say going feral was exactly fair for your family....
    so... that's a pretty nasty injury to your face... what happened and how did you handle it in feral terms?

8. Cuck Taylor

Cuck Taylor Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013

That's really great stuff Roy. Man you really did your face some work, I'd like to hear that story.

Those boards with the black rail bands look sweet.

9. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    ^ yeas walden of surf

10. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    They all had a great time, actually.

Allowed myself the luxury of purchasing a few stitches ( one of only two times I used a doctor in the past 20 years) but removed them myself with a pair of nail scissors and was back in the water a week after the accident.

11. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    Charles I was riding the 70 pound redwood Dragon board in small onshore surf, and lost the board. I swam after it and possibly because i'd been in training for the NZ Nationals arrived at the destination faster than expected. In other words I swam at full speed into the pintail. A small piece of resin had been chipped off leaving a sharp edge about 1/8" across, the board was rocking up and down in the swell as I hit it so scribed a nice big slice. The impact was pretty hard too but it didn't hurt. I drove myself to the doctor and luckily a top plastic surgeon was visiting the beach clinic so I got the best possible result. Thirty six stitches were used, that makes 46 to the head in total so far.

I won a watch in NZ Surfing mag's 'Gash of the month'.

12. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    That depends upon when we are talking about... it was a 14 year mission, during which we started making surfboards.

We started making our own wax in 1998, using a recipe invented by my wife which has won several awards all over the world and is now well known as a standard organic board wax recipe.

13. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    What Koki said.

14. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Reminiscent of what that SoCal surfer 'guru' doc Paskowitz did to his kids. The film about his 8 kids, and how screwed up they are as a result of da-da's wacked out views & how he ran their lives.

"A megalomaniac father forces his family to live out his dream, even as that dream retreats further and further from reality.

In the film, the children, now adults, recount their struggles to detach from their father and live some semblance of their own lives.

Seventh son Salvador notes, my father said, ‘You can go swimming with sharks, but you’re not [expletive] going to school, that [expletive] is dangerous.”

Navah, the sole daughter, now 39, laments the sexism of her father, which she and her mother both felt. She recalls that she never, ever had girls’ underwear, since clothing was recycled from child to child.

And in some of the most painful footage, she talks about the psychological and sexual damage she suffered as the only girl sleeping with eight brothers in a tiny camper, with parents who noisily made love every night.

“We were like small monkeys in a weird monkey cage,” she says.

This thread is just another chunk of braggadocio from an arrogant, self-styled narcissist. With chucka-boo-boo's snout firmly entrencehd in gnome's tailpipe.

This gnome-the-legend stuff is the Kiwi version of 'The Poisonwood Bible.'

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  15. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    You can ask my children yourself if you want to exit your own toxic fantasy and enter reality.

They are on my facebook friends list... and I'm not Paskowitz.

My children were given the choice ( and still are) of schooling at home or at the regular insititution.

Anyhow the book will certainly create a variety of opinions on what we did, I already know that.

16. Kahuna Kai

Dec 13, 2010
    Gotcha. But what about the pin tails and astronaut suits?

17. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    What about them?

18. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    image.jpg

What board is this ? I want one

19. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    That's the 8'4" 'Phantom singlefin in balsa, glassed with 6oz . 8'4" by 21" from 1996, It could be done in paulownia. A great little board, a true double ender in every respect, rocker planshape and rails. It could have the fin on the other end and be exactly the same. Thickness was only 44mm, it could be scaled up a tad. There's another shot on there showing the fin, along with another board.

[​IMG]

20. srfman11

srfman11 Member

May 14, 2012
    cool

roy, i've lurked on swaylocks for a LONG time, and also lurk on here too. I can't say I like most of your boards. However, this 8'4", is superb.