WARP Drive BLEF foil fins ready to go

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by Roy Stuart, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Cuck Taylor

Cuck Taylor Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    image.jpg

Yess! This is such a cool fin Roy! Thanks for sending it my way, I'll be sure to keep some feedback about my experience with it. For now it's probably gonna get put into one of my Malibu boards ! Plus now I get to look at it and make one from wood which is my ultimate goal. Thanks so much, let's all have a great new year in the water, I'm off to a good start :)

2. White Sea Ape

White Sea Ape Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Wow Charles u got one of theses huh? Please give some reviews,, ride report, pics , more pics, just don't sonic clap me please thanks

Roy your article on surfer mag is a good read, it's nice too see work like this coming out of a closed shop industry.
    http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2599817&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

What's the deal with these bumpy leading edges.. ? What's this ? http://mimiksurf.com .. That raked dolphin fin with the blef looks so dumb and utterly pointless.

3. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    image.jpg

Surfed a cold and windy chest high beach break this morning before the cold set into my bones.. Rocked the blef fin on this hp veneer long board of mine, it holds down the line damn well. The drive from a hard pivot bottom turn is nice too, much more power than the whimpy raked single fin I've rocked on this board in the past. Easily jam off the top to lay back into prone for a paddle out..

4. Roy Stuart

Roy Stuart Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Hi Charles,

Thanks for taking the fin out for a ride. I'm glad that it goes well in your longboard! What you have is the first 3d printed prototype in ABS. It isn't quite as strong as polycarbonate but should be up to the job. ABS is affected by UV light over the long term so a UV resistant polish ( maybe a car polish) might be a good idea.

5. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Wow so you sold him an inferior product that he has to do some of his own finish work on! Bet Greenbough and the other fin guys you said your sh!t was better than never had to tell their customer, "oh yeah rub some car polish on it so the sun don't fu(k it up, but thanks for the $150+ ya chump" What a tool!

Vote Rcarter in 2014 Because if we all work together we can all hate everybody.

6. leetymike808

leetymike808 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Design it with one of those turbo tunnels and you're blowing peoples minds!!!!

Think about it, all im sayin.

7. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Carter, look up planned/engineered obsoloscence.

Seems like a good move by Roy to sell a cheaper version of your product that may break with the hopes that the user will be hooked and buy the deluxe version next time.

It worked for you with that first free dime bag remember?

8. rcarter

Jul 26, 2009

So planned/engineered obsoloscence according to the definition:

planned obsolescence
    n
    1. the policy of deliberately limiting the life of a product in order to encourage the purchaser to replace it. Also called: built-in obsolescence

In other words a hustle perpetrated by the Gnome to release a sh!tty fin so that Chucky will buy the better one second time around? That makes about as much sense as a 13 foot wooden board, oh wait Roy makes those too, now I see the light.

And the first time I got a bag I bought a quarter, I did not screw around with that small dime bag crap from some street pusher. In addition I don't think Chucky got the fin free according to his post that he placed and order so the idea that Roy used it to lure him in like a drug pusher is not applicable.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  9. ClemsonSurf

Dec 10, 2007
    Maybe you missed my point. Our friend Roy is saying, "hey, I understand you bought the bargain model, here's a way for you to make it last longer pal."

Similar stresses are being placed on all fins so maybe Mr. Greenough (not greenbough, you should google that one next) could have given his customers some maintenance tips. There's really no harm in it. Roy stated from the beginning his ABS is weaker than the poly. Caveat Emptor, Chuck made his decision, why is that any of your concern Carter?

In the battle between creating and hating the haters always lose. Maybe that's why they're so mad.

10. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    What are your thoughts about brushing on some graphite and resin then finish sanding by hand. ?

11. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    Carter, Roy gave me the fin to test because he trusts my feedback ya nerd!! Lol. I didn't get hustled and I never do anyways. Besides abs is fine this fin is wicked strong. If my non skinned wooden fin can take loads of leverage this shorter and more solid fin will work very well.

