Dane's awkward Surfer Poll speech

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Honey Holes, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    For a guy who chose the screen name 'Soulsurf4sure,' you place a lot of emphasis on the athletic aspect of surfing.

Sure, athletes are judged on their performance. But surfers are not your standard athlete- even a competitive, testosterone-in-his-veins, history-in-his-eyes type like Kelly Slater is doing something markedly different with his life than running the 40 yard dash.

F*ck contests... I know they have their place, and watching these guys go at it can be cool, but having someone represent the aspect of surfing that 99% of us experience is great. Stoner, awkward, dumbass, I don't care. Dude shreds beyond belief, and isn't driven to 'win.' He's driven to shred.

Corporations and the masses and the 'soul surfers' like you will always put the 'athlete' surfers on a pedestal. Kick back in your recliner, pop open another Vitamin Water, and enjoy the X-Games, 'soul surfer'.

2. bungalowparkbob

bungalowparkbob Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Yes beachbreak, there is an artistic aspect to surfing. The Beatles? No. But I'd consider all four of those guys artists.

3. primo

primo Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I thought thst went surprisingly well considering.

At least he didn't have Kelly heckling him afterwards!

4. Yewnorksurfsux

Yewnorksurfsux Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    A.k.a. as choking or STB ****ting the bed.

5. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    choking and sh!tting the bed?
    ss4s, that's an odd name to have with your attitude, your name should be sponseredcorpowhore4sure

choking in contests doesn't mean you aren't a talented genius, but keep up your facetious arguments if it makes you feel good

6. Yewnorksurfsux

Aug 27, 2009
    Just call it as I see it. Watched the contest. Sat looking to be classic pipe. Good opp for Dane to show what he got. Nope didn't make the cut. He will be drinking konas and laughing it up good on him. Wish I was there!

7. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I believe surfing is an art.and dane is artistic in his creative unique original style.but I wouldn't call him a renaissance man or an artist.and I wouldn't call jack Johnson one,either.they are great surfers.artists paint,sculpt,build.write or create music.etc..just my opinion.i guess dancers are artists,so i'll reconsider.i think surfing is more like dance than any sport.maybe you are right

8. bennysgohome

bennysgohome Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Dane can surf really well. You can't argue that point. You can say he is ****ing hypocrite. Someone against mainstream and corporate America, yet he sucks quicksilver's cock and gets a check from them. He's just like all the yuppies against corporate America and mainstream, and now they are all selling out just like the hippies. I have way more respect for a free surfer who isn't a hypocrite and can admit that he makes a living surfing. He doesn't say one thing and do another, like the typical hipster hypocrite. They are the first to sell out but he can shred.

9. SkegLegs

SkegLegs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Don't get me wrong, I love the guys surfing, but what the heck has he done artistic or creative. Drawing some stick figures on t-shirts (that were probably drawn for him) He just surfs a wave, really well. He's 28ish.....he's a professional athelete.......i GUARANTEE you he works out and trains. There is no way around it. He also has an assload of managers and handlers paid by Quiksilver to help push his image and stage him into things. Are you drones really that naive.

He is the highest paid athlete in surfing, he can't take a **** without his sponsors telling him how or where. I can't believe this **** really sells ****ty denim shirts........

10. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    he's a total hypocrite because he said all that **** when he left the pro tour and he still goes in contests,promotes ci boards. if he was so dora he wouldn't even go to the gay awards show let alone give a stupid acceptance speech for the ridiculous award trophy.i'm like what's he even doing there? he's way too cool to do that.moron or phony or hypocrite take your pick

11. Onelove87

Onelove87 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2012
    classic speech by dane, he kept it real with everyone there, nothing wrong with that at all

12. Honey Holes

Honey Holes Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2011
    im not sure about highest paid. Take a look at jj contract with hurley. Slater owns part of QS, he is the face of the company basically so his contracts are not small. These guys need to dip their hands elsewhere as slater did. the surfing career is just a portion of life. thats why many younger guys are getting college degrees and so forth because their parents know after surfing what are you gonna do? hopefully you can pull a job in the industry somewhere. if not that piece of paper from college is going to help who have it.

13. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    He was 4th on tour in 2010... Came in 2nd(to Kelly) last year in heavy French barrels... Choke? No. You call as you see it, but you obviously don't look at the big picture. You watched one heat and a awards ceremony, AKA party
    Someone has to lose every heat.

14. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    He creates his own films. And they are not the same as others, meaning they are creative... You may not like what he creates. But he has a vision and he makes it come to life.

15. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    How is he a hypocrite? He has always said he likes competing just not all the time... Bruce quit and surfs Pipe and the Eddie. Is he a hypocrite? No. He surfs events he wants to. Same as Dane.
    What's wrong with promoting CI boards? He's had more input in design than any other surfer. The boards he surfed in HI he made. Is that lame too?

16. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    I have never seen so much hate in my life against a mostly neutral character. Its not like hes one of the biggest most outspoken egos in surfing

Many 'pros' and industry turds who dont surf nearly as good as him have waaaay bigger egos and mouths

all this hate does not compute

17. Yewnorksurfsux

Aug 27, 2009
    Exactly. He loses which makes him a loser. He is not a champion and never will be.

18. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    How did your stint on the World Tour go?

19. Ripcurl058

Ripcurl058 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    I don't think its fair to relate his awkwardness with public speaking to having mental problems. Hell, I'm terrified of public speaking...I'd probably look the same, maybe even worse. So if that means I have mental problems then I need some serious help lol

and high?? maybe, but I don't think so. He's like that in nearly all of his interviews, but I mean if he's high all the time...good for him!