New York Long Island tomorrow

Discussion in 'Weather and Surf Forecasting' started by highvelocity, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    You people are over-analyzing and making bigger deals aboot stuff.

When surfing in the winter, in the NE, 20 degree air temps and sturdy off shores are not uncommon. It's the friggin way it's supposed to be.

It's winter.

Y'all analyze the swell direction, the drift, the air temps, the water temps, the wind speed.........where to change into your suit......where to change out of your suit..............

This is absurd. If you are a surfer......then surf. Stop looking for reasons to give it a pass. The waves are either worth it or they ain't.

If it's too big/hairy for you, that's fine. Just admit it. Yeah, it sucks eating your pride, but don't blame the friggin OFFSHORE wind speed. Just say, " Too big for me.....too chunky for me." Learn to accept yourself and limitations. If winter ain't your bag, then hang it up until May

You can be cold and stay out. It's when you start becoming disoriented and confused that you have a problem.

Wow, another winner of a post.

2. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012

3. Paddington Jetty Bear

Apr 23, 2013

Foolhardy and DANGEROUS? Really............

Headline: Asbury Park Press.........Belmar, NJ Three youths died while changing out of their wet suits yesterday, reports Belmar Chief of Police, Thomas Palmasano. "Yeah, uh, the three surfers exited the water, and were in the midst of peeling their wet suits off when the cold attacked and killed them. They died right on the spot."

OMG, the surf world has been commandeered by metrosexuals.

4. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    bingo.

wow...i am actually siding w/ PJB! :eek:

5. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    i understand if people older when i get that age i will do the same but i wont because ill never live above the mason dixon again, if its cold and there is big macking belmar barrels and your like its to cold to go out? did what shorted you brain out?

#seldomseenwouldgo
    # itsallwayssunnyinbelmar
    #fishtacosforlunch
    #wavesfordinner
    #pjbforgovernerofdahjersey
    #punpingswelltomarrow

6. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    i only use it on the coldest of days & put it on after everything else (expect for my gloves, obviously) is on. i think the trade-off is worth it; i'd rather not be distracted by my face feeling frost-bitten when i'm looking to pull into some frosty shacks. most of it has been washed away by the time my session is over & i'm pretty aggro about rinsing my suit after those surfs.

7. SkegLegs

SkegLegs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Lots of east fetch in this one if the models hold. Always an undercall in this situation for jersey south.

8. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    v a s e l i n e

u got dat rite - any face plant is a huge worry. a knee to the nose is another fun one.
    do you do this (long boarders etc don't)….trying HARD to catch the wave; one pushes down
    on nose (of board) with chin.

9. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    not saying i wouldn't do it if i had to, but w/ the air & wind temps forecasted tomorrow, i'd actively try to avoid it. i hardly think being informed & mildly cautious makes one a metrosexual.

10. surfsolo

surfsolo Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    If you have to ask you shouldn't be out. period.

11. Paddington Jetty Bear

Apr 23, 2013
    Only the dumb side against me. Dude, I got 17 votes. 17 !!!

Dude, I've been nothing but nice to you. You got all tizzy aboot Manco's and Manco's and how uncool the boardwalk is(was). I stepped-up for the boardwalk and Manco's. I got a little too animated and apologized, publicly.

My apology to you is what lead to the heat SJB(God Bless his soul) took from Sturgis Powell and some other angry east coast sponge fanatic. You ruined SJB. That's what lead to his downfall.

So, step-up and be nice, eat Manco's & Manco's, walk the boardwalk, peel of your suit outside and jump in your ride and crank the heat(THE BEST FEELING...it's almost like diacetylmorphine.....almost.)

Now shake off the past, and go to the MEMBER OF THE YEAR thread and vote for SELDOM SEEN.

Stop foresaking me, please. I got 17 votes...almost 60% of the votes. Now, you be good to me, you hear.

And I wasn't really referring to you as the Mertosexuals. I think you actually surf in the winter, frequently........

12. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Im a year rounder too on LI and I have never had the feeling that my face was too cold.

13. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    Paddington relax bro.... I can tell when you're getting bent on a subject cause you don't use the word "aboot".

14. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I do agree with this as well. A lot of people blame weather when the waves are too big for them...

But in this case, 40 mph offshores is heavy, especially when it's 20 degrees... It could be knee high and would keep most out of the water.

15. Paddington Jetty Bear

Apr 23, 2013
    Dude, "ABOOT" is in the, like, fourth sentence......

16. Mad Atom

Mad Atom Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    You just won a Swellie nomination for 2014 HARDASS OF THE YEAR.

17. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    haha, this is pretty accurate.

18. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    apologies Mr. Jetty Bear.

19. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009

you gotta take your own advice & leave the past behind, my man. that whole manco & manco/b-walk thing was 2 years ago, right when you started posting here. i'll never willingly eat manco & manco's, but i have b-walk dates w/ my wife now & then & take my godson up to ride the rides in the off-season.

now, who can tell me if i need my 9'1.5" gun in ocnj tomorrow??