12. rcarter

Jul 26, 2009
    First Roy may be your firend but not mine. Second get your head out of your A$$ and learn to read, Roy never stated until after Charles got and posted his review of the fin that it was a prototype or "bargin" model and even showed pics of other finished fins in different colors. Third coating the fin in car poish was to keep it from UV damage and not to help with normal stress from surfing so why would any other designer offer similar advice to their customers when they just finish the fins properly or use the correct material? Fourth bite me you second grade spelling teacher, sorry my finger slipped and I misspelled George's name. And fifth why is my concern any concern of yours? Riddle me that fu(ktard. I was speaking to Roy and by virute Charles as his customer, if you want to come on into the sh!t storm then lets go nancy.

And Charles now you say Roy gave you the fin to try cause he trusts your opinion, why not say that before? If he did then that is great, I just find it funny if he sold you a "prototype" that in his own words is weaker and needs to be treated to protect it from sun (cause you know we never take surfboards out in daylight!) since you and him are such good chums. Keep in mind too it was Clementine that sugested Roy pulled the ol planned obsolescence thing on ya, not me.

Man am I gald this thread is back alive, I'll have HOTY for 2014 locked down before January is done.

13. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013

rcarter you have once again jumped to erroneous conclusions.

Anyway, ABS is used for the initial prototypes, I just thought that Charles might enjoy trying the fin out so sent it as a gift.

14. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    I wouldn't bother, just ride it, if you want to improve the surface some wet sanding with 400/600/800 sandpaper is the way to go. Finishing with graphite will take many hours, you'll get sand through and have to recoat many times, plus the graphite will make runs and drips, so you'll be worse off as soon as it goes on. Also the fore and aft grooves are beneficial to the water flow.

If you like the fin we can organise a polycarbonate one.

15. ClemsonSurf

Dec 10, 2007
    Yes, he never said it was a prototype but he did say he that he did extensive testing in ABS and Poly and found poly was stronger but more expensive. You know something Carter... There are two types of people out there: 1) Those who can pull information from incomplete data. 2)

Thanks for the invitation and I would have taken the bait a while ago but I'm not that interested anymore. I had an epiphany one day that I was "e-hanging out" with a lot of people like you and to be quite honest... that's not my scene. Believe me, I'm trying to break my swellinfo habit but it's too hard, thanks for making it a bit easier for me though.

16. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    I've been using tunnel fins since 1998 and am a great believer in them, but not the 'tunnel on a stick' turbo tunnel type, which we've tried. They are not ideal for several reasons.

We use half pipe tunnels behind the single fin or in place of rear thruster or quad fins. We'll have some polycarbonate ones available in a few weeks time. They'll be tabbed for fin boxes or with a no tab option. The half pipe tunnels are so stable that they can be installed just with a bead of silicone gutter sealant, that way they can be used on boards ( like 70's singlefins for example) without having to add fin boxes, and they can be removed without damaging the board.

17. rcarter

Jul 26, 2009
    Glad I could help Nancy Boy. Hell if I can quit pot after 20+ years surely quitting SI should be easy for you.

And Clementine if you are leaving let me be the first to say:
    Later_bitch.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  18. rcarter

Jul 26, 2009

No erroneous conclusion, you said it was not as strong as the production ones and I asked why you would sell it to him that way. Then Clementine brought up the whole sending a crappy product to someone to lure them in to get the better one later like drug pushers do. If you sent it to him to test free of charge then I fully understand and respect that. I used to test new skateboard decks for my sponsor before we sent them to market but I never paid for a prototype.

19. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013

Cheers Roy. I guess in a way your wet suit has lived up to the Santa appearance! Lol.

My offer is this, if any dude in the NewEngland area wants to come to my local break (one of the non secret spots I frequent) I would let you attach this fin to your long board for one hour and only at a sandy break. I'm being genuinely serious.

20. ClemsonSurf

Dec 10, 2007
    Nice meme. Ya got me. Your grasp of internet antics impresses me. It's like I'm in a surfing internet version of Mean Girls.

Nancy boy out for now.