WaveStorm

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by waterbaby, Dec 26, 2013.

1. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    is it just on the west coast or is this chinese virus taking over the world?

[​IMG]

2. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2013
    would you say the wavestorms are taking the west coast by storm?

3. waterbaby

Oct 1, 2012
    owner?????

4. Exit98

Exit98 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2008
    i believe thats the board Costco sells... Pretty soon it'll be Channel Islands and Burton.

5. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2013
    hater.....

6. wavehog1

wavehog1 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Right up there with SurfTech!

If people would stop supporting this crap they wouldn't make them anymore!

Support your LOCAL shaper....

7. leetymike808

leetymike808 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013
    costco sells them super cheap to the masses. then Jaime O'brien takes them out to pipe and people then think they are cool and a worthy wave riding craft....

8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Looks like they stole Yer-Boy-Roy's parallel profile "foil." I think they owe him Roy-al-tees.

9. MFCondor

MFCondor Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Surftechs aren't terrible they're just commercialized. I have a firewire because they're wicked strong. They are also commercialized but better than surftechs IMHO. I will support local shapers if I find one that fits my needs and the price is decent.

I would never even look twice at that board in the OP. looks like a dog.

#IbetBelmarpeepsridethatstuff

10. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    I got one last year. broke it. the leash is held to the fin with a plastic bolt. didn't last a farting spell on an over waist day.

11. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    leety hit it, JOB took it out at pipe, AND you can break it up to 4x, take it back and get a new one (Costco return policies) ....they are like 199.99 so that works out to about 50 bux a board. I have seen up to a dozen kids all riding them together at small gas chambers, all the kids laughing and hitting each other on the same wave.

They do have a place, as you can get multiple riders on a single wave for a gaggle of fun, but overall they aren't performance oriented (obviously)

12. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    There appears to be a girl on one in the top portion of this pic. Similar conditions as you describe.
    http://www.surferdad.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/taiwan-crowded-surfing.jpg

13. waterbaby

Oct 1, 2012
    I gotta disagree - surftechs are terrible. They're extremely durable and look great, but they're stiffer than a 2x4 and slow. Couldn't get any real speed out of the one I had and turns felt very strange/forced.

not really hating on wavestorms so much as I'm wondering why so many decent surfers are buying them and riding them at the best spots...seems to me, if you can afford surfing at all, you can afford a real board made in USA. Where's the pride? Beginners learning and farting around on them at lesser quality spots is fine.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  14. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    They are not easy to ride in the tube. it's a challenge. It seems to me if you have the wave mastered, riding a wavestorm will make it more challenging, AKA JOB at pipe on one

not gonna lie, I will defend wavestorm

for one it KILLS your ego....I mean how 'cool' is it? not very, but how fun is it? VERY
    it strips down a lot of the BS and brings you back to a more childish and SHARING state of waveriding

15. mushdoc

mushdoc Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    I bought one of these for my wife to learn on. She was scared of my longboard after it hit her last year. She likes this because of all the foam. ( $ 80 at Costco)

16. Cuck Taylor

Cuck Taylor Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Very well said. But they most likely contribute to the land fills and sustain the throw away culture prevalent in the surf industry. Like you said tho, great for the points you made.

17. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I don't own one but I've seen plenty who do and they all seem to be having fun, and they earned that money most likely through hard work, so whatever they want to spend THEIR money on is fine with me. You'll never see me with one but who cares if someone else does? Hanna said it best though.... he's right

18. MFCondor

MFCondor Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2013

I see your point. I have a 6'10" Yancy Spencer (Boardworks edition - just like surf tech) and I don't have any of these complaints. on the flip side this is a fun shape and it is not meant for high performance but it does ride the barrel well.

19. BSnyder

BSnyder Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2013
    This would be a fitting end to any Wavestorm.
    Proper tool use.jpg

20. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    +1

Now that sir is funny!