Wetsuit Fit?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Onelove87, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Onelove87

Onelove87 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Always wondered this, how should a wetsuit really fit on someone? Is it best to get a suit that is tight on your skin or should it be lightly loose? Ive always had one that was tight around my chest and my thighs, is this correct or have I been a kook

2. SuddenlyPotatos

SuddenlyPotatos New Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Too tight around the chest and thighs? Get a girls wetsuit....

3. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    A wetsuit, as opposed to a drysuit, works by keeping insulated pockets of water in between your skin and the suit. Once your body warms the water up, the pockets keep you warm, thanks to the high specific heat of H20.

The larger the pocket of water, the warmer you will be. Thus you should always aim for large pockets in the most crucial areas of warmth.

4. Mvsurfer

Mvsurfer Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    The tighter it is, the better. Less water gets exchanged and your body stays warmer.A thin layer of water is all you need to stay nice n toasty

5. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    That might work for you, with a 7mm suit. 7mm and up to, say, 10mm, and you can get away with a thin pocket of water.

If your wetsuit is really tight, how do you fit the heat packs underneath it?

A XXXL 1mm suit should fit like a large garbage bag and provide enough space for a sufficient number of heat packs to keep you warm in any conditions. Why would you want the heat packs rubbing against your skin? That's just annoying.

6. ioman2

ioman2 Active Member

Oct 28, 2013
    local surf shops are usually good at helping you find the proper fit.

7. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    tight all around- except you need to have it not too tight that it would be unflexable. check out different brands- they are all cut a little different-example- im tall and thin- ripcurl and quicksilver seem to fit the best for me...

you want it to be tight agains your skin- but still have flex- specially in your shoulders. armpits can be loose-but you will lose warmth. make sure its not too tight across your back/shoulder blades- or else it will cause you pain after paddling for a while.

8. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I agree...a snug fit allows just a bit of water to seep in slowly = warmest, lightest.

9. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    You couldn't be more wrong.
    Wetsuits do not keep you warm by "large pocket's of water". they keep you warm by the tiny cells in neoprene filling with water and the thin layer of water between your body and the suit which are then heated by your body warmth.
    A wetsuit should not have any large pockets...if it does, it's too big for you.

10. Mvsurfer

Aug 27, 2013
    I mean, you could say that more warm water corresponds to a warmer wetsuit, but that isn't really the case. Once all those tiny neoprene cells fill with water and there's a thin layer of water between your skin, all you need is a little bit of body heat to heat that thin layer of water and neoprene. A baggy wetsuit results in water being exchanged, so all that energy that your body used to heat up the water you had is wasted. Just one thin layer in whatever it is, my 7 mil or just a 3-2, is the best way to go. There's a reason they glue and Blindstich seams on nicer wetsuits, to keep that layer of water warm and prevent it from being exchanged

11. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    a tighter suit is better than one that's slightly too big...and this would ideally be measured when the suit is wet/relaxed (so get it tighter than you think in the shop). Even then, finding a suit that fits perfect in all areas is probably not going to happen. Supposedly, chest and waist are the major areas that should be tight...and, of course, the arms and legs should be long enough.

12. pinkstink

pinkstink Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    First off, who the hell wears a 10 mm wetsuit?

Secondly, this sounds like a "Kooky Quote of the Year Candidate":

If your wetsuit is really tight, how do you fit the heat packs underneath it?

13. wave1rider65

wave1rider65 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Tight is right!! The suit will loosen up when it gets wet so you want it to be tight but comfortable.

14. Onelove87

Aug 8, 2012
    cool appreciate the input. Ive always rocked the excel suits and my 4/3 was to tight but that was because it was a 6 year old suit with the neoprene dried up mostly. The reason why I asked this in the first place was because I tried on a 4/3 excel dry lock in a medium and it seemed like it fit fine but just took me forever to put on. I want to get a 4/3 with a hood attached just worried it would fit weird on me, sounds like I'm over thinking this haha

15. Mvsurfer

Aug 27, 2013
    I don't know where your located, but for New England winters you need a 5 or 6 mil suit, or a 7 mil if you want to be nice n toasty like me

16. Onelove87

Aug 8, 2012
    I live in vabeach and rocked a 4/3 the last 6 years, I could get away with a 5/4 dead of winter but when you start to get into the early part of spring I feel like Ill start to get to hot in the water,

17. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I bought an Xcel hooded 4/3 last winter and absolutely love it. In winter I mostly surf VB but also try to get up to Chinco and other spots when the conditions are right. I never got cold last winter even in February. Virtually no leakage and the water just falls off tthe suit keeping me warmer especially when getting out of the water when cold is really against you. I also use 7ml boots and 5 ml gloves.

18. wave1rider65

wave1rider65 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Not sure if you do this but I always wear a pair of ankle socks when I put on a full suit. Helps tremendously with getting your legs in.

19. wavehog1

wavehog1 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2013
    "You couldn't be more wrong.
    Wetsuits do not keep you warm by "large pocket's of water". they keep you warm by the tiny cells in neoprene filling with water and the thin layer of water between your body and the suit which are then heated by your body warmth.
    A wetsuit should not have any large pockets...if it does, it's too big for you."

Thanks man, saved me the typing. Anyway I think Slashdog is a troll.

10mm wetsuits, pockets of water, heat packs..... good stuff!

By the way for all you dumdums.... that tape over the stitching is the radio active strips they put in there to make your wetsuit warm. How else would you heat up water like that? Your body heat... ha, that's a good one! In reality there's a actually a chemical reaction that takes place in the neoprene with the salt water and it activates the radio active tape strips. If your wetsuit is too tight or too loose the strips will not work properly.

Waverider, the sock trick works great but what you really want to do is get a couple of bottles of baby powder and one bottle of baby oil. Coat yourself in the baby oil and then dump the two bottles of baby powder on you. Then put your wetsuit on. Try not to get any on your ears.