What's your record for most consecutive days surfed?

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by viajerodevida, Jan 14, 2014.

1. viajerodevida

viajerodevida Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2012
    There was a guy on here from somewhere in the mid-atlantic who was surfing every day for a year. Did he make it?

This is easier to do in consistent waves when you're on the right coast of course. Well... the right coast is the wrong coast and the left coast is the right coast.
    So right is left and wrong is right.

Before I left the right (left) coast and moved to the right (wrong) coast I never managed more than 10 days in a row, which is pitiful. I knew guys who were going 70+ days, but that meant they were getting wet on the way to work or during lunch which I could never do. I'm also an addict so I was never able to hop in the water for two or three waves and then leave; once I'm wet I gotta stay a while. And my stats on the right (wrong) coast are worse. I've passed up righteous leftover rights for the right or wrong reason more than I care to admit, but I can see that if I somehow made it a month I'd go for 2 months. But 467 months?

Today marks the 14 thousand and 14th consecutive day of surfing for Dale Webster. That's crazy impressive... and tens of thousands of ridden waves, 30+ wetsuits, 30+ boards, gallons of piss, pounds of wax, and apparently, lots of stoke.

Here he is on January 1st, 2014 with his umpteenth Campbell Bros Bonzer pintail and magic brownies. Right on Dale!!! Hope you someday make it to the cover of Surfer mag.

[​IMG]

http://youtu.be/VYmgZSJlDDs?t=16m47s

"Dale Would Go."

2. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Yes, Kurebeachsurfer did his year strait.
    I watched Dale in "Step Into Liquid." I wonder how much his used ball of wax weighs now?

3. KillaKiel

KillaKiel Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    This dude is cool. To be honest, I get out quite a bit in the Mid-ATlantic, but it can literally be ripple-less out there and the longboard will be defeated.

Here's a question for your wave addicts; is is surfing if you go out on a flat day, paddle 20 blocks for instance, and ride that one ripple that had just enough to push you? It's only a matter of time before the SurfBoards Hawaii gets wet again!

4. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    The one that comes to mind and is most recent lasted 5 days during the Leslie swell. Surfed M-F. Not even close to 14k

5. surfrr

surfrr Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    A few years back there was a guy in NH that would surf every day. We called him Old Man Hampton but I think his name was Ralph. He documented surfing 365 days a year but not sure how many years he did it for. It's by no means the accomplishment of 14,000 consecutive days but he was out in tough winter conditions with full gear every day.

6. David

David Well-Known Member

May 24, 2006
    I live 3 hours from the nearest surf break and set a modest goal to surf at least once month, every month. Having a full-time job and other distractions I made it just about 9 years (most months surf many more times than just once), I got sick in late Dec. of last year, was planning to go when my wife went into premature labor (2 weeks early) so my daughter was born on the 30th and that shot my goal of making it to 10 years was over, but I can now blame my daughter for the rest of her life :cool: While not even close to as impressive as everyday it was a goal of mine I had a lot of other inland surfers rooting for me and it was a lot of fun. Daughter just turned a year so hoping to surf a lot more this year than last year.

7. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Have the same problem and the same goal, David. I'm a "summer local." I have a place at the beach but work 3 hours from there and make it a goal to get a "trip" in at least once a month, but I'm just at three years now. Hope to keep going for as long as I can. Most days in a row 12. No biggy by any stretch. Surfed with the flu once, to get that 2nd year completed... That was no fun. Congrats on the kid. She'll be a new surf partner in a few years!

8. David

David Well-Known Member

May 24, 2006
    Thanks, she's already had swim lessons and seems to be a natural in the water, or as much as any 12 month old could be. the first summer I was just summer local only, but I ended up marrying a girl who is from the DE beach area and that really was the key to keeping my streak and surfing as much as I am able to.

9. RIsurfer

RIsurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Same, 2 1/2 hours away, most days consecutively; 3.

10. Gary Williams

Gary Williams Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2013
    you all need a different hobby. If the waves are ankle high theres no point going out. I know Jamie obrien fishes when pipes not going off

11. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Damn Gary don't be a Gloomy Gus.

12. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Six days. Never will do that again. old Shoulders squeak without getting 24 hours rest.

13. AndrewIfallalot

AndrewIfallalot Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    I don't know how you east coast guys do it. It was TERRIBLE here from early August until October and I still paddled out once a week just so I didn't become an angry person. If I don't get a minimum of 3 surf days per week I freak out

14. ocsurf32

ocsurf32 Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    420 days consecutively

15. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    I got 50 days in this year, not consecutive but it was the most I ever surfed in my life. And was set as a goal since I turned 50 this year. Mother ocean almost kept me from reaching it. An hour away from the beach, with wife, my own company and 2 very over achieving, sports and clubs kids. I did get some of the best swells and sessions I've ever had.

16. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Me too.
    Over the past year, I averaged 3x/wk (157 days); but since X-mas, it's been 1x/week.
    Most days in a row: 5. The Navy base where I work is right on the beach, so I've squeezed in 3 sessions on a few days last summer-early fall.
    But if it starts becoming a chore to go out, maybe it's time to back off a bit and do something different for awhile. Variety never hurts. Or, if you're married, take care of those long outstanding honey-do's at home. Frosty's kitchen cabinets in Chasing Mavericks come to mind.

17. MrMacdugal

MrMacdugal Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Surfed with this guy and his crazy son many a times. Without going into detail, I cant stand these guys. They think they are so entitled to whatever spot they end up at on any given day. I have had words with both him and his son. They can be tolerated in moderate doses, but the sheer douchiness of them makes my skin crawl. It makes me feel bad that they represent us as surfers when the rest of us are not around to testify against it. I have read Ralph's blog from time to time, but its pretty annoying. His intentions are right, but he pretty damn arrogant. There are so many of us who get along out there, why toss these guys who get agro about waist high waves into the mix. We all want waves, but get over yourself. N.O.Y.A.

18. surfislife

surfislife Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Haha too funny Mcgregorsmith i thought his son would be on the world tour by now. I check his blog out for the photos but never actually read the stuff he writes.

19. wavehog1

wavehog1 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Don't think I've ever kept track... surely I'm nowhere around the 14,000 mark! That's pretty impressive! You are definitely one with the ocean racking up all that time spent in the water. Hell I bet every sea creature out there knows the guy!

Though not consecutively I'm pondering trying to figure out how many times I've actually paddled out?!

20. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I just wonder about the roughest,storm surf days...if his criteria is 3 waves, how could you paddle out on days like when it's a really rough northeast here and surf 3 waves?