Va Beach Camping/ Surf

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by washed up nova, Dec 29, 2013.

1. washed up nova

washed up nova New Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Anybody stay at First Landing State Park in Va Beach? Looks like its a fairly popular spot just reading reviews online (probably a bit too popular once the weather warms up). Very close to any surf spot in va beach/ sandbridge though. My brother and I are from northern virginia and are looking to get back in to surfing after a few landlocked years. Camping and surfing would be a weekend trip. Any input on where to stay is appreciated!

2. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    It's all right. My family camped there in tents several years ago. The restroom/shower facilities had been recently renovated. There are also cabins. First Landing SP is at the lower/southern end of Chesapeake Bay and adjacent to Cape Henry and Fort Story. I believe that reservations must be made through the VA State Park WEB site.
    There are also a couple of KOAs in VB, as well as one or two privately run campgrounds off of Sandbridge Road.

3. washed up nova

washed up nova New Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Thanks! Ill have to try to find the sandbridge spots. That sounds like it may be a much better location.

4. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Plan b

also give a thought to chincoteague - more swell, less crowd, prob cheaper to camp. beware
    feral cats in maddox campgroundā€¦also higher tides detrimental to surf. the new visitor center
    is boss especially the pic w/the warden and his birdshot tattoo..

5. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    If you have a boat, Cherrystone on the eastern shore. you can boat out to fishermans island.
    1st landing is 5 minutes from the N end of VB but the waves have sucked this year.

False Cape, on the other hand, breaks when nowhere else is. There's wilderness camping and a tram that runs occasionally.

6. Stranded in Smithfield

Stranded in Smithfield Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Go further South to Hatteras or North on the Eastern Shore... VB blows... traveling there for surf makes no sense.

7. northendcanyon

northendcanyon Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kinda gots to agree with SiS. If you're taking a shot in the dark and planning a camping trip for surf, best bet is down at the cape point in hatteras.

VA breaks like 6 days of the year where it's actually worth paddling out. And that's a good year. So you have better odds of winning the lottery than rolling to the beach randomly and getting on a decent wave.

8. MFCondor

MFCondor Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2013
    I agree with the is X2! Va Beach groups are ridiculous and the surf sucks. 1st street, everyone there thinks they're professional. good luck with that. I would say ES or OBX. I personally have had many good sessions from Chincoteague to Assateague

9. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Ya dude, I camped there- As far as a camp site- it's awesome! But easiest surf spot is VA beach- which is a good drive.. Plus you gotta go over the super long bridge and you gotta pay each time! If your looking to camp- it's cool I guess...

If you want to surf the KOA just south of va beach is really nice- like updated bathrooms and stuff. If you like rough camping there is a site - i think it's a state camp site? Just at the north tip of va beach.

BUT if you really want the full experience- head straight to Belmar,NJ- best waves on the east coast- perfect for learning plus the crowd is cool!!

#fullexperianceinbelmar

10. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    with any luck you can time it right and catch the grand opening of a chic fil a and camp out there. Shoot, that might even land you free chicken for a year. The surf is so-so. Bring your log. Actually, no, I think you meant to ask this about the outer banks, where there are campgrounds and waves.

11. Losttsol

Losttsol Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    First Landing is a pretty good campground, especially for cold weather. In the summer it's a little buggy. There are some good hiking and biking trails through the state park. If you surf near there you might actually see the elusive Northend Surfer, who raves about how good the waves are up there, but you never actually see them for yourself. Either way, you'll have the beach to yourself. Most people who live in the Northend don't actually use the beach. It's more of a status symbol for Richmond and Northern VA transplants.

12. MFCondor

MFCondor Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Hey PJB, Nicky Scarfo here. And you said I was to serious?? Check out this dude. Half his post is anger an**************'s.

Beerndwata, Bro, you think anywhere in jersey is a secret? Specially Belmar - they hold contests there all the time. Come on man. And you're the professional I was speaking about in my prior post. People would kill you if you said where the mysterious cereal bowls was??? Now that's just comical. Calm down there Brada.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  13. Dalarast

Dalarast Well-Known Member

May 2, 2013
    First Landing state park is a decent place to camp with access to the northend and biking and hiking trails across shore drive. But its a state park so no drinking.... which for me is as much as camping as marshmallows fireside. But KOA and Holiday Travel are closer to the southside and sandbridge and private run. They get busy in the summer but some of it is Canadian tourists and the others ny and nj oldies in rvs. And as mentioned earlier a lot of private spots on the way into sandbridge and also out in pungo. But the best spot is still false cape for camping and semi obx surf

I see I go away for a bit and the vb sucks is still there... well I'm just happy that when I'm home I can grab my board and paddle out and enjoy a wave... be it knee high or wind slop.. I still get to paddle out and ride.