anyone ever try windsurfing?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by chicharronne, Dec 24, 2013.

1. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    It's kinda hard in as much as you need to know how to sail. Before I learned to drive a sailboat, my bud had a windsurf board. We were at Ocean Spew, on the bay with a crisp off shore breeze. It was August, and been a while since I surfed, so I gave it a go. After a few minutes I was up and going away from the beach. I was thinking how easy it was as I saw the houses getting smaller. realizing I didn't know how to go against the wind to get back, I let the sail pull me over........face first onto a bigazz jelly. Luckily it was the bay at low tide, so I walked back. So all the crap you see on tv and the internets, special effects.
    for example, in this vid, it pretty cool and there's guys eating crap in giant surf. I torn between it being faked because the guy takes his jet ski out by himself and, I guess, leaves it with a valet. but it could be his unattended ski getting tossed.

[video=youtube;Y4znK_XdzUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4znK_XdzUM[/video]

2. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I windsurfed for a number of years in the early-mid 80s while stationed in Pensacola and San Diego. Bought my rig new in 81 while in P'cola for about $750. I'd go out in bays or lakes. Never made it out into the ocean or the surf. The sport was very popular then until around the mid-90's or so. Don't see it much anymore. Kite surfing seems to have replaced windsurfing to fill that nitch. I sold my rig after moving to VB.

3. MFCondor

MFCondor Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Well until everyone started kiting, i know a few that have windsurfed. I have not. I've kited but i mainly just surf. Looks like a lot of work.

4. darippah

darippah Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    windsurfing is a sport of the past. it's all about kiting... my ideal conditions have become waist to chest high with 22mph South sideshore winds

5. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    i really wish i had a kite or wind board kite surfing is really popular here. ive seens some dudes lose a kite in 50knt winds the coast guard came in a chopper and took him away, while is expensive ass kite flu away.

6. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    #bestwindsinbelmarNJ

7. Cuck Taylor

Cuck Taylor Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    I think wind surfing needs to make a come back. There needs to be better more affordable light wind gear and I think it would be a hit. Cape cod and RI are still big sailing spots tho , seems like the conditions there makes sailing more practical than surfing as far as regularity in epic conditions goes.

I use my hobie when it's flat but wind is good. I reckon kiting or wind surfing could be the same substitute. The hobie is pretty epic tho. I recommend it.

8. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    there was a spot on the sound side of the road S of Rodanthe the called the Canadian hole, Constructed just for windsurfers. It's been 8 years but it was always packed. They had a crapper, and wind shields constructed for them. they were accepted even tho they were ferinners. But let a red blooded "Merkin Surfer park in the wrong location or direction, or have a towel fall while getting ready, and there's a giant ruckus.

9. MFCondor

Nov 30, 2013
    Man, You absolutely, positively, with every breath in your soul, love Belmar NJ. In fact, you speak of it so much i'm tempted to call my local surfing chapter and all 58 of us roll up in Belmar and surf like there is no tomorrow. What block do you surf on so we can meet?

10. MFCondor

Nov 30, 2013
    I have heard of people getting indecent exposure citations while dropping the towel. Whether intentional or not. all rumor of course so I'm not sure of the legitimacy of that info.

There are still a lot of windsurfers out there but kiting is a lot easier to do. Easier to learn, more freedom, and less to haul around.

11. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Dude you totally should, it'd be so worth the trip.

#OnceYouGoBelmarYouNeverGoBack

12. MFCondor

Nov 30, 2013
    I simply admire y'alls commitment to your spot.

13. jackrichard

jackrichard Active Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Many times i do wind surfing as it is but kiting, and we know that it is very easy. Windsurfing is very interesting sport and enjoyed by every one who do this, but in today scenario less no. of people do this. So we should advertise and promote the windsurf so that it should come back.

14. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    Are all those kites are inflatable? all the ones(2) I seen were. I'd prolly pop mine way out in the shipping lanes. I've been looking for an inexpensive way to ride water since waves are getting less and less. was going to get a SUP and john boat and meet up with freighters. But that's not economical I've found.

15. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Bro it's totally true! Invite everyone! Anywhere from 16th to 18th ave is the best spot in town!

#everyoneiswelcomeinbelmar
    #havepizzaafterwithgruvi

16. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    jackd!ck sees great potential for the banner market w/ windsurfing boards.

#windsurfersarewelcomeinbelmartoo

17. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    wasn't that replaced by kite boarding? Kiteboarding looks fun. But only the guys who are good at it. The guys who suck do not appear to be having any fun at all.

18. sailquik

sailquik Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2012
    I've windsurfed for 25 years (hence my handle).

Kited for one year and hated it.

Been surfing now for four years and love it, even though I knocked out three of my front teeth on my second year.

I started surfing because there was a year there where there were great swells and the wind was non-existent for weeks at a time. Kept at it because I enjoy the simplicity of just showing up with a board and not having to rig all the equipment.

Windsurfing is a lot of fun, but is not easy to learn - especially if you want to windsurf in the waves. Because it is challenging, it is much more rewarding. Prone surfing is similar in that way.

Kiting sucks a$$ because it is easy to learn and is usually done by arrogant douchetards that think they are hot sh1ts doing the latest "extreme" sport. Kiting in flat water is about as demanding and exciting as hanging from a clothesline in your backyard, yet surprisingly dangerous to you AND the people around you if you are the testosterone riddled, massively inked, protein powder chugging, spiky haired twenty year old crowd the sport attracts.

To me, kiters are the SUPers of the windsurfing world: Because it is easier, anyone can do it within a few days and it clogs the water with people who don't understand the rules of the road, safety and common sense.

BTW, that guy in the video is Jason Polakow - the guy surfs big waves, is a world champion windsurfer, kites and SUPs. Survived a 3 wave hold down at Peahi last year - look it up - super scary and makes you realize how difficult those conditions are, even while they make it look so easy. There's also some vids of him at Teauhupu (sp?) that are amazing.

For more vids, have a look at Robby Naish from the older generation and from the younger generation of windsurfers look at videos of Kai Lenny who is also one of the guys prone paddling at Peahi.

19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I windsurfed for many years surfing waves and it has many advantages over surfing... but one big disadvantage - no tuberides. The speed and power is unbelievable compared to surfing. It's best in long, lined up walls... even sectiony waves you can't make surfing... that lets you rip down the line and do big hard turns, then get big air sailing back up into the lineup. Best waves I've had windsurfing have been outer shoals around the inlets in South Jersey, where it's always bigger and trickier than the inside sandbars.

I've only kited a handful of times, but it seems to me to be the best of both worlds... surfing and sailing. Kite surfing uses smaller boards for better performance because you don't need the flotation that you do on a sailboard. Plus... you can get little barrels. The down side of both sailboarding and kitesurfing is the cost, and if you're looking for peak performance and pushing it to the max, you do go through equipment.

20. Cuck Taylor

Cuck Taylor Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013

Yo lb crew, you seem to know about wind surfing. In your opinion what's the best set up for a sail board that can efficiently tack upwind? It seems like all the fast boards never are sailing upwind but rather to some degree down wind ... I want to get a board that can get upwind well so I can really head out with it to find some solid breeze but not get stuffed if it's off shore